PDA

View Full Version : Desmond and his ancestors

TasBlue1234
11-13-2010, 04:51 AM
Ok, this has been bugging me for sometime. Hopefully someone can enlighten me. When desmond uses an animus, what exactly happens? Does he enter the body of his ancestor and see through their eyes? Or is he controlling them via 3rd person like we are when playing? Also, if desmond is controlling Altair/Ezio how does he know what to say? This has just been troubling me for some time...

**SPOILER FOR AC2*****
*****SPOILER FOR AC2**
**SPOILER FOR AC2*****

When desmond exits the animus and experiences his "visions" and is suddenly warped into Acre controlling Altair, he says "That must be his target" as if he is watching what is happening. Then when he jumps from the tower after partaking in intercourse with maria (I think that was her name) he dives from the tower, however the camera doesn't follow, it pans back to maria. Desmond says something about him not staying with Altair which confused me even further. So I am guessing Desmond sees his ancestors through 3rd person, but thats seems odd to me. Please if you have any info on this please post a message. Thank you.

muzzyb
11-13-2010, 05:05 AM
not sure about the first one.

But the second one, the animus follows the next in line, so it would show the baby in maria, so you can't follow altair anymore.

magesupermaster
11-13-2010, 05:07 AM
To answer your questions;
1) The Animus lets its user to view genetic memories that are encoded within the user's DNA, the user actually 'relives' the ancestor's memories but he can't fully interact with the ancestore's enviroment.
2) The scene with Altair was caused by a side effect from using the Animus for a long period of time, this effect is called the Bleeding Effect.
3) The 'camera' that panned to Maria is hinting that Maria has become pregnant from Altair.
4) Also, the user relives the ancestor's memories from a first persom prespective.

KrYpToNiC95
11-13-2010, 05:08 AM
Tha Animus basically gives Desmond full control of his ancestors body. He chooses everything that happens. He re-lives memories but has to carry out what actually happened. When Desmond experiences the visions, that's the Bleeding Effect. He gets it because of his long exposure to the animus, I think it makes it difficult for him to distinguish what is reality and what is from the animus.

RandomRansom
11-13-2010, 05:13 AM
Originally posted by TasBlue1234:
Ok, this has been bugging me for sometime. Hopefully someone can enlighten me. When desmond uses an animus, what exactly happens? Does he enter the body of his ancestor and see through their eyes? Or is he controlling them via 3rd person like we are when playing? Also, if desmond is controlling Altair/Ezio how does he know what to say? This has just been troubling me for some time...

**SPOILER FOR AC2*****
*****SPOILER FOR AC2**
**SPOILER FOR AC2*****

When desmond exits the animus and experiences his "visions" and is suddenly warped into Acre controlling Altair, he says "That must be his target" as if he is watching what is happening. Then when he jumps from the tower after partaking in intercourse with maria (I think that was her name) he dives from the tower, however the camera doesn't follow, it pans back to maria. Desmond says something about him not staying with Altair which confused me even further. So I am guessing Desmond sees his ancestors through 3rd person, but thats seems odd to me. Please if you have any info on this please post a message. Thank you.

I don't believe the Animus puts you into the head of your ancestor. I think it is third person for Desmond.

SPOILER ALERT for ACII ending

I say this mainly because Minerva talks to Desmond by looking into the camera (looks at us the gamers). Ezio then looks where she is looking and comments on how no one else is here. This is the only evidence I can use to support the third person theory.

Think of the no longer following Altair thing like this... Desmond is accessing his ancestors genetic memory. He is related to Altair through Altair and Maria's baby. This means that once that child was conceived, Altair had passed on his genetic memory to his offspring. Any new memories and experiences that Altair had from then on can't be passed on through genetic memory to that child... hence, Desmond would not be able to follow Altair anymore (does not have access to Altair's genetic memory beyond that point in time).

Hope that helped. And welcome to the forum! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

obliviondoll
11-13-2010, 05:27 AM
One part that hasn't been mentioned:

How Desmond knows what to say.

He's reliving ancestor's memories.

The words are a part of the memory, and come with it. He doesn't KNOW, he REMEMBERS. That's what the animus does.

ctuagent15
11-13-2010, 05:31 AM
This is what I posted in a topic before ac2 come out to help explain it, so i'll post it here

I'l try and explain it.

This is how I think it works, I hope it helps.

The animus does not just read the genetic memory's like a movie, in order to gain access to his/her ancestors memories the subject has to be in sync with the ancestor, to get in sync the subject has to relive there ancestors life at around the time of the memory there trying to access, meaning they have to be the ancestor, act like them, do things they did and don't do things they wouldn't do.

How the animus allows the subject to relive there ancestors life is by using historic records and there genetic memory to create a virtual world with all of the places and people that the ancestor know of at that point in his/her life.

It then give's the subject fall control of there ancestor, there then free to do what they want, but in order to gain access to any important memories, like conversations they had or things they witnessed, they have to reenact what there ancestor did leading up to them as closely as possible.
For example, this say that the ancestor had a conversation with someone that he/she was sent to kill, but this person was in hiding, the ancestor had to find him then kill his bodyguards to get to him, then before he killed him they had a chat, if the subject wants to gain access to this conversation he/she has to reenact the search and the killing of the bodyguards, but does not have to do them in the same way.

obliviondoll
11-13-2010, 05:34 AM
Well said by assassin_ki2007

Apart from the atrocious spelling and grammar.

I hope English isn't your first language. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

ctuagent15
11-13-2010, 05:45 AM
Originally posted by obliviondoll:

I hope English isn't your first language. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

What atrocious spelling, I'v run it though the spell checker and the only thing wrong was I used there instead of their.

I'm from the UK, so yes English is my first language

PhiIs1618033
11-13-2010, 05:55 AM
Originally posted by assassin_ki2007:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by obliviondoll:

What atrocious spelling, I'v run it though the spell checker and the only thing wrong was I used there instead of their.

I'm from the UK, so yes English is my first language </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Mispelled words like 'aloud' instead of 'allowed' aren't picked up by the spellchecker.
You sentence with 'fall' should be 'full', but since 'fall' is an actual word, the spellchecker doesn't see it as wrong.

Your English is fine, it's much better than that of most people on the internet.

obliviondoll
11-13-2010, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by PhiIs1618033...:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by assassin_ki2007:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by obliviondoll:

Mispelled words like 'aloud' instead of 'allowed' aren't picked up by the spellchecker.
You sentence with 'fall' should be 'full', but since 'fall' is an actual word, the spellchecker doesn't see it as wrong.

Your English is fine, it's much better than that of most people on the internet. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It's decent, but I wouldn't call it fine for someone in the UK. And while it's better than a lot of what I've seen, most people who are as bad or worse are either deliberately typing shorthand/leet/txtspeak, or English isn't their first language.

But back on topic...

He was pretty much right in his explanation, which was the main reason I was commenting. It was a good post, and I was only meaning the spelling comment as a small aside from things.

Have to comment though, I don't think the animus uses historical records, only the ancestor's memories.

ctuagent15
11-13-2010, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by PhiIs1618033...:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by assassin_ki2007:

Your English is fine, it's much better than that of most people on the internet. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just don't think that 3/4 spelling mistakes can be called atrocious.
I don't like it when I see someone give someone grief for a few spelling mistakes

dchil279
11-13-2010, 07:27 AM

**SPOILER FOR AC2*****
*****SPOILER FOR AC2**
**SPOILER FOR AC2*****

That is a good point, I think what he says in the Acre Scene is what he was thinking.

ctuagent15
11-13-2010, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by obliviondoll:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PhiIs1618033...:

It's decent, but I wouldn't call it fine for someone in the UK. And while it's better than a lot of what I've seen, most people who are as bad or worse are either deliberately typing shorthand/leet/txtspeak, or English isn't their first language.

But back on topic...

He was pretty much right in his explanation, which was the main reason I was commenting. It was a good post, and I was only meaning the spelling comment as a small aside from things.

Have to comment though, I don't think the animus uses historical records, only the ancestor's memories. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm shocked that you think a few spelling mistakes are so bad and that it's not good for someone from the UK, not that its anyone's business but I happen to be dyslexic.

anyway back on topic

When I said that it uses historical records I didn't mean that it uses them for stuff that happens in the ancestor's life, but for stuff like the layout of towns, the colour of buildings, any information that is missing from the ancestors memory, Yes, most of this info will come from the memory's of the ancestor, but I'm sure they can't remember every little detail.

So I'm sure if there is any missing information for stuff like that then the animus will look at any historical records for it, if it can't find any it will then makes it up

lilbacchant
11-13-2010, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by assassin_ki2007:
When I said that it uses historical records I didn't mean that it uses them for stuff that happens in the ancestor's life, but for stuff like the layout of towns, the colour of buildings, any information that is missing from the ancestors memory, Yes, most of this info will come from the memory's of the ancestor, but I'm sure they can't remember every little detail.

So I'm sure if there is any missing information for stuff like that then the animus will look at any historical records for it, if it can't find any it will then makes it up

I think you're mostly spot-on, but let me add a little depth and, perhaps, a few tweaks.

Human memory in some ways is analogous to the way computers store data, but is also different in a few key ways. Primarily, there's no "file index" where memory is concerned -- i.e., no list stating where to retrieve a specific memory. Secondly, memory isn't stored in anything resembling linear fashion and, therefore, what connects one memory to another has little to do with when it happened time-wise. Lastly, for our purposes, memory isn't a long, continuous file or video of our experiences; instead, it's more of a bunch of isolated snippets or trailers, if you will.

With those factors in mind, the animus isn't simply a projector that is fed film from an individuals dna. The animus is limited by the above constraints of how human memory functions and that is why, e.g., Desmond can't simply 'jump' to an isolated memory.

The animus is a computerized device that creates a VR experience that *enables*, or facilitates, an individual's recall of memories. This created experience acts to link memories together in a somewhat linear, timely fashion.

In this regard, I would dare say that the huge majority of what Desmond experiences in the animus is not actual memory, but simply experiences supplied by the animus to trigger actual memories. In effect, the cut-scenes are the actual memories, and most of the rest is "filler" put there by the animus. It gets this filler-material via basic programming; from a historical database supplied, e.g., in AC2, by Shaun; and by making educated guesses based upon the content of actual memories as they are recalled.

Think of it this way: if I asked you to remember everything you could from your life ten years ago, even after days, weeks, and even months of writing said memories down as you recall them, you'd still have a rather paltry list compared to the amount of experiences you really had; and, of course, you wouldn't recall these experiences as linear events -- they'd jump back and forth across the year.

However, if I could put you in a hypnotic, dream like state that included all of the sights, smells and sounds from ten years ago, you're mind could naturally follow the complex-web that connects memories as a linear experience.

I'd say more, but at this point I've already rambled on like an idiot that thinks he actually knows something of importance. That's right, I've opened my mouth and proven that I'm a long-winded fool.

TasBlue1234
11-13-2010, 06:48 PM
Ok, thanks for your comments. Specifically 'lilbacchant' you have proven to be most insightful. When playing and you begin a memory sequence or "Mission" I believe it says 'memory begun' or something. This makes me think about what you said...when travelling across cities to reach the destination or you could say gameplay are when desmond is controlling ezio in the memory, however during cutscenes they are the real memories played back. Althought this theory is counteracted. There are several parts of the game where you walk with another character to reach a certain destination, during these sequences Ezio speaks with said characters. This would mean these parts of the game are also memories being played back, although we are controlling ezios movement.

So this leaves me confused again, I wish I could just email someone at ubisoft about this...it's bugging me XD.

lilbacchant
11-13-2010, 07:27 PM
Althought this theory is counteracted. There are several parts of the game where you walk with another character to reach a certain destination, during these sequences Ezio speaks with said characters. This would mean these parts of the game are also memories being played back, although we are controlling ezios movement.

Well, not all memories are created equal, so to speak. Some will be quite clear with a full experience, whereas others might be somewhat vague.

E.g., suppose that I remember two vivid experiences from five years ago: an argument with my girlfriend; and some great (ahem!) make-up sex the next day. In between those two events, I remember being at a coffee shop with a few friends, but I don't really remember what
was said other than a couple of topics that were covered.

Okay, now I'm in the animus recalling those two days. The two vivid memories are displayed as cut-scenes, whereas the coffee shop maintains more of the open-world experience because the animus is fleshing out most of the details (extrapolating from what I do remember), including the dialogue for the most part.

So this leaves me confused again, I wish I could just email someone at ubisoft about this...it's bugging me XD.

Don't sweat it. It's almost certain that we're nitpicking the details of the animus way more than the storywriters are. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

xsatanicjokerx
11-13-2010, 07:36 PM
Ok, thanks for your comments. Specifically 'lilbacchant' you have proven to be most insightful. When playing and you begin a memory sequence or "Mission" I believe it says 'memory begun' or something. This makes me think about what you said...when travelling across cities to reach the destination or you could say gameplay are when desmond is controlling ezio in the memory, however during cutscenes they are the real memories played back. Althought this theory is counteracted. There are several parts of the game where you walk with another character to reach a certain destination, during these sequences Ezio speaks with said characters. This would mean these parts of the game are also memories being played back, although we are controlling ezios movement.

So this leaves me confused again, I wish I could just email someone at ubisoft about this...it's bugging me XD. And dident you hate that when following someone they either went a little to fast so you walk a bit then have to run to catch up to them. Or really slow so that you had to wait for them to catch up. I hope they have fixed this in brotherhood

lilbacchant
11-13-2010, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by xsatanicjokerx:
And dident you hate that when following someone they either went a little to fast so you walk a bit then have to run to catch up to them. Or really slow so that you had to wait for them to catch up. I hope they have fixed this in brotherhood

Yeah, that was an annoying gameplay mistake: you can easily move at any speed, except the speed at which everyone else walks.

TasBlue1234
11-13-2010, 10:36 PM
haha, yea, I just finished my pre brotherhood playthrough yesterday, and that annoyed me so much. Especially when following someone who walks faster than your fast walk XD. Just need to get the feathers and I will be 100% ready http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif