PDA

View Full Version : What the ...?!?!

Dimensionaut_
03-06-2006, 05:10 AM
I was browsing wikipedia and was looking for flightsims.

I saw three BIG HOLES!!!
- IL-2 Sturmovik
- Forgotten Battles
- Pacific Fighters

Shouldn't those gaps be filled?

XyZspineZyX
03-06-2006, 05:12 AM
YES

PBNA-Boosher
03-06-2006, 05:30 AM
Seconded

djetz
03-06-2006, 06:10 AM
You didn't browse very hard. Took me about 3 seconds to find this:
IL-2 Sturmovik (game) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IL-2_Sturmovik_%28game%29)

Dimensionaut_
03-06-2006, 06:22 AM
Still don't see anything about PF and FB there.
And you name that an article when you compare it to the other simulators listed?
It even doesn't respond to the search term flightsim(ulator).

I guess you don't get the idea of search engines. People don't want to browse hard.
If you look for something on Google or something, you type (in this case) 'flightsim' and you visit the top 10 pages, maybe 20, but that's it.
In this case the IL-2 series does not pop up in that searchlist at all.

djetz
03-06-2006, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by Serval_1JaVA:
Still don't see anything about PF and FB there.

From the Wiki page:
Sequels

A sequel was released in March 2003, titled Forgotten Battles, which greatly expanded the number of simulated planes and battlefields. The game is based around the "forgotten" Russo-Finnish Continuation War of 1941-1944. The Ace Expansion Pack followed in March 2004, which improved the game still further.

In October 2004 Pacific Fighters was released, which can be installed on top of the earlier releases or as a stand-alone game. It expands the action to the Pacific, adding many Japanese and United States planes as well as carriers and battleships.

Most users of the IL-2 series choose to "merge" together Forgotten Battles, Ace Expansion Pack and Pacific Fighters into one installation. Having this merged version of the game is essential to be able to access the majority of IL-2 servers for online gaming.

I guess you don't get the idea of search engines. People don't want to browse hard.
If you look for something on Google or something, you type (in this case) 'flightsim' and you visit the top 10 pages, maybe 20, but that's it.

I went to Wiki, typed in "Il-2 Sturmovik" and scanned the page. At the bottom, where the links are, it says:

See also

* Il-2 Sturmovik flight simulator by Maddox Games (2001)

So, I clicked on that and found the page I just quoted from. As stated, it took maybe 3 seconds. That's hardly "browsing hard." You didn't say anything about Google or search engines, you said "I was browsing wikipedia and was looking for flightsims."

Well, I found it with no difficulties. Including information about the sequels, as noted above. Maybe you meant something like "I couldn't find Il-2 by browsing flightsims in Wiki" but that isn't what you said.

If this is really an issue for you, why don't you sign up to edit at Wiki and add the links yourself? The page is there, just add links to the "flightsim" page or whatever it is that's bothering you. Surely that's more constructive than claiming (incorrectly) that Wiki has no information about the game.

djetz
03-06-2006, 07:24 AM
I just had a look at Wiki's Flight simulator (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_simulator) page, and found, under the heading "Flight simulators at home" this:
IL-2 Sturmovik (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IL-2_Sturmovik_%28game%29), one of the leading World War II flight simulators.

It's 4th in the list of 8.

So, er, exactly what are you upset about? The info is there, it's easy to find. What is the problem?