PDA

View Full Version : p-38 landing/take-off after patch

VF-29_Sandman
11-18-2004, 07:30 PM
seems the model is improved in handling at low speed for landings. easily slowed to approach speed and she glided in at 110 indicated. flared at 90 mph and didnt bunny hop down the runway not nearly as bad as before patch.

take off seems improved. nose wheel lifts easy at 70, wheels up at 110. on specs in the manual.

another thing noticed..at least on 38's untill other planes checked: shoving the throttles forward too fast will create an 'over-speed' condition on the rpm's, and will quickly over-speed in dives. did the cem get improved as far as getting a 'runaway prop' condition from over-rev?

landing 38's: combat flaps until close to 150 indicated, then t/o flaps. under 150, and it's clear it will make the field, drop full flaps, maintain throttle at 30%. speed will roughly be about 110-120 indicated. at 90, flare and it will set on the main gear with ease.

VF-29_Sandman
11-18-2004, 07:30 PM
seems the model is improved in handling at low speed for landings. easily slowed to approach speed and she glided in at 110 indicated. flared at 90 mph and didnt bunny hop down the runway not nearly as bad as before patch.

take off seems improved. nose wheel lifts easy at 70, wheels up at 110. on specs in the manual.

another thing noticed..at least on 38's untill other planes checked: shoving the throttles forward too fast will create an 'over-speed' condition on the rpm's, and will quickly over-speed in dives. did the cem get improved as far as getting a 'runaway prop' condition from over-rev?

landing 38's: combat flaps until close to 150 indicated, then t/o flaps. under 150, and it's clear it will make the field, drop full flaps, maintain throttle at 30%. speed will roughly be about 110-120 indicated. at 90, flare and it will set on the main gear with ease.

eddiemac0
11-18-2004, 08:52 PM
You have no idea how great it is to hear that! I was having so much trouble getting the speed down on my final, and now it looks as if it should all work out--can't wait to get back in the cockpit and try it!

Gibbage1
11-18-2004, 10:27 PM
Its interesting to hear people were having problems landin the 38. I dont think I ever had a problem with her! I never had any bounces at all.

But the only aircraft I ever have problems landing is the FW-190. I wonder if it wants to slow down now with this new patch.

x__CRASH__x
11-18-2004, 10:31 PM
I have problems landing a 109 G10 on a carrier. I hope the patch makes it easier.

WOLFMondo
11-19-2004, 04:14 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gibbage1:
Its interesting to hear people were having problems landin the 38. I dont think I ever had a problem with her! I never had any bounces at all. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gotta agree, landing it with the main wheels touching first and slowly lowering the nose = no bounce at all. The only time it bounced is when the nose gear touches first but I always thought it should really break off rather than bounce.

VF-29_Sandman
11-19-2004, 07:59 AM
hey gib...put a landing hook on the devil for easier carrier traps hehehe http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

DRB_Hookech0
11-19-2004, 08:27 AM
Well what ever you do...dont jam the throttle full open to save an approch in a F4U....at 70-80 KIAS in landing trim, hanging on the prop, it will torque roll you right over. I love it. I was sort of sweating the 1st 3 or 4 approches.

mortoma
11-19-2004, 09:02 AM
Me no understan 'um this cwazy P-38 problum. Me never had eny trubble lanin the P-38 befor patch.
But me glad to heer that peeple like it bettur now. Whye you hav trubble lanin P-38 befor???? No makum cents.

DangerForward
11-19-2004, 09:13 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gibbage1:
Its interesting to hear people were having problems landin the 38. I dont think I ever had a problem with her! I never had any bounces at all.

But the only aircraft I ever have problems landing is the FW-190. I wonder if it wants to slow down now with this new patch. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm actually exactly opposite, I can't land tricycle gear craft worth a darn, but I can get the 190 down in almost any conditions. Just lack of technique or confidence I guess.