PDA

View Full Version : Merged or stand alone installation?

Callo1
05-19-2005, 11:38 AM
I just got Pacific Fighters and was wondering what was the best way to install. I currently have Il2:FB with AEP patched to 2.04. What are the benefits to a merged install over a stand alone installation of Pacific Fighters?

Thanks in advance

Callo1
05-19-2005, 11:38 AM
I just got Pacific Fighters and was wondering what was the best way to install. I currently have Il2:FB with AEP patched to 2.04. What are the benefits to a merged install over a stand alone installation of Pacific Fighters?

Thanks in advance

BM357_Hbent
05-19-2005, 11:46 AM
First of all, you're better off installing everything clean.

Meaning:

1) Install FB -- reboot
2) Install AEP -- reboot
3) Merge-install PF -- reboot
4) Patch FB+AEP+PF (3.3m + 3.4m, I reckon)

As for installing it merged, the benefits are:

a) You'll be able to access all the maps and all the planes from all releases.
b) You'll be able to play online on HyperLobby. No one plays FB/AEP or PF standalone. No one worthy to play with, anyway.
c) Patch v4 (to be released soon) has loads of goodies for FB+AEP+PF only, if I remember correctly.

FoolTrottel
05-19-2005, 02:00 PM
Hi,

There's only one advantage on having a stand-alone PF, next to Il2-FB-AEP:

You've got TWO great games!

The rest are all disadvantages:
-Having to keep swapping the CD when changing games
-Having to keep swapping games to change planes
-Less choices of servers online

Patch 4 (If I recall correctly) will be available for standalone as well as for merged version!

So... merge it, and ..

Have Fun!

JunkoIfurita
05-20-2005, 06:18 AM
I concur, but go further to say that there's no DISADVANTAGE in merging the game.

You don't get anything in PF standalone that doesn't get added to the merged install.

DO clean install though. People were having weird problems when they installed PF over the patched FB+AEP - they were 'losing' planes, getting DGen.exe errors, you name it. When you install PF over unpatched FB+AEP, it will patch previous packages itself cleanly and simply. Back up your campaign folders first, of course, and delete the old directories before you install again.

----

Bearcat99
05-20-2005, 06:16 PM
Clean merged install is the way to go.

han freak solo
05-21-2005, 09:14 PM
Merge it!

When I first got Pacific Fighters I installed it as a stand alone and I had Forgotten Battles AEP separately installed, too. Played it that way for a couple of months. Then I installed PF merged with the FBAEP.

Why? Because it was a pain in the butt to change over from Europe to the Pacific for the different aircraft and campaigns. Bad thing was that I couldn't transfer the prior campaigns I had in PF into the merged install.

I chose not to have the stand alone PF and I chose to lose and start over any campaigns I had in the Pacific. That too was a pain in the butt!

Merge it!