PDA

View Full Version : measuring distance on maps

deskpilot
01-30-2011, 06:01 AM
i am sure someone has answered this before but I can't remember. how big are the squares on the maps. for example Okinawa. some maps seem so much beigger than others I wonder if the squares are always the same sixe. I am trying my hand at more realistic navigation ands full real settings so will be getting lost on a regular basis. MGunz tip re requesting vector victor (!) to home base is useful but I wonderd re calculating distances. Cheers

thefruitbat
01-30-2011, 06:06 AM
10km by 10km, always.

deskpilot
01-30-2011, 06:25 AM
brilliant! thanks fruitbat. really quick reply too!

M2morris
01-30-2011, 02:23 PM
Yup, even oogle earth agrees with it.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b206/planegeek/oki5.jpg

WTE_Galway
01-30-2011, 02:53 PM
Just remember if you are doing 300 kmh every 2 minutes flight time is 10km traveled. You will cross a 10km map square in 2 minutes east/west or north/south and 3 minutes flying diagonally.

deskpilot
01-30-2011, 03:09 PM
Yeah, I am so used to seeing my little white plane icon on the map that not having it there is going to cause me major problems at first but I reckon it will be very satisfying to get los,t then work out where I am and successfully get back to base with just vapour in the tanks. Or maybe I've been watching too many war films!

Tully__
01-30-2011, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by thefruitbat:
10km by 10km, always.
Not always. In some game versions, if you zoom right out on the really big maps it goes to 100 x 100km.

AndyJWest
01-30-2011, 05:18 PM
Yes, the 10 x 10 Km squares are the numbered/lettered ones: zoom in, and you'll get smaller ones too.

M2morris
01-30-2011, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by deskpilot:
Yeah, I am so used to seeing my little white plane icon on the map that not having it there is going to cause me major problems at first but I reckon it will be very satisfying to get los,t then work out where I am and successfully get back to base with just vapour in the tanks. Or maybe I've been watching too many war films!

I used those little airplanes on the map too until a couple of years ago when I started flying with all switches flipped and then navigating by terrain association became a must.
It's alot more satisfying to figure it out that way, but I still have trouble once in a while, especially finding a carrier out at see.
A good 'Map Recon' before flying is always a good idea.
That's when I run into trouble navigating; when I forget to make note of need- to- know nav stuff before I take off.

gothkrieger
01-30-2011, 07:04 PM
is there any way to print the maps to use as a referance?

AndyJWest
01-30-2011, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by gothkrieger:
I seem to remember that a couple of them were provided as .bmp files at one time, but the easiest solution is to take screenshots in the FMB - you may want to enlarge the map and extend it over multiple screens. I think you'd need a colour printer for it to be much use.

At the moment. I'm trying to get used to using the new navigation features in 4.10 - the YG beacons are very useful, but they don't have unlimited range, so you still need to have a rough idea of where you are - this makes my favourite trick, of flying off on the reciprocal course to he one I should be taking less likely. The German system, with proper directional DF loops, is much easier to use.

M2morris
01-30-2011, 08:10 PM
Yeah, you can print up a map of the area you want to fly and you use a clear plastic 360* protractor laid on the map with a clear plastic ruler as a straight edge. Place the protractor's point of 360* to North on the map and then you plot your azimuths from where you take off to where you want to go (write them down) Practice by flying to obvious terrain features. Thats fun practice. For fighting, if you have trouble remembering, you can have an azimuth down that will get you to home that will put you in that general direction when things go to ****.

WTE_Galway
01-30-2011, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by gothkrieger:

enter "maps" as a keyword in the search link below

http://www.mission4today.com/i...ownloads&file=search (http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&file=search)

jortiz8
01-31-2011, 02:46 PM
Just wanted to say "THANKS" for all the information presented here. I started a post on "Realistic Navigation" and I had the same questions that deskpilot had. One thing I learned when flying in "Pilot Career" is to continually glance at the fuel level. On occassions Ai leader will fly me around till there isn't sufficient fuel to get back to base. So I break for home. Thanks again for the invaluable input.

DD_crash
02-02-2011, 02:09 AM
why not try Missprint (http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&file=search) Written by Fooltrottle it allows you to print the brief screen http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif You will have to register with M4T but its worth it.