PDA

View Full Version : Ugly Markings

CornbreadPattie
12-19-2005, 12:39 AM
The number markings on the A6M series is awful and is not historical. I have never seen pictures of real Zeros with big numbers on their sides. I like the style of markings on the A6M2 that was supplied with AEP.

Would you please remove the markings on the A6M2-21, A6M3, A6M5a b and c, and A6M7 model 62 and 63?

Or how about doing them like the A6M2 in AEP?

Thanks for reading.

SeaNorris
12-19-2005, 09:37 AM
The fact is, the entire LOT of IL-2 markings need to be replaced, they need to put Aces Artowork markings as standard, they are 1000x better than the ones we have now.

VW-IceFire
12-19-2005, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by CornbreadPattie:
The number markings on the A6M series is awful and is not historical. I have never seen pictures of real Zeros with big numbers on their sides. I like the style of markings on the A6M2 that was supplied with AEP.

Would you please remove the markings on the A6M2-21, A6M3, A6M5a b and c, and A6M7 model 62 and 63?

Or how about doing them like the A6M2 in AEP?

Thanks for reading.
Virtually every nation has a REALLY bad set of national markings except for the Soviet and German markings which are, although the oldest in the game, ironically the best and most accurate.

The RAF, Japanese, Australian, New Zealand, and others are absolutely terrible. The Romanian and Hungarian ones aren't bad and are at least decently historical for one period of time or another.

I will not accept the US markings as being bad because all US aircraft have the markings painted on them. While they are not always historically accurate to the plane type (i.e. why the SBD-3 has 1944 markings like the -5 does is beyond me) they are more or less accurate to color. Putting US markings on Yaks and Ki-84s is not acurate and those, while horrible, shouldn't be a major consideration.

ElAurens
12-19-2005, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by VW-IceFire:

I will not accept the US markings as being bad because all US aircraft have the markings painted on them.

Note quite all...

http://www.blitzpigs.com/photos/USmarkingsbad.jpg

P 39 N1 with default US markings.

Simply awful.

stansdds
12-20-2005, 04:13 AM
Yes, the U.S. default insignia absolutely sucks. Doesn't look like any insiginia used by the U.S. at any time in its history.

Grue_
12-20-2005, 05:56 AM
http://www.leigh-kemp.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/example.htm

MAT Manager is the best add-on for the IL-2 series.

Monty_Thrud
12-20-2005, 07:31 AM
Exactly what i was going to suggest Grue_...i totally recommend MAT manager... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

ElAurens
12-20-2005, 10:48 AM
MAT manager, as good as it is, is still a band aid. It does not work online. A simple addition of proper artwork in the code of a patch is all that is needed. Not another program to run in the background and steal precious resources.

Gawwad
12-20-2005, 11:57 AM
Mat Manager works just fine online, and you don't even have to run it because it makes the game use the new markings by default...

jds1978
12-20-2005, 01:47 PM
MAT Manager all the way....once i DL'ed it back in September i've never looked back

tomtheyak
12-20-2005, 02:14 PM
MAT Manager would work fine online if EVERYBODY playing had it.

The only trouble comes with using custom regiments for the RAF - no modified MAT files to correspond with codes - and the fact that if (like me) you have the RAF roundels 'Off' then all RAF aircraft appear naked (except for codes).

It works fine cos the MAT files are loaded locally - ie you see others aircarft wearing the MAT files on your system (be they default or MAT Manager generated) and by the same token they see you wearing whatever are installed on their own.

I agree that in an ideal world that they should be natively great to start off with (a bit more research required) but MAT Manager goes a VERY long way to sorting these out. I can't recommend it enough.

VW-IceFire
12-20-2005, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by ElAurens:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VW-IceFire:

I will not accept the US markings as being bad because all US aircraft have the markings painted on them.

Note quite all...

http://www.blitzpigs.com/photos/USmarkingsbad.jpg

P 39 N1 with default US markings.

Simply awful. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Arguable...the N-1, Q-1, and Q-10 are VVS representations of the aircraft. Although thats a two way argument I suppose.

Its a point well taken...

ElAurens
12-20-2005, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Gawwad:
Mat Manager works just fine online, and you don't even have to run it because it makes the game use the new markings by default...

MAT Manager is a one way street. Only the user can see the markings. No one else can.

Not knocking it in anyway, just pointing out it's online limitation.

goshikisen
12-20-2005, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
the US markings as being bad because all US aircraft have the markings painted on them. While they are not always historically accurate to the plane type (i.e. why the SBD-3 has 1944 markings like the -5 does is beyond me) they are more or less accurate to color.

One particular error (major or minor depending on how big a fan of the Superfortress you are) that I'd like to see corrected is the tail marking on the default skin for the B-29. There wasn't a bomb wing in either the 20th or 21st Bomb Command that had an "F" in a black box as it's marking. It's almost as though the person who made the skin picked a letter out of the air without accounting for the actual wings or markings.

Come to think of it... the B-29 skin is OK but not great. An artist like Compans could do a far more convincing skin than the one that we currently have.

Vigilanty
12-21-2005, 01:36 AM
I think that you're being kind here. The B-29 default skin is godawful IMO. The joins in the mapping are glaringly apparent. I'm sure that the original skinner was rushed to get it out, and I'm glad we at least *have* the B-29, but this is a fertile area for a talented bare-metal skinner. What ever happened to I16fan, I wonder?