PDA

View Full Version : Couple of Newbie Questions

Overcast
04-17-2005, 07:27 PM
Hello again everyone. Thanks to all who replied for the warm welcome in my previous thread. But alas, after one day of serious flying I have a few questions.

After testing out various planes I beleive I have settled somewhat on the P39 Q-10. I like the firepower it has and seem to be able to handle the plane fairly well. Does anyone have any other tips or knowledge on this plane that might be usefull to me?

Another question I have concerns convergance and distance to target. I generally open fire at the enemy at .30, so what should I set my converance at? Or does it matter at that range? How far is .30 anyway in feet/yards? I always assumed the simmulation gave this figure in meters.

Last but not least, I may have a tip that may help other TrackIR users. I was having trouble getting a decent response from the unit with it sitting atop my monitor. In a moment of genious I came up with the idea of moving my 3 foot high bookshelf directly behind my chair, turnig the unit upside down and securing it to the the top of the bookself by velcro and placing the relective dot on the back of my cap. Now when I fly the unit and the dot are only about 6-7 inches from one another. Has worked great so far
Im sure this has probably been talked about and tried by many others but who knows, me saying it again may help someone.

I beleive thats all I got at the moment but Im positive Ill have more questions later http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Overcast
04-17-2005, 07:27 PM
Hello again everyone. Thanks to all who replied for the warm welcome in my previous thread. But alas, after one day of serious flying I have a few questions.

After testing out various planes I beleive I have settled somewhat on the P39 Q-10. I like the firepower it has and seem to be able to handle the plane fairly well. Does anyone have any other tips or knowledge on this plane that might be usefull to me?

Another question I have concerns convergance and distance to target. I generally open fire at the enemy at .30, so what should I set my converance at? Or does it matter at that range? How far is .30 anyway in feet/yards? I always assumed the simmulation gave this figure in meters.

Last but not least, I may have a tip that may help other TrackIR users. I was having trouble getting a decent response from the unit with it sitting atop my monitor. In a moment of genious I came up with the idea of moving my 3 foot high bookshelf directly behind my chair, turnig the unit upside down and securing it to the the top of the bookself by velcro and placing the relective dot on the back of my cap. Now when I fly the unit and the dot are only about 6-7 inches from one another. Has worked great so far
Im sure this has probably been talked about and tried by many others but who knows, me saying it again may help someone.

I beleive thats all I got at the moment but Im positive Ill have more questions later http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Owlsphone
04-17-2005, 07:35 PM
The range is measured in kilometers so therefore .30 would be 300 meters. If you fire at that range, set your convergence to 300.

Hope that helps. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Oh, and use the stall characteristics of the P-39 to your advantage. She has a wicked stall, but if used in combat intentionally, it can be extremely effective.

icrash
04-17-2005, 07:54 PM
.30 is in km, so 300m, 1m = 100cm, so 300m x 100cm is 30,000cm, 30,000/2.54 = 11,811 inches or about 984 feet. My machine guns are set about 250 meters. The closer the target, the more concentrated the stream of fire hitting one area. In places like engines & fuel tanks, this can be lethal. For the 37mm cannon, aim for engines & wingroots & areas where the feul tanks are. I lucked 1 cannon round into a Zero and it exploded. In head to head passes, cockpit or engine shots are the way to go, esp. with the cannon. I have no idea how accurate the flight model is but the real planes were better at lower altitudes (exports lacked turbochargers or superchargers) than at high ones.

Bearcat99
04-17-2005, 09:14 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by icrash:
.30 is in km, so 300m, 1m = 100cm, so 300m x 100cm is 30,000cm, 30,000/2.54 = 11,811 inches or about 984 feet. My machine guns are set about 250 meters. The closer the target, the more concentrated the stream of fire hitting one area. In places like engines & fuel tanks, this can be lethal. For the 37mm cannon, aim for engines & wingroots & areas where the feul tanks are. I lucked 1 cannon round into a Zero and it exploded. In head to head passes, cockpit or engine shots are the way to go, esp. with the cannon. I have no idea how accurate the flight model is but the real planes were better at lower altitudes (exports lacked turbochargers or superchargers) than at high ones. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

.30 is 300 meters.... Set your convergence for no more thsan that. I personally prefer 200...

Tully__
04-18-2005, 07:10 AM
Most people (though there are exceptions) will tell you that 0.30 (300m) is too far for shooting and for convergence. That being said, the P-39 has most of it's guns quite close to the centreline, so convergence is not as critical as on the aircraft with wing mounted guns like P-47, P-51, Spitfire, Hurricane, P-40 etc.

tigertalon
04-18-2005, 07:42 AM
Hi again, Overcast

Scale is in kilometres. Since 1yard=0.9144meter, it is also a good scale for yards, so .30 is 300 metres, which equals roughly 300 yards.

You open fire way too soon. You only get two results: wasting ammo and alert enemy, because he sees the tracers passing him by (you will see how important this is when you will start to fly online on full-real servers).

So, when you think you are close enough, get closer. Fire only when enmy covers your whole gunsight. Most fighters need only one shot from your 37mm M4... Except maybe for bombers, pepper them from greater distances with MGs and fire with M4 only when sure to hit.

Since weapons are centered, convergence is not so important as on wing-mounted guns.

Overcast
04-18-2005, 07:21 PM
Thanks for the great answers everyone! I took your advice tigartalon and now fire only when the enemy fills the whole windscreen and have seen a tremendous improvement. I have noticed that shooting this way has effectively stopped me from the bad habit of riding the enemys six and losing my energy advantage. Thanks again for the tips and the lessons on convergence.