PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed - Parkour or Freerunning?

Master_Rahl
08-16-2011, 06:42 PM
I'm a traceur (practitioner of parkour) in real life and I've been thinking about what the climbing and whatnot in Assassin's Creed could really be called. First, I will give you a brief summary of parkour and freerunning:

Parkour:
The art of conquering obstacles to get from point A to point B in the most efficient way possible.

Freerunning:
The art of free movement, not necessarily from point A to point B. Whereas parkour focuses on efficiency, freerunning focuses more on what may feel good to the user but may not necessarily be as effective, or on aesthetics.

In some of the actions of the protagonists in the game you can see what amounts to freerunning: whereas a vault may be more effective in getting over a fence in some instances, you may find Ezio jumping straight up onto it, pausing if only for a brief moment, pushing off, and landing, the impact causing another brief pause. I think the vault would ultimately be quicker and more energy efficient.

But, you can also see some instances of what appears to be parkour. I see Ezio do cat leaps from time to time, hitting a wall first with the feet and then catching the top with your hands. His rolling also appears to be a basic parkour roll, meant to spread the impact across the body and thus reduce the chance of damaging the feet upon landing.

I think ultimately it amounts to freerunning because most of the moves you can see in the games are not necessarily as efficient as possible, but they appear to be what comes naturally to Ezio.

What do you guys think? Parkour, freerunning? Maybe a bit of both?

LightRey
08-16-2011, 07:20 PM
I'd say it's a bit of both. I think it's largely dependent on what the assassin is doing at the time. If he's just following someone from the rooftops, or "casually" going from point A to point B he's freerunning. However, if he's chasing someone or finding switches in vault-like structures he's more likely doing Parkour.

TK Amaterasu
08-16-2011, 07:21 PM
If I could, I would love to do both! I never really thought about it until I became a fan of the AC series http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Master_Rahl
08-16-2011, 07:58 PM
You're probably right in that it is a bit of both. I still can't help but see most of it as freerunning, though. I hope in future games they introduce more efficient moves. Vaults and precision jumps, namely. Vaults would be useful for a variety of things. I can see it being useful if you were jumping off of a railing that had beams in front of it, but you wanted to go to the ground rather than jump onto the beams, if that makes sense. I can visualize it but I'm not sure I can write it. :P

Jakob4242
08-16-2011, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by Master_Rahl:
Vaults and precision jumps, namely. Vaults would be useful for a variety of things. I can see it being useful if you were jumping off of a railing that had beams in front of it, but you wanted to go to the ground rather than jump onto the beams, if that makes sense. I can visualize it but I'm not sure I can write it. :P

Have you tried doing vaults in AC? they were useful in doing exactly what you describe.

It does seem to be a bit of both parkor and free-running, but I'm more inclined to say it's based on free-running. That said, it would be great if Ubisoft added more elements of Parkor into the series.

NewBlade200
08-16-2011, 08:20 PM
Too bad Ubi removed the vault. Its not our fault they didn't tell us how to do it.

Master_Rahl
08-16-2011, 08:41 PM
Wait. Are you telling me there was actually a vault? In which game? o.o I bet it was the original AC, wasn't it? Whenever I think about parkour in the AC games it seems like that one came the closest to it. How do you do it? I have to try. :P

nickfern19
08-16-2011, 10:06 PM
I'm a traceur too, and I think there are 2 possible reasons as to why it is labeled Freerunning or (free-run) in the game.

Reason #1. The developers didn't do their research on the difference between parkour and freerunning.
Argument: If they didn't do their research, why are almost all of the movements in Assassin's Creed similar and physically realistic in comparison to actual pk/fr? Cat leaps, wall runs, balancing, things like that are usually the same. Wouldn't they take the time to know what it's called?

Reason #2: Probably just the fact it's called Freerunning. Emphasis on Free. This game is all about freedom and protecting mankind and whatnot. It also makes a much easier term to go by on the controller than "do parkour" or "traceur mode". And since you're a traceur you probably know that parkour hadn't been called that back then and for a long time, so freerunning just sounds like running, but less restricted to the ground. To some people, freerunning/parkour is just "playing" or "running". Just like a monkey swings or leaps, it's just natural and free. Plus, using the term "parkour" could be slightly more distinct than "freerunning". Freerunning could be passed off as something like in Prince of Persia with 5million step wallruns and such, yet parkour sounds so interesting and most people would go on the internet to learn what the heck that translates to.

(I thought that Reason #2 was more likely, so I didn't give an argument.)

Jakob4242
08-16-2011, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Master_Rahl:
Wait. Are you telling me there was actually a vault? In which game? o.o I bet it was the original AC, wasn't it? Whenever I think about parkour in the AC games it seems like that one came the closest to it. How do you do it? I have to try. :P

Yeah, it's in the first AC. On the console you hold down grab/release button. Most often only done on rooftops, but can be done on ground level obstacles (of a certain height).

This video can explain it more precisely.
Assassin's Creed Vaulting (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueBWEud8p9s)

E-Zekiel
08-16-2011, 11:11 PM
...Any particular reason anyone would think it is one exclusively and not both?

Calvarok
08-16-2011, 11:38 PM
It's mainly parkour, but a lot about what Assassins do is meant to be theatrical, so as to provide the most impact once the target has been killed, and then vanish like a ghost.

blazefp
08-17-2011, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by Calvarok:
It's mainly parkour, but a lot about what Assassins do is meant to be theatrical, so as to provide the most impact once the target has been killed, and then vanish like a ghost.

My opinion ^

nickfern19
08-17-2011, 11:46 AM
What Master_Rahl means by aesthetics is, you know, acrobatics. We don't see any assassins pulling backflip hidden blade kills on their targets or pretty much anything unnecessary (unless you count Leap of Faith, but that is the fastest way to get down, right?). And the whole thing about the vaults, it's about using the most efficient way possible in your environment. Most of this game uses things like beams sticking out of walls or anything that uses a lot of jumping sequences. If vaults were initiated into the game, it would kind of throw everything off. Based on the balance and precision that an assassin would have in their jump, it's just a lot easier to jump on top of something and then to the next instead of looking like an imitation of actual parkour.

Master_Rahl
08-17-2011, 02:55 PM
I figured you were a traceur when I saw your signature around the forums, Nick. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

You all bring up some good points. Nick, you are probably right that in most cases vaults and whatnot would be next to useless but I can still imagine there would be some situations in which more parkour oriented moves could be implemented well and with good effects.

At any rate, parkour wasn't really around in that time period, anyway, as Nick says. I'd just like to see some more efficient movements in the game, because when I think about it, it can pester me that he does a huge leap on to and then off of fences when a simple vault could be used. XD
I can't see anything other than that really being particular inefficient, even if it isn't quite parkour, though.

nickfern19
08-17-2011, 05:24 PM
I was actually going to start a thread just like this, but i didn't know how long it would last http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif. Vaults would make this game almost like a parkour simulator, but it could look out of place when this game goes for the epic feel. It wouldn't look right during some sort of chase scene that he keeps doing this move. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNRMQzDZDOc)

Prince_Raven
08-17-2011, 06:42 PM
It's free-running borrowing parkour elements.