PDA

View Full Version : What is the check button for?

Starforce3
05-27-2007, 02:33 PM
WHen you have a ship in your sights, there pad next to the periscope displays merchant or whatever it is, what does the "check" symbol do?

AtlantikEel
05-27-2007, 02:47 PM
For manual targeting. When determining target bearing, distance (based on mast height, found in your identification manual) and speed, you must check the box in each case to confirm the calculation.

Starforce3
05-27-2007, 02:58 PM
Ok. I was hoping for a ship ID button. I've been finding ships in the GWX who's flags don't match any nations in the ID book. Finding them and determining their draft for a torpedo strike is impossible. Either they didn't put the merchants in there or I'm looking in the wrong country. It's rediculous that a tramp steamer takes 2 torps dead center and don't sink. Same applies to the tankers and small passenger/cargo that are in the single mission convoys. Thought I'd try magnetic torps for once but kinds hard if you don't know where to set them. I can fire my entire compliment and sink nothing.

AtlantikEel
05-27-2007, 03:15 PM
Destruction or not depends on where the torpedoes hit, angle of hit, and what the target carries in it's compartments; for instance, some tankers carry fuel oil, others high octane aviation fuel, and some may have only ballast (water); cargo vessels may carry ammunition, vehicles, or food for the food rationed British population; heck, Kretschmer once spent hours expending multiple torpedoes and shells on a ship that was loaded with cork!
Some ships in GWX will sink in 15 seconds, others in two hours; overall, more realistic than stock SH3.
I haven't found any ship flags yet that were not listed in the manual (which is more extensive in GWX than stock SH3), you just have to know where to look .... study the flags in the museum sometime, before starting your mission.
You don't have to run a magnetic torpedo deeper than the targets keel; if you don't know the draught, just set it for two or three meters .... if the draught is only one meter, the magnetic pistol should work; if the draught is deeper, you get a contact hit.

Starforce3
05-27-2007, 03:49 PM
This was a red and blue flag where the red occupied 1/4th of the flag, as did the blue (and were opposite one another diagnoally) and the other 2 quarters were white. I looked at every country insignia on the book and none was a match. The tramp steamer in question took 2 at nearly broadside angle. Most torpedo hits like that on small vessels (I think a tramp is under 2000 tons) the whole ship lifts out of the water, the blast rips through the deck and breaks it in half (speaking of actual footage). Though the one liberty merchant I hit in the stern half blew up all the aircraft on the deck, blew masts all over the place and had so much fire it was chugging my system even after the stern went under. I was going to surface attack them when I ran out of torps only to pop up in the middle of a convoy where every god damn ship had a deck gun...oops.

Edit: Is there a way to get extra ships and such without all the other changes GWX makes? IE I'd just like to have alot of the extra units without the changes to the ammo and such. Not sure if I can just copy in the roster and vessel files from gwx on a clean patched install?

Hoatee
05-27-2007, 03:56 PM
Sure you can add just the ships. The only files you'll be messing around with are the sea and roster folders and some editing of the names files. In the case of the Graf Spee, there's an extra step to be carried out.

geoffwessex
05-27-2007, 04:58 PM
I think you've described the Panamanian flag - the international 'flag of convenience'. But when it concerns draft etc, just look in the "Merchant Ships" or "Handelschiffe" section of the recognition book - the nationalities are irrelevant to what TYPE of merchant it is.

Merchant ships were (and still are) bought and sold around the world, it doesn't matter where they were built, e.g. it can be a British C2, a 'Panamanian' C2, a Russian C2 or any other nationality. Once you've established the TYPE, go by the draft in the recognition book.

If you're playing GWX it's up to you to identify the nationalities. 'Panamanian-registered' ships plied their trade for Allies, Axis and Neutrals. You have to take into account the location, direction, if it's in convoy with Allied shipping, and whether it's showing lights at night (which would be a neutral).

Starforce3
05-27-2007, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the updates you two (honestly if it weren't for the flags GWX put on the recog manual I wouldn't know what half of them are since it's in german, except germany, french, british, US and Greece are easily identifyable german words) What is the extra step that I need for the graf spree?

Hoatee
05-28-2007, 04:12 PM
The original game's Library files (guns.dat, guns.sim, guns.zon) get replaced by a new set as well as the usual messing around with the usual Sea and Roster folders.