PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Displays

NCSUHobbit
07-02-2005, 12:14 AM
Hey everyone,

I just got into flight sims recently, being an AF cadet and a hopeful pilot candidate, I figured it would be a good hobby to get into. I love it so far, but I'm disappointed because I thought I would be able to do more with my dual monitor setup. I've got a 3GHz P4 HT running 512DDR with an NVidia GeForce FX 5200 and dual Sony LCDs. Sim-specific I've got IL2 FB and CFS3 and my brand new Saitek X52, which I love. The only thing I don't like is that I want to be able to use my second monitor in game. I've read a lot of forums concerning this issue, but the only thing people seem to talk about is using 3 monitors with a Parhelia (which I certainly can't afford as a full time college student). I was wondering if anyone has been able to do anything significant with just two monitors. Mainly having gauges, maps, or any other useful in game info on their second display. I've heard tale that FS2k4 can do this or something similar. Is it possible in any of these three games, or am I just out of luck as long as I'm one monitor and $500 short or a triple head setup?

If that's the case, I was also wondering if it's possible to have a three monitor setup with anything other than a Parhelia. Can it be done with two vid cards, one dual display and one regular (and still get decent enough performance to enjoy the game)? Any info would be very much appreciated.

Tully__
07-02-2005, 06:17 AM
For instruments, go to Airwarfare.com's essential files page (http://www.airwarfare.com/Sims/FB/fb_essential_files.htm) and scroll down to find the Devicelink files. They interface with the game to provide flight information and alternative input. One of the utilities available uses the interface to drive instruments. You may need to have some programming skills to make use of them to their best effect.

NCSUHobbit
07-02-2005, 11:22 AM
I guess it helps that I'm a software engineer then. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Thanks for the info Tully.

Troll2k
07-02-2005, 06:31 PM
The IL2 series does not support multiple views.you can not have your cockpit on one monitor and your "6" view on another.

You can span monitors(if your card allows spanning).However the space the monitor bezel takes up when side to side is less than acceptable.Also if you span with one video card the resolution is also cut in 1/2(for 2 monitors.Or 1/3 for 3).

I am not 100% sure with w2k or xp but I would think you can put in as many pci cards as you motherboard will allow.Back in the old days I had a monitor wall going using win 95c with 4 different pci video cards.( not for simming though)

horseback
07-02-2005, 07:01 PM
You might want to look into TrackIR3, if you become completely hooked. You'll still be stuck with a lousy 85 degrees or so field of view, but you'll be able to scan around in a completely 'natural' way.

In the meantime, you can raise or lower your line of sight 45 degrees by assigning a joystick button or keyboard key to Look Up or Look Down, and pressing one of them at the same time you are manipulating the POV hat. As a prospective AF pilot, you'll quickly figure out how useful this can be...

cheers

horseback

WTE_iceaxe
07-02-2005, 11:28 PM
hello there i run a 6600 gt card that aloows spanning as do most new nvidia cards and i run it in vertical span thus having the panel on the lower monitor and outside view on upper with a crt up top and a lcd on bottom the lcd has all its plastic casing removed and sits slightly in front of the crt and up a bit so that the only cross over in the frame is about 1 cm , so that the images match up i have played with the video noise until the image is equal and then move the crt image up or down to suit , this i use for fs9 fb bob falcon 4 and il2 i still use mouse to look but will get a track ir asap , i love this vertical span as i have the panel in veiw always so its so easy to read guages , i have built this set up into my pit

blassty
07-25-2005, 08:50 PM
WTE_iceaxe

hello there i run a 6600 gt card that aloows spanning as do most new nvidia cards and i run it in vertical span thus having the panel on the lower monitor and outside view on upper with a crt up top and a lcd on bottom the lcd has all its plastic casing removed and sits slightly in front of the crt and up a bit so that the only cross over in the frame is about 1 cm , so that the images match up i have played with the video noise until the image is equal and then move the crt image up or down to suit , this i use for fs9 fb bob falcon 4 and il2 i still use mouse to look but will get a track ir asap , i love this vertical span as i have the panel in veiw always so its so easy to read guages , i have built this set up into my pit

but how did you manage to span two monitors in il2? i only get 1 monitor to work. could you be more specific as to how you did it?

Tully__
07-25-2005, 11:44 PM
but how did you manage to span two monitors in il2? i only get 1 monitor to work. could you be more specific as to how you did it?

You need to have both monitors set up as a single desktop and adjust the game resolution on conf.ini so that is uses the combined space. You'll probably need to have both monitors at the same resolution too.