PDA

View Full Version : Can I Skip Rogue, Unity, and Syndicate?

Vanch333
04-07-2019, 05:37 PM
I've played all of the AC games up until Rogue. I've installed Rogue several times over the past few years, and when I start playing I just can't be bothered unfortunately. Personally I find the old style of AC games to be a bore now. Being a completionist, I just don't have the motivation to fully upgrade my ship, collect all collectibles in the World, etc. I've really been wanting to play Origins and Odyssey, as I've heard that they differ massively from the older AC games (whether this is true or not, I don't know). I went through all of Black Flag a few years back and got 100%, yet seeing the fact that Rogue is almost exactly the same as Black Flag with the ship, collectibles, islands etc. I just can't bring myself to play it. As far as I'm aware, Unity & Syndicate follow this same kind of generic AC style, although have read that things massively changed once Origins and Odyssey came out.

Am I going to miss out on anything special in the lore/story if I were to skip Rogue, Unity, and Syndicate?

Thanks.

Shastblu
04-07-2019, 06:54 PM
Sure, nothing's stopping you, Ezio won't shank you for it

Lufros
04-07-2019, 07:10 PM
Regarding the story in the past you'll miss almost nothing except for the reveal how Rogue, AC3 and Unity are connected timeline wise. For instance, since you played AC3, you might remember Davenport as the last living assassin in the colonies and in Rogue you'll meet his younger self.
Regarding the modern day story only Syndicate contributes somewhat interesting to the storyline. Rogue and Unity did a very poor job advancing the lore.

Darth Trethon
04-07-2019, 11:04 PM
You can but you should not skip Rogue....it is one of the best AC games full stop....a truly amazing game.

Wollyd1878
04-08-2019, 10:00 AM
Better skip the new ones

Darth Trethon
04-08-2019, 10:03 AM
Better skip the new ones
Skipping Origins is probably for the best....it's not a great game. But Odyssey? Hell no....Odyssey is amazing. Black Flag, Rogue, and Odyssey are the absolute must haves of the franchise.

Wollyd1878
04-08-2019, 11:34 AM
Odyseey as a game is amazing, true that, but as an AC game it is not that good!
The only must have is the Desmond saga! All other are solid AC games

AmazingAmun
04-08-2019, 04:49 PM
You can skip everything from Black Flag to Syndicate if you want to.

ACI through ACIII for Desmond's story.

AnimusLover
04-08-2019, 08:52 PM
Skip Rogue. Gameplay wise it's just a truncated verison of Black Flag albeit fun. Story wise, it does have some returning characters who were nice to see before the game ruined them...
Skip Unity. Literally has no modern day and does nothng to advance it. Boring, poorly optimised and Syndicate does it model better.
Play Syndicate. Has some nice modern day stuff although it's cut scene only. Also a very fun game with some elaborate assassination sequences.
Play/skip Origins depending on whether Egypt appeals to you. If the setting does then yes totally worth playing. A fun game but first 30 minutes are horrible.
Play Odyssey. It's amazing.

JKAC2013
04-09-2019, 04:03 AM
Am I going to miss out on anything special in the lore/story if I were to skip Rogue, Unity, and Syndicate?
Thanks.
Lore wise you miss nothing special, The Arc the go trough these Games are finished in a Comic.

Origins and Odyssey beginn a new Arc with a new Modern Day. If you don't like the formula of the old Games you will like the new Gameplay that comes with Origins and Odyssey :)

cawatrooper9
04-09-2019, 03:06 PM

Hmm, let me put it this way-

Currently, I think I can say that at this point almost any game in the series for the past six years has been a suitable entry point, because the lore just really hasn't advanced in a linear way game to game.

For instance, Syndicate, Rogue, and and Unity introduced some neat ideas, but they seem to have been resolved in the comics.

Origins introduces Layla, but you don't learn much in it that you couldn't basically glean from the brief MD in Odyssey.

So I'd say play whatever interests you.

And just to end on a possibly more optimistic note- if the new intro quest for The Fate of Atlantis is anything to go by, the Modern Day lore might really start to be amazing again soon.

AnimusLover
04-09-2019, 08:19 PM
And just to end on a possibly more optimistic note- if the new intro quest for The Fate of Atlantis is anything to go by, the Modern Day lore might really start to be amazing again soon.

I've heard nothing but good things about it. Will give it a go once I'm done with ACIII.

cawatrooper9
04-09-2019, 09:52 PM
I've heard nothing but good things about it. Will give it a go once I'm done with ACIII.

Cool, let me know what you think!

ValentB
04-09-2019, 11:48 PM
No you can't.

Play them, they're much better games than Origins and Odyssey and even slightly better than 4 BF.

Play/skip Origins depending on whether Egypt appeals to you. If the setting does then yes totally worth playing.
You're not giving the same advise for Unity and brilliant French Revolution setting heh.

UbiCosmos
04-09-2019, 11:57 PM
Sometimes there are little nods referring back to previous games, but you won't miss out on anything special lorewise that would make you totally lost if you were to play Origins or Odyssey. The games are completely separate from each other, so you do not need to have knowledge or have played the previous games to enjoy Origins or Odyssey!

In fact like you mentioned, Odyssey and Orgins are quite different from the older style of AC games. If you end up picking one up, let us know what you think! :o