PDA

View Full Version : Translations of "Nothing is True, Everything is permitted"

hexagram_oracle
05-09-2010, 08:03 PM
My friends and I are planning on getting "Nothing is True, Everything is permitted" tattoos in our various ancestries' languages (Arabic, Spanish, Italian, Russian, Urdu, Hebrew and Cantonese) but we are having trouble getting all the variations. Obviously some of these will require new translations but, since AS2 was released with Spanish and Italian dubs and (I think) Russian subs, I was hoping you good people here could help us out.

The Renaissance Italian in the game is "Nulla é reale, tutto é lecito" and the modern Italian seems to be "Niente č allineare tutto č consentito."

I haven't gotten the Arabic for sure but I found a source online that said it was "La'shai sahih bel kullu shai'n mumkin" but I found another that said it was "la shey’a haqeeqiyun wa kulu shey’in mubaah." I start taking Arabic this summer but I was hoping someone could post the the full answer before then.

Does anyone have the Spanish or Russian used? I think the Spanish would be "Nada es (or está) real, todo está permitido." or maybe less literally "Nada es verdad. Todo está permitido."

Any help would be appreciated.

Xanatos2007
05-10-2010, 12:03 AM
La shai wak'ion motlaq bal kollon momken (Arabic) translates roughly to "Nothing is true, anything is possible".
????? ?? ?????, ??? ??? ???????? is Russian for "Nothing is true, all is possible" I think.
Not quite sure what the Spanish one is, but I think it shouldn't be too different from Italian. An online translator puts it as Nada es verdadero que algo es posible.

Hope that helps, awesome tats!

Cjail
05-10-2010, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by hexagram_oracle:
My friends and I are planning on getting "Nothing is True, Everything is permitted" tattoos in our various ancestries' languages (Arabic, Spanish, Italian, Russian, Urdu, Hebrew and Cantonese)...
The Renaissance Italian in the game is "Nulla é reale, tutto é lecito" and the modern Italian seems to be "Niente č allineare tutto č consentito."

I am Italian and can say that the translations you have are quite horrible!

The first Translation is wrong: we translate "True"="Vero" ("Reale" means "real"), also we use "lecito" as in englis you use "legal/right".
If you want some good translations in Italian use: "Nulla č vero, tutto č concesso." "Niente č vero, tutto č concesso." .

The second translation is partially wrong: "allineare" means "to line up"; "consentito" is correct but (from my point of view) it is less musical then "concesso"!

There can be many small variations of this phrase but with my translations you should be more than fine.
I hope I was helpful!

Murcuseo
05-10-2010, 03:44 AM
No offence to anyone on this forum but seeing as you're going to have this tattoo on you for the rest of your life I would do a hell of a lot of research into the correct transaltions before you take the word of anyone on here.

Where on your body are you planning to get the tat done?

Theres only a few places on the body where a long line of text doesn't look ridiculous so thats another thing to consider. The outside of the forearm and leg, the top of the chest and the back. You might also get it down the side of your ribcage but that will be pretty painful.

If you're going to do this, do it properly... don't ask random chumps(again no offence meant) on a forum for their opinion. Put the effort in and do the reasearch, you'll get the best end result http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Oh and expect to pay a fair amount of coin for a good tattoo artist, make sure to watch him/her working at some point before you pick them. Also if they have a photobook of their past work have a look at that.

You may already know all this but I think its worth mentioning just incase you haven't thought it through properly lol

Cjail
05-10-2010, 04:55 AM
Originally posted by Robson19822009:
No offence to anyone on this forum but seeing as you're going to have this tattoo on you for the rest of your life I would do a hell of a lot of research into the correct transaltions before you take the word of anyone on here.

Even if my translation is accurate I totally agree with you <span class="ev_code_RED">Rob</span>!

Kyfas
05-10-2010, 02:25 PM
Ok, you'll probably want it in one of those languages you mentioned, but just so you know, in portuguese it's "Nada é verdade, tudo é permitido". (I'm portuguese, so rest assured that's well translated.)

Good luck with that tattoo. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Mitro-Blade
05-10-2010, 03:06 PM
Damn, why didn't i thought of that sooner? Now i want a tattoo like that http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

kronoff
05-19-2010, 06:26 PM
Hey wasn't there a image of a sketch made by this guy who wanted to get the text around the image? Where did it go? I was planning to use that image to get an idea of what I want to get as a tattoo and I can't find the image now =/

EmperorxZurg
05-19-2010, 08:21 PM
he never finished the text, I remember faintly what you're talking about. If I remember the same thing you are he never finished. And ya, where are you guys planning to put the tats? Please do not say on your stomach or something

HECTORRAU7
05-19-2010, 08:23 PM
In spanish (I'm mexican) the best translation would be "Nada es verdad. Todo está permitido". This translation was featured in the first AC but i can't recall if it was the same one in ACII though.

Fairus60
05-19-2010, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by HECTORRAU7:
In spanish (I'm mexican) the best translation would be "Nada es verdad. Todo está permitido". This translation was featured in the first AC but i can't recall if it was the same one in ACII though.
Im Mexican too, and I can tell you that this translation was used in both AC. Only that in AC2 the arabic translation was featured but only once.

Marius_Darkwolf
05-20-2010, 12:29 AM
That actually does sound kinda sweet, What'd be interesting is have the text circling the logo, where the "nothing is true" arching above the logo, and the "Everything is permitted" arching under it. Something like that you could have done just about anywhere on the body. Would actually like to see the translation into ancient greek as well.

samward
05-20-2010, 02:47 AM
not to be a downer...but I was thinking about the phrase and if you think about it is kinda of a contradiction...even if it does sound cool. If EVERYTHING is True, Everything IS permitted then wouldn't that mean that what the Templar's are doing is ok too...I mean that would even mean that Hitler was right! hahah I mean I get that they are trying to say question everything and don;t box yourself in and all that. But even the assassins believe in certain things and not in other things....anyway interesting to think about...

El_Sjietah
05-20-2010, 04:36 AM
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted" simply means every human should find his own truth. Hitler and the Templars want the exact opposite.

samward
05-20-2010, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by El_Sjietah:
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted" simply means every human should find his own truth. Hitler and the Templars want the exact opposite.
I am not saying I agree with the Templar's or Hitler, certainly NOT!! But for arguments sake, if every human is to find their own truth, well don't you think that the Templar's and Hitler and every other person good or bad believed that the path they were on was the true and good path they should take?

VictorCreed123
05-20-2010, 07:03 AM
In Hebrew it's: "Nothing it's true"="??? ??? ?? ?????" and "Everything is premitted"="??? ????"
Full version: "??? ??? ?? ?????, ??? ????"

El_Sjietah
05-20-2010, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by samward:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by El_Sjietah:
I am not saying I agree with the Templar's or Hitler, certainly NOT!! But for arguments sake, if every human is to find their own truth, well don't you think that the Templar's and Hitler and every other person good or bad believed that the path they were on was the true and good path they should take? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They did and they had every right to. It's when they enforce that truth on others that they go against the code.

Assassin_M
05-20-2010, 08:18 AM
Game canon: La shai waqe motlak bal kollon momken

Actual Translation: La shai saheeh wa kullon mubah

(Im Egyptian)

Abeonis
05-20-2010, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Kyfas:
Ok, you'll probably want it in one of those languages you mentioned, but just so you know, in portuguese it's "Nada é verdade, tudo é permitido". (I'm portuguese, so rest assured that's well translated.)

Good luck with that tattoo. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

And just in case you want it in English, it's "Nothing is true, everything is permitted".

Fredokin
05-20-2010, 12:47 PM
Nice idee bout the tat.

In case u haven't already got it done, on swedish it's "Ingenting är sant, allting är tillĺtet".

From a teen with a language that noone cares bout...

Fairus60
05-20-2010, 04:32 PM
For what I know of philosophy, the frase actually means that man wont achive its full essence until it stops relying on moral to guide his life. It says that man should simply act more as his own nature tells him, creating a completely new lifestyle and achieveing the state of the "superman"(no reference to the DC dude XD), since it is meant that we are only one little step in the evolution of our minds, and embracing the "superman" would lead us to the next step. Something lame like that, from Friedrich Nietzsche´s Zaratustra. Actually the frase is originally from Nietzsche, even though some say it was from Sabbah, but I honestly believe it was mere hype for AC. If Im wrong with my interpreetation of Nietzsche´s words, please correct me

hexagram_oracle
05-20-2010, 07:16 PM
Sorry to the guy who was looking for the tattoo prototype image I put up. I don't know what happened to my old post but I have my tattoo idea in the link below along with the translations I have collected. Mostly, I just had friends who knew various languages listen to the scene in the beginning of AC1 to figure out the translations.

http://deptofmisanthropology.b...s-creed-nothing.html (http://deptofmisanthropology.blogspot.com/2010/05/translations-of-assasins-creed-nothing.html)

And thanks for the Hebrew and the Swedish, VictorCreed123 and Fredokin respectively.

EmperorxZurg
05-20-2010, 07:36 PM
sorry, I read your french one. You forgot pas on it. It's n'est pas vrai, not n'est vrai.

(Just a dude who's half French and aces French class)

hexagram_oracle
05-20-2010, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by d1sturbedme_468:
sorry, I read your french one. You forgot pas on it. It's n'est pas vrai, not n'est vrai.

(Just a dude who's half French and aces French class)

The gal I had listen to the French was kind of apathetic about the whole endeavor, so I guess she wasn't as careful as she could have been. Thanks! It's cool that you know French, I'm half Spanish and half Pakistani but I have only a beginner's skill in Spanish and no skill in Urdu or Punjabi.

If I can figure out how. I think I am going to try to record the saying in the game in the various languages and post then on youtube just so that people can be sure.

Originally posted by Fredokin:
Nice idee bout the tat.

In case u haven't already got it done, on swedish it's "Ingenting är sant, allting är tillĺtet".

From a teen with a language that noone cares bout...

I actually have an art print of the Swedish alphabet outside my study from IKEA. ^_^ http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_SM0l...s1600-h/_DSC0149.jpg (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_SM0l4OFyt2w/S0elUjPnOOI/AAAAAAAAADY/He8CNfD_yQs/s1600-h/_DSC0149.jpg)

EmperorxZurg
05-20-2010, 07:50 PM
be sure to post the link lol, don't get that tat until you're sure everything is right. There was one dude I knew who went to get a tat but spelled the word wrong on the paper so now his back says Jesus Chist

hexagram_oracle
05-20-2010, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by d1sturbedme_468:
be sure to post the link lol, don't get that tat until you're sure everything is right. There was one dude I knew who went to get a tat but spelled the word wrong on the paper so now his back says Jesus Chist

That is crazy but. Reminds me of why I have avoid tattoos of words until now. I'm between getting the phrase in Urdu or Arabic but I have people I know who can read both and confirm the text for me at the tattoo parlor. I am going to be very careful about this.

Oh, and the tattoo image is on deptofmisanthropology.blogspot...s-creed-nothing.html (http://deptofmisanthropology.blogspot.com/2010/05/translations-of-assasins-creed-nothing.html) now, I just noticed it wasn't when I went to add your French correction to the post.

It is pretty easy if you want to make your own. I just got a hi-res copy of logo (mine was from deviantart) and used the Word Art feature on in MS Office to make some Arabic text circular. This can be done with any language or script and will turn out quite nice as long as an appropriate font is used.

kronoff
05-20-2010, 09:24 PM
Hey man thanks much for posting the image, I plan on getting a tattoo like that, with the quote around the logo either on my upper back or upper wrist.

I wanted to put the quote in arabic, as it looks REALLY nice with the logo, but the only thing im worried about is that people out here in the US are paranoid about "terrorists" and relate anything middle eastern to them (which is just messed up) so im afraid they might get the wrong idea...good ol' USA -_-

hexagram_oracle
05-20-2010, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by kronoff:
Hey man thanks much for posting the image, I plan on getting a tattoo like that, with the quote around the logo either on my upper back or upper wrist.

I wanted to put the quote in arabic, as it looks REALLY nice with the logo, but the only thing im worried about is that people out here in the US are paranoid about "terrorists" and relate anything middle eastern to them (which is just messed up) so im afraid they might get the wrong idea...good ol' USA -_-

Being half-Pakistani with a Muslim father but being a total agnostic and American-born, I know what you are saying about the U.S. and anything Middle-Eastern causing others to make assumptions. However, if the tat is in a inconspicuous location and you live in a more tolerant part of the country I doubt it would be a problem.

Plus, if Ms. America is any indication then this stuff will be popular in a few years, probably a decade or two, similar to how the culture of our former WWII opponent, Japan, is now in vogue.

PlagueDoctor357
05-21-2010, 01:12 AM
So im trying to find some one to sketch me up a bleeding templar cross with an assasin symbol in it.

In the meantime, maybe ill get the phrase in german on my arm instead of arabic.

Anyone know the german translation or should I just ask my grandparents one of these days?

Marius_Darkwolf
05-21-2010, 02:50 AM
go for the upper arm (biceps or shoulder area), generally speaking, people won't see it there unless you want them to, and it's easier to show in public by pulling up a shirt sleeve. Wrist is kind of obvious and hard to hide if you're going for an interview

rob.davies2014
05-21-2010, 04:54 AM
"Nid yw unrhywbeth yn wir, caniateir popeth."
Welsh. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Unhelpful I know, I just wanted to.

Medifro
05-21-2010, 09:31 AM

I haven't gotten the Arabic for sure but I found a source online that said it was "La'shai sahih bel kullu shai'n mumkin" but I found another that said it was "la shey’a haqeeqiyun wa kulu shey’in mubaah." I start taking Arabic this summer but I was hoping someone could post the the full answer before then.

Does anyone have the Spanish or Russian used? I think the Spanish would be "Nada es (or está) real, todo está permitido." or maybe less literally "Nada es verdad. Todo está permitido."

Hello, I'm an Arabic native speaker.

"La Shai" = nothing
"Kullu" = all
"Shai" = thing

"La'shai SAHIH bel kullu shai'n MUMKIN":
- Sahih has a range of meanings in Arabic: Right (vs wrong), true (vs false), healthy (vs sick).
- Mumkin: Possible.
- Bel means "though"

"la shey’a haqeeqiyun wa kulu shey’in mubaah."
- "Haqeesiyun" is an adjective from the noun "haqeeqah", which litrally means "Truth". In other words," "Haqeeqyun" means true, a better phrased one than Sahih, which's more often used in right vs wrong context in a speech.
- "Mubaah" means allowed, the exact word is one of five words used in Islam's Fiqh & Sharia: 1) Mubaah = allowed. 2) Haram = forbidden. 3) Makrooh = Not preferably done. 4) Wajeb = Duty. 5)Mostahab = Preferably done.
- Wa means "and".

******** SPOILERS **************

On a sidenote, check the part where Mario and the other assassins gather with Ezio on a clock tower. Mario says it in Arabic, I forgot what words did he use but since its in the game thats the conan.

******** SPOILERS END **************

I find the arabic words in the codex page very interesting, I might do a translation of people're interested.

Assassin_M
05-21-2010, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Medifro:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hexagram_oracle:

Hello, I'm an Arabic native speaker.

"La Shai" = nothing
"Kullu" = all
"Shai" = thing

"La'shai SAHIH bel kullu shai'n MUMKIN":
- Sahih has a range of meanings in Arabic: Right (vs wrong), true (vs false), healthy (vs sick).
- Mumkin: Possible.
- Bel means "though"

"la shey’a haqeeqiyun wa kulu shey’in mubaah."
- "Haqeesiyun" is an adjective from the noun "haqeeqah", which litrally means "Truth". In other words," "Haqeeqyun" means true, a better phrased one than Sahih, which's more often used in right vs wrong context in a speech.
- "Mubaah" means allowed, the exact word is one of five words used in Islam's Fiqh & Sharia: 1) Mubaah = allowed. 2) Haram = forbidden. 3) Makrooh = Not preferably done. 4) Wajeb = Duty. 5)Mostahab = Preferably done.
- Wa means "and".

On a sidenote, check the part where Mario and the other assassins gather with Ezio on a clock tower. Mario says it in Arabic, I forgot what words did he use but since its in the game thats the conan.

I find the arabic words in the codex page very interesting, I might do a translation of people're interested. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Arabic in the Codex ??????? where? Im interested please do tell Im arab too BTW

hexagram_oracle
05-21-2010, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by RussellSparrow:

Not directly helpful to the project but I am collecting translations of the phrase on my blog and am totally going to use this. Thanks!

Originally posted by PlagueDoctor357: Anyone know the german translation or should I just ask my grandparents one of these days?

The German used in AC1 was Nichts ist wahr. Alles ist erlaubt. That is also what I think is on the German wikipedia entry.

Originally posted by Medifro:
I find the arabic words in the codex page very interesting, I might do a translation of people're interested.

That would be amazing!

And I don't know how I missed the meaning of Mubaah. I took a class on Islamic jurisprudence last summer and used the term in my senior thesis. I think I like the first version of the saying better. Seems more philosophical then legalistic. And mumkin works in both Arabic and Urdu.

El_Sjietah
05-22-2010, 06:04 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RussellSparrow:

Not directly helpful to the project but I am collecting translations of the phrase on my blog and am totally going to use this. Thanks!
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Niets is waar, alles is geoorloofd."

There you go, some fancy Dutch to add to your blog.

Moon_Selena
05-24-2010, 04:08 PM
Just noticed this thread ^^'
I'm Russian and I can tell you that the best translation for this whoud be "????? ?? ???????, ??? ?????????" (sounds like "Nichto ne istinno, vsyo dozvoleno" in transliteration).
Hope that was helpful =^_^=

Stormpen
05-26-2010, 12:21 PM
"Siyalu de Asathya ve, Siyalu de kireemata avasara thibe"

Rough translation, I suppose no one recognizes the language? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

Murcuseo
05-26-2010, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Stormpen:

Rough translation, I suppose no one recognizes the language? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

Klingon?

Stormpen
05-26-2010, 12:54 PM
I thought so. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif
Heh, I sound like a snot.

phil.llllll
05-26-2010, 08:17 PM

That would be great!

Gabe19821982
05-27-2010, 06:39 PM
You might find Spanish and Italian very similar, but in fact they're quite different.

Correct translation in spanish: "Nada es verdad. Todo está permitido" http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Hugs from Chile http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

yehonatan1990
05-28-2010, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by VictorCreed123:
In Hebrew it's: "Nothing it's true"="??? ??? ?? ?????" and "Everything is premitted"="??? ????"
Full version: "??? ??? ?? ?????, ??? ????"

yep, I confirm that : p

ACII_Addicted
05-28-2010, 03:47 PM
Just in case AC3 is taking place in Ancient Greece which i really don't hope so, and since i am from greece,whose language is like an ancestor language to many of today's languages, here it is in Greek:
" ?????? ??? ????? ???????,??? ????????????. "

Leander92
07-29-2010, 04:56 AM
'Laa shay'a waqi'un moutlaq bale kouloun moumkine'
This is what is should be in Arabic. I'm not arabic (I'm from Belgium) but this is how it is said to be on the assassin's creed wiki: http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Assassins

Hope I helped you

thekyle0
07-29-2010, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by Xanatos2007:
Not quite sure what the Spanish one is, but I think it shouldn't be too different from Italian. An online translator puts it as Nada es verdadero que algo es posible. Oops Xanatos, I think you may have set him on the wrong track there. I know it's too late now but a more accurate translation of that would have been, "Nada es verdadero, todo es permitido". That online translator told you, "Nothing is true that something is possible."

thesilentkill4
07-30-2010, 05:26 AM
??? ?????, ??? ??? ????. ?

VRTX97
07-30-2010, 12:46 PM
Not quite sure what the Spanish one is, but I think it shouldn't be too different from Italian. An online translator puts it as Nada es verdadero que algo es posible.

Lol almost there man, Spanish one is:

'Nothing is true, Everything is Permitted' = 'Nada es verdad, todo esta permitido'

A bit late, but I'm here to help

Qoheles
11-24-2010, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Stormpen:

Azeri. My dad and godfather speak it fluently.

Also, Lithuanian for it would be "Niekas nera tiesa, viskas yra leistina".

Gyro458
11-24-2010, 12:45 PM
Nic nie jest prawdziwe, wszystko jest dozwolone.

That's it in Polish. And don't worry, it's the right translation. I spoke the language all my life. Even check Google Translate.

glenneey
11-24-2010, 01:01 PM
this fits with the topic i think:
http://api.ning.com/files/Kh*BzzpZhlAexwwrkkqi3aKcgDoI-MmShWY-ha807PE_/everythingispermitted.jpg

mad_god87
11-24-2010, 01:21 PM
Very intersting idea was thinking about doing something like this myself...can anyone translate that into Gaelic (Irish) for me if possible.

hendfarid
02-20-2011, 02:39 PM
"Nothing is True, Everything is permitted" (Arabic)
I haven't gotten the Arabic for sure but I found a source online that said it was "La'shai sahih bel kullu shai'n mumkin" but I found another that said it was "la shey’a haqeeqiyun wa kulu shey’in mubaah."

Hi, I have just started the game today! (I know, I know very bad of me) so I didn't want to read all the thread in case it talks of things to happen.
Any way I am from Egypt and Arabic is my language so here is the translation:
'La Shaie hakeeiki, Kol Shaie mobah' I think this would be the best Arabic translation.
the first one you have is ok, the second one is better but got bad grammar..
Hope this helps.

vorenus73
02-21-2011, 10:21 AM
No offense, especially if you've already gotten your tattoo, but statements like "nothing is true" are inherently so dumb because it means that statement isn't true either. Just like in a movie when someone says "The only rule is that there are no rules!!" - it's an inherent contradiction.

ThaWhistle
02-21-2011, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by vorenus73:
No offense, especially if you've already gotten your tattoo, but statements like "nothing is true" are inherently so dumb because it means that statement isn't true either. Just like in a movie when someone says "The only rule is that there are no rules!!" - it's an inherent contradiction.

in the latter case, the one rule being there are no rules cancels out the rule, and hence, there are no rules.

with nothing is true, it essentially proves itself, the statement is false, but so everything else might be also.

legal hallucinogens in your area may cause that statement to make more sense.

vorenus73
02-21-2011, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by ThaWhistle:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by vorenus73:

in the latter case, the one rule being there are no rules cancels out the rule, and hence, there are no rules.

with nothing is true, it essentially proves itself, the statement is false, but so everything else might be also.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>Very interesting - I see where you are coming from.

I guess my angle is a bit different... if "nothing is true" proves itself so that the statement is false, then SOMETHING must be true, no?

Same with "the only rule is that there are no rules" well if there are no rules, then the rule that says there are no rules is not legitimate, hence there must be SOME rules.

Reminds me of this one Family Guy scene where Peter says something like "Everything I say is a lie. Except for that. And that. And that. And that. And that...." and it goes on infinitely.

ThaWhistle
02-21-2011, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by vorenus73:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ThaWhistle:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by vorenus73:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>Very interesting - I see where you are coming from.

I guess my angle is a bit different... if "nothing is true" proves itself so that the statement is false, then SOMETHING must be true, no?

Same with "the only rule is that there are no rules" well if there are no rules, then the rule that says there are no rules is not legitimate, hence there must be SOME rules.

Reminds me of this one Family Guy scene where Peter says something like "Everything I say is a lie. Except for that. And that. And that. And that. And that...." and it goes on infinitely. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

if there are no rules, that is a rule stating there are no rules. that is a rule relating to other rules, not the actions or etc. if there are no rules, then everything is fair game.

the statement "Everything i say is a lie" can be false, but if used in reality instead of a logical discussion, the statements of the speaker can be evaluated to see if it is false or not. in the case of assassins creed, do we see that nothing is true? are the things people believe actually false?

In AC1, yes, the piece of eden is said to ahve created numerous illusions. splitting of the red sea, turning water into wine, something involving the trojan war, etc. So the statement in the game is true. But is it true in reality? probably not.

so in the games universe, the logic works, but outside of it, not as much. I reckon the book that statement is taken from offers some interesting views on the matter, but even that, while based on some real things, is set in a fictional universe.

ScytheOfGrim
02-21-2011, 11:17 AM
Not that I support tattooing or whatnot, but you should know that if you're going to get it done in Arabic, then you should get it done with some proper calligraphy; otherwise, it's a total waste.

k20ml
02-21-2011, 12:08 PM
Al Mualim: Before you go, I have a question for you.
Altair: Of course
Al Mualim: What is the truth?
Altair: We place faith in ourselves. We see the world the way it really is, and hope one day all mankind will see the same.
Al Mualim: What is the world then?
Altair: An illusion. One which we can either submit to, as most do, or transcend.
Al Mualim: What is it to transcend?
Altair: To recognise nothing is true and everything is permitted. That laws arise from divinity not reason. I understand now that our creed does not command us to be free, it commands us to be wise.
Al Mualim: Do you see now why the Templars are a threat?

asifah30
02-21-2011, 03:29 PM
Hi hexagram_oracle

Although, I don't believe in any concept that phrase gives, but its nice to see you are asking meaning of that phrase in Urdu. I belong to Pakistan and Urdu is my national language and i feel proud to be an Urdu speaker. I guess you have some sort of relations with Urdu or Pakistan.

OK. So what would be the meaning of 'Nothing is true, Everything is permitted' in Urdu, ??? Urdu is a very vast language and it contains a lot of words from other languages. So only one sentence of translation wouldn't be enough, there are some Urdu substitute for it.

'Nothing is true, Everything is permitted' = 'Koe bee shay such nahi hai, har shay ko ikhtiyaar hai'

or

'Nothing is true, Everything is permitted' = 'Koe bee shay such nahi hai, har shay ka aik muqqarrar zabta hai'

and Probably more appropriate one

'Nothing is true, Everything is permitted' = 'Koe bee shay such nahi hai, sari shay faani hain'

If you want it in Punjabi (another Pakistan's famous language) then i think it would be the same as i mentioned in Urdu.
Salam.

Xanatos2007
02-21-2011, 11:50 PM
Has anyone figured out the Japanese translation? I tried my best but to no avail.

Ass4ssin8me
02-22-2011, 12:13 AM
^Strangly, enough I can read and write in Japanese, yet there is no point to it as I can't translate anything I read or write back to english o.0

beacuase...
02-22-2011, 04:57 PM
This has to be the dumbest idea ever. When you're 30, you'll think, "Holy crap, that was stupid".

You're getting a video game motto BRANDED on you. For the rest of your life. When you're 70, you'll have the Assassins Creed motto inked into you, you realise?

I mean, forget that you're going to want to put yourself into a coma in 20 years, people are going to look at you the day after you get it
and just think, "WOW. What an utter moron."

Xanatos2007
02-22-2011, 11:59 PM
It's not a videogame motto, it actually comes from a historical source. We just heard about it from a videogame. And if you analyse the phrase there is a great deal of truth in it, so it's not like they're putting "The cake is a lie" or "Master Chief PWN3Z" on themselves.

Man, videogames really are underappreciated.

Shademirror
03-03-2011, 03:50 AM
Yep, it's not quite a video game slogan - at least not exclusively so. In fact, it even predates pong by quite a number of years, so, in essence, it can't possibly have anything to do with video games in its purest form.

The phrase is often attributed to Hassan ibn Sabbah, the original Grand Master of the Order of the Assassins (which, of course, were also quite real - they were a Shiite sect that, at one point, held considerable power - very secretive, and, of course, very much into Assassinating their enemies). The video game series is a fictionalization (with a LOT of poetic license taken, of course), of this historical entity.

"Nothing is true, everything is permitted" is said to have been the very last thing Sabbah utterred before his death. However, very little about the phrase's exact provenance can be pinned down with certainty. The Assassins were wiped out (or, at the very least, dispersed) by the Mongols, and their libraries were, as far as we know, destroyed. (On a side note: interestingly enough, both the Assassins and the Templars were real secret societies that came, independently and at different times, to a violent end - were, basically, "killed off," though, in both cases, there were most certainly survivors). Apparently, most of the info we have about the Order comes from external sources, usually hostile ones. Whether or not the phrase really originates with Sabbah can't really be conclusively determined without a real time machine or animus, I guess. However, it's definitely old enough for Nietzsche to have used it prominently. And he's never played a video game in his life.

So, getting a tattoo of this credo would be about the same as any other vague philosophical pronouncement, piece of poetry, etc. No different from "That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger," "Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law","Eternity is all around you","This sentence is false", etc., etc., etc.

Of course, the logo, as far as I can tell, was probably created by a graphic designer working at Ubisoft. So if a logo is included, then, I suppose the reference to the game will be a whole lot more obvious. Still, to each his own.

I am not big on tatoos myself, but I think this one isn't a bad one to get if it speaks to you.

Shademirror
03-03-2011, 04:15 AM
Oh, and I just have to address this little bit...I hope you won't mind my ramblings too much. I am definitely a rambler.

As for the phrase being an inherent contradiction, there are a few ways to address that. Firstly, translation plays a part. In the English language, the word "true" has a very strong association with binary boolean logic (true/false). Thus, someone schooled in logic automatically cries "paradox" at first sight of that sentence...after all, if nothing is true, then the pronouncement that nothing is true cannot be true, and is thus false, which means something must, necessarily be true. Simple enough.

However, we are dealing with a mystical sect here, and the original was not spoken in English. As such, it is much more likely to mean something like: "Nothing is absolute/real". Basically, "Matrix" type stuff. Plus, contradictions like that tend to be pretty common in the teachings of mystical or esoteric societies. Ostensibly, they are more layered than a quick glance can reveal, and their true meaning (including the inherent contradiction) must be carefully meditated upon by the initiate in order to be fully understood. As such, whatever contradiction the phrase contains may well have been built in by design.

As for "Everything is Permitted"...well, isn't it? Nobody can truly forbid you to do, or avoid doing, anything at all. You are able to do good or terrible things at will, which, however, doesn't mean without consequence. Nowhere in the phrase is there mention of consequence at all. Nor is there mention of moral or aesthetic qualifications. It doesn't say "everything is okay" or "everything is as good or bad as everything else" or "everything is equal." It simply states that everything that one is capable of doing one can do if one chooses to. Since all social laws on earth are man made, all of them can easily be broken. If you've ever downloaded music on the Internet, if you've ever jaywalked, sped, or run a red light, you know from experience just how easy it is to break a rule or a law. Just as easily (functionally speaking), you are free to take the life of an innocent if you were to choose to do so. However, someone else is also free to punish you for this action should you be apprehended. And just because you were free to do so doesn't make it good or right. Under this credo, there are still fair rules and unjust rules, and there are justifiable and unjustifiable actions.

In the context of Assassination, there is generally a taboo or law against the taking of human life - the Assassins willfully ignore (not violate, not break, but ignore) this rule in order to accomplish their particular (generally political) end. In their mind, if it is politically (and thus morally) justified, then it not only can but must be done. However, killing an innocent is forbidden (the historical Assassin Order did, it seems, prefer to minimize or eliminate civilian casualties, in fact). This would be an unjustifiable action - one which creates loss without benefit. The real Assassins were not a nihilistic group, as far as we can tell, and, obviously, neither are the fictional video game versions. "Nothing is true, everything is permitted" can be used as a phrase of power. And, in the immortal words of Uncle Ben, "with great power, comes great responsibility."

Whatever the case, the choice of action lies with the individual. One way to interpret the credo is as a statement on free will. Perhaps, as both Altair and Ezio learn (the former not quite as aptly as the latter http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ), while everything is, essentially, permitted, without wisdom and discretion one cannot navigate this reality with maximum effectiveness nor utilize the true freedom and power that the phrase may potentially hold.

Xanatos2007
03-03-2011, 04:56 AM
Man we really need a 'thumb up comment' feature around here. Best rant I've heard all day.

vorenus73
03-03-2011, 11:01 AM
Man we really need a 'thumb up comment' feature around here. Best rant I've heard all day. I agree, that was a fantastic post. Smacking myself in the head because I interpreted it in English... not its original language! Of course things are different! Great post, two thumbs up!

ThaWhistle
03-03-2011, 11:10 AM
It's not a videogame motto, it actually comes from a historical source. We just heard about it from a videogame. And if you analyse the phrase there is a great deal of truth in it, so it's not like they're putting "The cake is a lie" or "Master Chief PWN3Z" on themselves.

Man, videogames really are underappreciated.

Just about noone knows of that phrase from anyhting outside of the Assassins Creed series, and certainly even fewer people knew of it before the games. As such, its a statement that will forever(well, in our lifetimes) be connected with this series.

A swastika is a traditional eastern symbol.Yet if you get one tatooed on you, noone will think of its origins, and only what it has come to mean in recent history.

Xanatos2007
03-03-2011, 11:25 PM
Which is why we need to educate people on the truth & encourage them to do a little research before jumping to arbitrary conclusions. Need I bring up the pentagram example again?

Lignjoslav
03-04-2011, 04:52 AM
You need to educate people? Careful with that, my friend, Giordano Bruno wanted to educate people too, he got burned (in every sense); now he was just a scientist, you're trying to spread wisdom of an obscure Islamic sect, what could possibly go wrong?! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Keep in mind that tattoo removal scars look awfully like burn marks.

Also, dedicating a portion of your body to teaching people a small and fairly insignificant historic episode of unconfirmed verity seems a little irrational. Are you sure you're doing it for the wisdom and not for the video game after all?

Oh, and by the way, there is a lot of wisdom in the sentence "The cake is a lie." Apply your moto, don't take it at face value. It too teaches you to question everything, mainly the rewards your society, priests, boss... whoever promises you to make you do certain things and live your life a certain way. It's not far from the message you are trying to spread. Now if only someone could tell me the translation of "The cake is a lie." to Vortigaunt...

P.S. This post is 50% serious, 25% joke and 25% idle wandering of my mind. It might be beneficial to take some parts of it seriously and others as simply the work of idle fingers, not meant to be offensive.

Khoserkenovich
03-04-2011, 11:16 PM
In case you want in Portuguese too, it's "Nada é verdadeiro, tudo é permitido."

onderertem
03-23-2011, 12:45 PM
Hiçbir ?ey do?ru de?ildir, her yol mübaht?r
?ts from Turkish ? think its quite same

sfx666
03-24-2011, 08:30 AM
I also plan to tattoo the phrase and there are some days I search the right way to write it in Arabic. I've seen here and in others sites various ways of translating this and they all said "that is the right/best way to translate". Anyway, also wanted to know what the right way to write using the Arabic alphabet. Writing in Arabic is very difficult and I really cant translate this. If anyone can help me, thanks! I want to do my tattoo in arabic manuscript!

"La shai hakeeiki, kol shai mubaah."
"la wa kulu shey'a haqeeqiyum shey'in mubaah."

I wonder also if this form of writing is right:
??? ???? ?? ?? ????, ??? ??? ????.

I just can not trust the google translator. Haha! =)

hendfarid
03-25-2011, 04:23 PM
I would write the Arabic as following

?? ??? ????? .. ?? ??? ????
Remember Arabic goes right to left

matteume
03-25-2011, 04:38 PM
Not that anyone asked but if anyone should be interested in the words in swedish it goes like this:

"Inget är sant, allt är tillĺtet"

solidsam.cro
03-25-2011, 04:55 PM
Just for fun, here is a Croatian translation http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

''Ništa nije istina, sve je dozvoljeno''

or

''Ništa nije to?no, sve je dozvoljeno''

literal translation

Xanatos2007
03-25-2011, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by Lignjoslav:
You need to educate people? Careful with that, my friend, Giordano Bruno wanted to educate people too, he got...
I didn't mean start a campaign to raise awareness of the phrase "Nothing is true, everything is permitted" but when someone questions where we got the phrase from that we tattooed on our arm (I'm not tattooing it on myself, by the way) or say "Hey, isn't that from a videogame? That's so lame" we should be prepared to explain the truth of the phrase and give them a little historical insight. As I've mentioned elsewhere, there are loads of symbols & phrases that have been tarnished in the modern world and associated with 'evil' all because one group of idiots that nobody liked in the first place decided to misuse it. Read up about the history of the Pentagram, for one example.

And if someone decided to wear a plain old swastika (id est: not a black one surrounded in white & red) it really wouldn't bother me. I mean, are we supposed to forsake thousands of years of historical use and symbolism across various cultures all because some arse-hole in the 20th century decided to use it as his company logo? Now that's crazy.

Are you sure you're doing it for the wisdom and not for the video game after all?
Yes, which is why I wouldn't be willing to get a Keeper glyph tattooed on my arm either. Now having the Assassin's insignia tattooed on your body (as some members did) would be just for the videogame itself.

sfx666
03-28-2011, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by hendfarid:

whem i put this to translate the program give me "nothing is real, everything is possible" is that right?
For "Nothing is true, everything is permitted." will be: " .??? ???? ?? ?? ????, ??? ??? ???? " ?

El_Sjietah
03-28-2011, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by sfx666:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hendfarid:

whem i put this to translate the program give me "nothing is real, everything is possible" is that right?
For "Nothing is true, everything is permitted." will be: " .??? ???? ?? ?? ????, ??? ??? ???? " ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Online translators are very unreliable when translating between languages with different roots.

ie. German to Dutch is fairly reliable, because they both decend from a Germanic/Latin mix and the grammar and vocabulary is very similar.
When you're trying to translate a language with its roots in Latin/Celtic, like English, to a language with its roots in Arabic, however, you usually end up with gibberish or false translations.

hendfarid
03-28-2011, 10:29 AM
???? is possible
while ???? is permitted...
Since Hassan El Sabbah originally said his words (if this is true) in Arabic, then we should get the Arabic origin then translate it to English not the other way around...
If we can find a reliable source of the Arabic text! So maybe an in between that sounds correct arabic would be

El_Sjietah
03-28-2011, 11:01 AM
???? is possible
Since Hassan El Sabbah originally said his words (if this is true) in Arabic, then we should get the Arabic origin then translate it to English not the other way around...
If we can find a reliable source of the Arabic text! So maybe an in between that sounds correct arabic would be

"Laa shay'a waqui'n moutlaq bale kouloun moumkine."

That's what the assassins use ingame.

No idea what it looks like in Arab characters though.

hendfarid
03-28-2011, 02:09 PM
"Laa shay'a waqui'n moutlaq bale kouloun moumkine."
This is how it was said in AC2, when Ezio was becoming an Assassin..
to write it in Arabic it would be
????? ???? ???? ?? ?? ????
it means nothing is absolute truth or fact, but all is possible

sfx666
03-28-2011, 05:00 PM
???? is possible

That's exactly what I'm trying to do haha
And what the diference between " ?? ??? ????? " and " ??? ???? ?? ?? ???? " ?
Thanks for your help! =)

hendfarid
03-30-2011, 03:51 AM
There isn't much difference between the two
" ?? ??? ????? " this means nothing is true
" ??? ???? ?? ?? ???? " there is nothing that is correct

I feel the first is a better Arabic, and closer to a normal quote

mynmskrl500
04-09-2011, 12:55 AM
Yup, i remembered the saying from AC2. Nulla e reale, tutto e lecito. Well i dont have those upper coma doings. But yes, that should be it... If you like I can tell you the estonian one. "Mitte miski pole tősi, kőik on keelatud"

Arlik6
04-22-2011, 02:04 AM
"Nothing is true. Everything is permitted"

"Laa shay'a waqi'un moutlaq bale kouloun moumkine"
Ezio says that when your recruit becomes an assassin... so, this one is correct

payrob07
04-22-2011, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Cjail:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hexagram_oracle:
My friends and I are planning on getting "Nothing is True, Everything is permitted" tattoos in our various ancestries' languages (Arabic, Spanish, Italian, Russian, Urdu, Hebrew and Cantonese)...

The first Translation is wrong: we translate "True"="Vero" ("Reale" means "real"), also we use "lecito" as in englis you use "legal/right".
If you want some good translations in Italian use: "Nulla č vero, tutto č concesso." "Niente č vero, tutto č concesso." .

The second translation is partiually wrong: "allineare" means "to line up"; "consentito" is correct but (from my point of view) it is less musical then "concesso"!

There can be many small variations of this phrase but with my translations you should be more than fine.
I hope I was helpful! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly, except I am french... fluent in both italian and french
. I was just thinking about if you visited here: propel would be like wtf does that mean

Inorganic9_2
04-24-2011, 02:23 PM
Faroese for you!

Einki er satt, alt er latin

I'm pretty sure that last word isn't right though :P

Mic_92
04-24-2011, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Wzu_:
This has to be the dumbest idea ever. When you're 30, you'll think, "Holy crap, that was stupid".

You're getting a video game motto BRANDED on you. For the rest of your life. When you're 70, you'll have the Assassins Creed motto inked into you, you realise?

I mean, forget that you're going to want to put yourself into a coma in 20 years, people are going to look at you the day after you get it
and just think, "WOW. What an utter moron."

No offense but this guy is right. I know it's none of my business but this is silly and you will definitely regret it one day.

itsamea-mario
04-24-2011, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Inorganic9_2:
Faroese for you!

Woohoo Faroese, now i'm imagining TYR going around assasinating people.

Xaerxion
04-25-2011, 10:09 PM
No translations yet, gonna translate it as soon as I can confirm my translations with my friends. Chinese and Japanese anyone? If I'm lucky I think I should be able to get Korean...

Inorganic9_2
04-26-2011, 05:11 AM
Originally posted by itsamea-mario:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Inorganic9_2:
Faroese for you!

Woohoo Faroese, now i'm imagining TYR going around assasinating people. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Internets to you, Sir http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

How about Middle English?
Nought is treowe, al is i-grauntyed

I've just started learning Old English too, but I can;t quite say it yet http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

GallopRider
04-29-2011, 07:22 PM
Umm, getting a tattoo is something that needs to be thought out. It's kinda permanent, so.... And you may very well feel differently about your choice in a few years, or even in a few months.

But to expand this fabulous multi-lingual quote board: Semmi van igaz. Minden van megengedett

That was Hungarian. This is not Sparta! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

ResistantGiant
05-10-2011, 10:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by samward:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by El_Sjietah:
I am not saying I agree with the Templar's or Hitler, certainly NOT!! But for arguments sake, if every human is to find their own truth, well don't you think that the Templar's and Hitler and every other person good or bad believed that the path they were on was the true and good path they should take? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They did and they had every right to. It's when they enforce that truth on others that they go against the code. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not saying I'm right and surely not that you're wrong but I feel like somethings have more meaning behind them then they seem to and i feel as though you've put very little thought into the idea behind such a few simple words that have managed to live on for close to a thousand years. By saying nothing is true how can one find his own truth being that nothing is true? The way i see it is that nothing really is true, in any aspect of any way. Being that in the first sense nothing is completely real at all, which appeals to the fact that everything is permitted. First you have to understand that nothing appeals to being true, as your 5 senses are merely a deception of the mind. As well as you would also have to view this matter in a way I understand it, to believe that every thing is some form of energy, in which a way it is, and we can manipulate energy through our minds, to create anything, because everything is possible, which in a world where nothing is true once you can understand the physics of it all everything would be allowed and anything can be done. The fact that you look at it simply as a way of doing something shows that you can only half way grasp this concept as even we have come so far yet still understand so little. Those of you interpreting this as merely such a way of doing something could be right and i may just be rambling on about nothing, but if you can see with your mind instead of perceiving through your eyes which in turn again is merely deception then you can understand what im saying, and if you'd like me to go into more detail and not just state something a few times i will.

Cocoamonster
06-15-2011, 03:43 PM
Translations are always a bit foggy, and can differ from language to language to convey the same meaning. This is even true for dialects of the same language, so to ask for a universal translation is somewhat rough. Idealy the translation to every language would be taken straight from the arabic to maintain true fidelity. So I'll speak for what I know. I am a fluent spanish speaker from Mexico educated in a handful of languages, none of which I'm fluent but here is my stab at the Spanish translation based on the English.

What has been said before is somewhat true and correct, again it depends who you ask for a translation and their understaing of the language.
Let's being with a literal translation:

Nothing is true, Everthing is permitted.

Nothing = Nada
is = es/esta
true = verdaro/cierto/real/exacto
Everything = Todo
is = es/esta
Permitted = permitido

This is where things get complicated. The original phrase Nothing is permitted had nothing as the subject with is as the verb acting on it. In spanish 2 "to be" verb can be used one conveing an absolute state of being and the other conveys a tempory or transient state of being. In the context of this phrase the absolute makes more sense so we use the verb "ser" which conjugates as "es". The most difficult part of this phrase is the the word "true". First we note that it is an adjective so it acts on the subject by means of the verb. The complication comes from the interpretation of the word "true".

verdadero = conveys the idea that the subject has the quality of being truthful. In all senses this word carries the same about of ambiguity that "true" carries in english so it makes it a prime choice

cierto = If we only take the word true in the context of oposition to "false" then this serves as a much better choice given that in the language it is used to mean the exact opposite of false.

real = It's exactly what you would read in english, so it relates to reality, so if one's interpretation of the phrase is focused on an existensial perpective, this would be a good choice

The second part of the phrase "Everything is permitted" is far less complicated in that it can be translated literally with out much complicaton

"Todo es/esta permitido"

"Everything" and "permitted" translate quite literally, one could argue that interpretation would suggest other options but I personally feel that whenever a direct translation is possible and meaning is not lost one should strive for it. So I stick with "Todo" and "permitido". The real dilema comes in choosing a translation for "is" either choice is adequate, the only difference is the implication of the choice. Using "es" implies an absoluteness of the statement while "esta" implies a temporary allowance. I would choose "es" however, "esta" sounds far more natural in spoken language and little distinction is made in understanding. Truly in this case both are used interchangeably.

The result is a combination of equally correct phrases and the choice is on the personal interpretation of the original phrase.

I will say the I would choose between:

"Nada es verdadero, todo es permitido"
"Nada es cierto, todo es permitido"

Both of these convey the original sentiment and ambiguity of the original phrase.

One issue remains if the second part is translated differently as I've seen in a number of places. "Nothing is forbidden" the phrase translates to:

"Nada es/esta prohibido"

Again one is free to choose which form of "to be" is used as both are correct.

It all comes down to personal choice given that all these phrases all translate back to "Nothing is true, Everything is permitted"

JJTHoukes
06-16-2011, 04:03 PM
Since everyone is translating it to their own languages too..

It's "Niets is waar, alles is toegestaan" in Dutch.

Conniving_Eagle
06-16-2011, 04:08 PM
Slovenian: Nic(ch) je resno, Vse je dovolno.

No offense, but it sounds kind of like a stupid idea. You're kind of taking fanboyism to a whole new level, and you're going to be paying for alot of tattoos for something you might regret when you're older.

Thug-U
06-16-2011, 04:12 PM
In Danish it's "Intet er sandt, Alt er tilladt".

AswaxSora
07-22-2011, 06:05 PM
Um. The actual Arabic kind of made me wonder how to translate it.

I'm learning to read the Qur'?n, and I asked my Arabic teacher to explain it. Of course, he's English is alright, so I tried to find the Arabic. He then translated it into English for me. (I don't speak Arabic; I know more Urdu)

English: Nothing is Perfect; Everything is Possible

Arabic: ??? ???? ?? ?? ???? ?? ??? ????? ??

The other ones are actually incorrect because he said they were only letters; not true words. This one is the actual sentence.

Though, we may never know what Hassan-i Sabbah said without a time machine/the Animus.

Those are my two cents since I come from an Islamic background. I could still be wrong.

Xanatos2007
07-23-2011, 12:05 AM
I did my best to get a Japanese translation and came up with this:

< <span class="ev_code_RED">??????</span> > Shinjitsu nani mo nai (There is nothing true)
or
< <span class="ev_code_RED">???????</span> > Shinjitsu-da nani mo nai (Nothing is truth)

< <span class="ev_code_RED">???????</span> > Nani demo kan?desu (Anything is possible)
If there's any fluent Japanese speakers here can you review that translation & check if it makes sense?

ZaNgeTsu_uAe
07-23-2011, 05:31 AM
Nothing is true in Arabic is = ?? ??? ?????
Everything is permitted = ?? ??? ????

I'm an Arab so I think i'm a reliable source.

Rock on!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/metal.gif

SixKeys
07-23-2011, 05:53 AM
Finnish:

"Mikään ei ole totta, kaikki on sallittua."

blazefp
07-23-2011, 03:44 PM
Portuguese: Nada é verdadeiro, tudo é permitido
Spanish: Nada es verdadero, todo es posible

Kill3r333
07-23-2011, 11:34 PM
http://www.ackuna.com/badtranslator

Original text:

"Nothing is true, everything is permitted."

...56 translations later we get:

"Yes, yes."

You better make sure you get these translations correct before you permanently print the wrong thing onto your skin.

asifah30
08-19-2011, 11:51 PM
You ask it in Urdu, nowadays I am reading a Urdu book which has a complete Chapter about 'Assassins' (Called Feedain or Hasheesheen in Arabic/Urdu). This phrase belongs to 'Hassan bin Sabah'

Nothing is true, Everything is permitted'
Koe bee shay such nahi hai, har shay Jaez hai'

Nothing is true, Everything is permitted'
Koe bee shay haq nahi hai, sab kuch Jaez hai'

gharlazufarc
08-30-2011, 07:55 AM
In Indonesian: Tidak ada yang benar, semua diijinkan
In Javanese: Ora ono sing bener, semuane diijinken

POP1Fan
08-30-2011, 08:39 AM
Romanian : Nimic nu e adevarat,totul e permis.

bericht2bart
10-04-2011, 11:47 AM
In Afrikaans you could use the same thing as in Dutch. Niets is waar, alles is toegestaan/mogelijk

Yak_Leung
11-10-2011, 06:23 PM
I'll give the Chinese Mandarin version and the cantonese version, as i'm Chinese born in GuangDong Province..

The Madarin version is:?????????..
Pronunciation is like "want would jet con, want should jet ruin" in English..

The Cantonese version is actually the same with the Mandarin Version in letters ,but pronunciation is different.
The pronunciation of Cantonese version is like:
"Man mut guy hong, man sheet guy went"

Yak_Leung
11-10-2011, 06:40 PM
I did my best to get a Japanese translation and came up with this:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">< <span class="ev_code_RED">??????</span> > Shinjitsu nani mo nai (There is nothing true)
or
< <span class="ev_code_RED">???????</span> > Shinjitsu-da nani mo nai (Nothing is truth)

< <span class="ev_code_RED">???????</span> > Nani demo kan?desu (Anything is possible)
If there's any fluent Japanese speakers here can you review that translation & check if it makes sense? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It makes sense, but a little, colloquial..
I would like to translate it into:??????????
Pronunciation is like: ma ko to na shi, su be te ka nou..
I'm not Japanese native speaker, i'm just living in Japan..so also like to see the translation from the native speakers..

Cordero1308
12-31-2011, 03:52 PM
I'm spanish speaker. I'm from Colombia. The spanish traslation of the sentence would be "Nada es verdad, Todo está permitido" Hope this can help you. Happy New Year http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

CkSwtos
12-31-2011, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by samward:

Nothing is true

To say that nothing is true is to realize that the foundations of society are fragile and that we must be the shepherds of our own civilization.

Eveyrthing if permitted
To say that everything is permitted is to understand that we are the architects of our own actions, and that we must live with their consequences, whether glorius or tragic.

CkSwtos
12-31-2011, 04:29 PM
You didn' ask for this translation but I cn only tell you the Greek one apart the English one.

?????? ??? ????? ???????, ??? ????????????.

Sevenofnine-st
01-01-2012, 07:18 PM
In French - Rien n'est vrai. Tout est permis. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

angelfathi
09-26-2012, 03:33 PM
In Arabic "لا شئ حقيقى , كل شئ جايز" = "La shay' hakeky , kol shay' gayez"
Or "لا شئ حقيقى , كل شئ مسموح" = "La shay' hakeky , kol shay' masmouh"

TinyTemplar
09-26-2012, 04:27 PM
The official Russian version is: Ничто не истина, всё дозволено = Nichto ne istina, vse dozvoleno

ArisBoch10
01-27-2013, 03:50 AM
German: "Nichts ist wahr, alles ist erlaubt."

RinoTheBouncer
01-27-2013, 12:01 PM
لا شيء واقع مطلق بل كل ممكن

Escappa
01-27-2013, 02:34 PM
"Inget är sant, allt är tillĺtet" That's the swedish way. :)

montagemik
01-27-2013, 03:12 PM
North East England = "You lying B*****d - I'll smash your f*****g teeth in" . :o

Escappa
01-27-2013, 04:45 PM
North East England = "You lying B*****d - I'll smash your f*****g teeth in" . :o

That's the most brilliant thing ever :D

catkiller97
01-27-2013, 05:02 PM
^^ Best translation..

straty88
01-27-2013, 05:04 PM

All it needs now is a scouse accent to go with it, Perhaps AC4 hey? :)

montagemik
01-28-2013, 02:01 PM
That's the most brilliant thing ever :D

NO - It's deeply offensive to everyone old enough to be playing this game or to people from my country . Apparently .:nonchalance: Sense of humour DLC to be added soon .

SeriousBoy1
01-28-2013, 02:21 PM
Hebrew translation:
שום דבר לא נכון, הכל מותר
Or
כלום לא נכון, הכל מותר

Russian Tranlation:
Ничто не истинно, все позволено
Or
Ничто не настоящий, все разрешенный

Joe_Goulart
03-06-2015, 06:05 AM
Japanese: 真実は無く、許されぬ事など無い
Shinjitsu wa naku yurusarenu koto nado nai.
---
Shinjitsu wa = "True".
naku = "there is not".
yurusarenu koto = "Not permitted"
nado = "et cetera", "and so on".
nai = "there is not".

siralex1986
03-06-2015, 04:28 PM

The second translation is partially wrong: "allineare" means "to line up"; "consentito" is correct but (from my point of view) it is less musical then "concesso"!

I hope I was helpful!

No offense, but I hope OP has not already tatooed "Nulla č vero, tutto č concesso" on one of his arms.

While I do agree that yours is the literal correct one, I would never use it on a proper spoken or written sentence, especially considering the meaning it has in the game.

Honestly I think that the official translation, which is "Nulla č reale, tutto č lecito", sounds quite good and appropriate even if "lecito" is not exactly right; also, since we have an official dubbing, I would refer to it if my purpose is to get a tatoo that should remind me of the game. Having some "fan made" translation wouldn't be really cool, even if it's more correct than the original!

Jackdaw951
03-06-2015, 10:11 PM

I'm late to the party, but that's probably the best translation. The only variation I can think of for each clause would be "nada es verdadero; todo se permite".

Edit: Hmm. Thinking on it a bit more, I'm now going to recommend this:

Nada es la verdad.
Todo se permite.

VoldR
03-07-2015, 08:00 AM
"Tiada kebenaran, kesemuanya dibenarkan"

Poor direct translation in Malay.

Just realised truth and permitted have a similar spelling in the word.

Zee_DeCoY
03-21-2015, 09:45 PM
Just adding my two cents. Yes, I know Im late. shaddup.

Ive seen a Hungarian translation beforehand but it was completely wrong.
Correct way of saying it is either
"Semmi sem valós, minden megengedett"

or

"Semmi sem igaz, minden engedélyezett."

Semmi - Nothing
sem - is (in Hungarian we have double negatives so technically it means "is not")
valós - true (actually a dual meaning word: Its exact translation means "real". It better conveys the original saying with the sense of "question everything")
minden - everything
megengedett - is allowed (can be interpreted as permitted. This sense of the word allows for it to be used as "permitted" as well as "possible"

In version two
igaz - true (true/false sense)
engedélyezett - permitted (it does not convey the "is possible" meaning as "megengedett" would)

Version two whilst more correct to the original words does not convey the idea behind the saying. Using "Semmi sem igaz, minden engedélyezett" sounds very formal and almost childish like, whilst "Semmi sem valós, minden megengedett" has more mature ring to it in Hungarian (does that even make sense?)

Source:
Hungarian living in the UK.

Anubis369
09-01-2016, 02:48 AM
Anyone know the translation for sub-sahara Africa? Zulu or Swahili?

SassyAssassy
01-07-2017, 07:19 PM
My friends and I are planning on getting "Nothing is True, Everything is permitted" tattoos in our various ancestries' languages (Arabic, Spanish, Italian, Russian, Urdu, Hebrew and Cantonese) but we are having trouble getting all the variations. Obviously some of these will require new translations but, since AS2 was released with Spanish and Italian dubs and (I think) Russian subs, I was hoping you good people here could help us out.

The Russian one is "Ничто не истинно, все дозволено"