PDA

View Full Version : Idea on Feats/Help balance the game

Sweaty_Sock
04-02-2019, 11:07 AM
Just a thought, feel free to shoot it down

Imagine if you started the game with all feats unlocked - you had to spend renown you'd earnt to activate it. Passives have a toggle on/off button, each time it is triggered while activated (e.g. bleeding hits thick blooded) there is a renown cost paid

Make these uses impact the score at the end of the game

-Why?

1) some characters have much better feats than others, some players have feats they prefer inn their playstyle - this would allow players to focus more heavily on a feat they want rather than being stuck with a couple that they don't want

2) Add bonus score for unspent renown - this would encourage players on a team that is winning to withhold from dumping a catapult on the one enemy who's actually fighting as it would negatively impact their score, feats would be used more widely by players who were facing defeat

3) add a reward for honorable kills, again this would discourage ganks but not if a game is close

The point i'm trying to get at is when there is a vast difference in skill level between two teams, the winning/higher skilled team would think twice about just mercilessly ganking/feat bombing - the attempt here is to incentivize teams that are winning from using feats to completely stomp the enemy, as it stands why not just firebomb the last alive on a breaking team etc

EDIT: you would obviously still need some cooldowns.This is based on the real world idea of taxing things you want to discourage (but still allowing them) and subsidizing things you want to encourage

UbiInsulin
04-02-2019, 07:30 PM
It's an interesting way to put a handicap in place for teams who think they have the game in hand. I just wonder how discouraging it would actually end up being. I suppose it depends on the exact costs.

Re #3: I don't think there's a desire to directly discourage ganks. Revenge is the tool that should make ganks less of a surefire thing.

Sweaty_Sock
04-03-2019, 02:52 PM
It's an interesting way to put a handicap in place for teams who think they have the game in hand. I just wonder how discouraging it would actually end up being. I suppose it depends on the exact costs.

Re #3: I don't think there's a desire to directly discourage ganks. Revenge is the tool that should make ganks less of a surefire thing.

Just floating the idea of some sort of incentive/reward as a softer approach doesn't seem to have been tried yet, currently its sweeping (and often divisive) changes the balance team come up with - i.e. imagine changing the system instead so killing someone in a 1 v 1 situation with revenge gets you 0 renown gain for example (its not like you cant now cap a point etc. etc.)

Everything seems to be sweeping hammer blow style changes - the newest revenge changes for example have made me put the game down significantly and really only play duels if I do pick it up (and to be honest i'm eying the space up on my harddrive if this is staying a significant period - it further empowers 4 man pre-mades if you want to know the reason for that)