PDA

View Full Version : That tricky little buffalo (read this!)

actionhank1786
01-23-2005, 03:43 PM
ok, i was flying the buffalo, and i'm wondering if others got this problem, or if it's just me.
I set up a mission, with the Carrier in a thunderstorm, i just wanted to play around on it.
I get in my little F2A2, and i'm pitching and rolling.
I get ready for take off, Radiator, flaps to take off, trim nuetral, full throttle, i release chocks, and the thing goes nuts.
halfway down the deck, The plane is pulling itself to the right, and hard back, and i'm trying to fight it and i run out of deck and then it goes into the water.
I think i experienced the same thing with it on a field once....although i could be drunk...or making that up.
so someone else give this a try, then report back if i'm either a. half ******ed, or b. the christopher columbus of a weird fm bug http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

actionhank1786
01-23-2005, 03:43 PM
ok, i was flying the buffalo, and i'm wondering if others got this problem, or if it's just me.
I set up a mission, with the Carrier in a thunderstorm, i just wanted to play around on it.
I get in my little F2A2, and i'm pitching and rolling.
I get ready for take off, Radiator, flaps to take off, trim nuetral, full throttle, i release chocks, and the thing goes nuts.
halfway down the deck, The plane is pulling itself to the right, and hard back, and i'm trying to fight it and i run out of deck and then it goes into the water.
I think i experienced the same thing with it on a field once....although i could be drunk...or making that up.
so someone else give this a try, then report back if i'm either a. half ******ed, or b. the christopher columbus of a weird fm bug http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

t0n.
01-23-2005, 04:01 PM
It does happen. Have to kick that right rudder hard and apply pressure both left and forward the moment you feel her go IIRC. She takes some getting used to.

Yellonet
01-23-2005, 04:29 PM
Tried it out just now... the little plane rolled to the right when it got up to speed.
I also tried it with a few other aircraft but they didn't roll... at least not much.

A light and wind sensitive plane perhaps?

Latico
01-23-2005, 04:30 PM
You ARE trying to take off duribng a thunderstorm, remember? Probably with winds of about 20 knts, gusting to 40 knts, and not necessarrily in the same direction all the time. Low visibilty on top of that.

What do you expect?

The smaller/lighter the plane, the more the storm model will affect the plane.

Lewicide
01-23-2005, 04:54 PM
Yep had the same problem big time.

This time in good weather and off moving carriers. Turned off complex engine management, same thing, rolled to the right before reaching the end of CVE deck, no ammount of rudder and aileron could compensate. Worse on the longer carrier, a ground loop! Turned off Torque/Gyro effects, no problem, seems to be a torque/gyro effect issue, maybe prop pitch.

I would really appreciate hearing from anyone who Knows how to deal with this.

actionhank1786
01-23-2005, 06:53 PM
Latico i understand it's a thunderstorm, but still, this wasnt a strong wind just blowing, it was an odd thing...have you tried it yourself?
go give it a go.
It's weird

Lewicide
01-23-2005, 07:59 PM
I've just tried to takeoff with the F2A2 on the runways, same problem, at between 100 and 130KPH an uncotrollable right hand roll, tried different prop pitches, different rates of advancing the throttle, tried trimming it out with ailerons and rudder, no dice. Makes it almost unflyable (except for airstarts) at full switch, can only get rid of it by turning off Torque/gyro effects, it doesn't show up to this degree in other A/C that I have noticed.

Does anyone know if this was present in 3.03? as I just upgraded through to 3.04 and didn't run 3.03 just loaded it so didn't try the 3.03 F2A2.

Cheers

Tully__
01-23-2005, 08:07 PM
The Buffalo, like the I-16, I-153 and P-40, has a nasty tendancy to roll (oddly modelled stall behaviour I think) while in 3 point attitude at less than 120km/h. Add in the crosswind associated with a thunderstorm and a rolling carrier deck and this makes for very challenging takeoffs (one of the compromises found necessary when carriers were added to the sim is that the weather effects were never designed with carriers turning into the wind for takeoff in mind).

The technique used in clear weather to alleviate this is the push the stick full forward before starting the takeoff run. This gets the tail off the ground and the aircraft out of the 3 point attitude before the roll becomes too savage to handle.

In a thunderstorm it gets much trickier as you have to compensate for the additional complications of the crosswind and the yaw and roll generated by it. I managed to get an F2 off a carrier at full steam (63km/h) in these conditions (2nd try) but it was decidedly ugly as takeoffs go. I haven't tried with lower carrier speeds, it was going that fast coz one of my test missions is already set up for that speed.

Lewicide
01-23-2005, 08:16 PM
Cheers Tully

will try that straight away, I hate having to fly with switches off. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

IL2-chuter
01-23-2005, 10:00 PM
Sounds like you're behind the power curve, maybe. Start rolling with forward stick and don't try to pick it up off the ground too soon. Take a bunch of aspirin and work it out, ok, dude. We're pullin' for ya. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Tully__
01-23-2005, 10:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by IL2-chuter:
Sounds like you're behind the power curve, maybe.... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Way behind, this problem occurs early in the take off roll, long before the aircraft are flying fast enough to attempt taking off.

Tully__
01-23-2005, 10:07 PM
Hank, if you've set the problem mission up in FMB, turn the carrier either due north or due south (whichever is into the crosswind you're experiencing), I've just discovered that the wind on all maps is from one of those two directions. That should get rid of the crosswind component and allow you to more easily deal with the cranky takeoff of the F2

actionhank1786
01-24-2005, 12:00 AM
hmm good idea tully, i was running it Northeast, so maybe that was it.
It's still weird http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif