PDA

View Full Version : [AC3 R] Disappointed with truncated ship sequence!

sidgirl
03-30-2019, 07:24 AM
I'm probably the only one, heh, but I'm really disappointed with the cuts made to the ship sequence.

I really enjoyed Haytham's journal entries and the sense of mystery and danger I had during the original game. (As someone who's sailed transatlantic three times, too, I actually had a sense of pleasant nostalgia from returning to my cabin to sleep, etc.)

Without some of that, not only do we lose some of Haytham's character--which is meaningful later--but much of it doesn't make sense. Why is Haytham telling the captain that he's a bully and a bad captain, when we haven't seen any of the reasons for that? Without the opening conversation (and glimpses of ship life), it seems weird for Haytham to be so adversarial to Smythe, and for the crew to be so adversarial to Haytham. Why was this all cut?

And since we don't have time to explore the ship or talk to any of the people on it like we did before, the big storm etc. sequence is harder--we don't know where anything is.

Don't get me wrong--I'm still delighted to have this game for my PS4 and am genuinely thrilled to play as and see Haytham again (one of my fave characters), and can't wait to "be" Connor and see the Homestead and everything again, too. It is really wonderful to play III again, and I don't even think the faces in the cutscenes are that bad.

But I really liked the ship sequence, and I don't understand the decision to cut what amounted to maybe five minutes, especially when cutting those minutes led to a loss of characterization, atmosphere, and story.

(If you guys were so eager to cut some stuff, I hope you cut down on the extended Hide-and-Seek and hunting tutorials, too! Those could stand to be much, much shorter, IMO, whereas the ship storyline was actually interesting. Kiddie Connor is the only section of the game I've ever been genuinely bored by.)

Am I the only one, or is anyone else also disappointed with this choice?

DerHowl
03-30-2019, 07:37 AM
Well this is weird. I didn't notice any cuts myself compared to the original, strange...

EDIT: Yeah, I redid that sequence and there was no parts where you need to return to your cabin, it's just gone.

raddevbor
03-30-2019, 08:53 AM
OP is right. When I visited my cabin on Providence I thought to myself: "This is a place I'll be going to sleep in". And no such a scene later.
I'm only hoping they didn't cut Konami code easter egg, which I wasn't aware of when playing ACIII for the first time... :D

Kamamura
03-30-2019, 09:41 AM
Yeah, it's true. Casuals complained that the "ship is too slow", so they just cut it here and there, leaving us with a bleeding torso.

This "remaster" looks more like a disaster.

SixKeys
03-30-2019, 10:19 AM
Yeah, it's true. Casuals complained that the "ship is too slow", so they just cut it here and there, leaving us with a bleeding torso.

This "remaster" looks more like a disaster.

You don't have to be a "casual" to think the original sequence was way too long. Some of the cuts in later sequences are actually very welcome, namely removing the pointless "walk 150 m from point A to B" (while no dialogue or anything happens) intermissions and just skipping straight to where the scene actually begins.
But randomly editing a scene that has a certain flow and logic of events, to the point where those things are lost, is simply asinine.

Skauron
03-30-2019, 10:31 AM
i've never played the original ac3 or libreration, i have played every other game in the series, so i'm playing with just what is in the remaster. openmind mode=on. so i'm just playing to entertain myself :)

nessamelda
03-30-2019, 10:40 AM
Yes the original PS3 version flowed better for that section (I have them both operational so it’s pretty easy to compare the two). Generally I prefer the remaster-the scenery is much prettier and while the faces are firmly in uncanny valley territory it’s mainly in cut scenes-and honestly it’s mainly that it looks odd on comparison with the much clearer rendering of the backgrounds. At least you can see what is going on in the remaster rather than the Stygian gloom of the original! And it definitely seems there are a few improvements to the way the thing plays otherwise.

hkkane2012
03-30-2019, 01:12 PM
not only sequence 1,they had some cut scenes in other sequence get cuts

sidgirl
03-30-2019, 07:10 PM
i've never played the original ac3 or libreration, i have played every other game in the series, so i'm playing with just what is in the remaster. openmind mode=on. so i'm just playing to entertain myself :)

Which is awesome, and the game is still fun--I'm having a blast playing it, too! I'm just disappointed that one of my favorite sequences in the game is missing some parts I really enjoyed, and thought I'd let Ubi know and see if anyone else felt the same (and see if I could find out what the reasoning behind it was). It doesn't ruin the game for me or anything.

not only sequence 1, they had some cut scenes in other sequence get cuts

I haven't left Haytham yet, but yeah, I'm noticing fewer objectives/tasks in some of his scenes/missions, as well.

And the "wait/follow" for Charles Lee doesn't seem to be working. That jerk made me fail twice because he insisted on running after me (or ahead of me!) and standing there outside the clump of bushes in which I was hiding.

Anykeyer
03-31-2019, 06:23 AM
Its not just ship. For some unknown reason you cant explore Boston's undeground as Haytham anymore. Also you cant loot any chests at all. While in original Hatham had access to some. This didnt produce any problems later because all the money you had as Haytham was stored in Green Dragon tavern chest for Connor to loot later.
At least its still possible to return the 1st Almanac to Franklin.

Nucl3ar_Snake
04-03-2019, 07:05 PM
I too wish they had kept the ship sequence intact. I get the reasoning behind the decision, but Haytham is my favorite character and I'm disappointed any of his screen time/dialogue was cut. I wish there was a way to play the either the full version or short version.

guest-zHgUklOm
04-03-2019, 07:27 PM
Yea, they should have it selectable in the menu. I don't like that they cut out content like this. Some of us like the experience but I feel as if even commenting here or starting a thread on any issue is pointless, I made a thread about the faces/textures on console versions, and they moved it to the PC forums!? :confused:

It's very off putting, as I don't think I came off like a complainer, was trying not to. Hopefully they will add back/fix some of these issues and listen to the community. It really is not THAT bad. But some of the things that got cut/not fixed is a little odd and takes away from such a great game.

Ubi-RealDude
04-05-2019, 08:52 PM
To elaborate on the cuts that the OP identified in the intro ship scene, how do you all feel that changes the characterization of Haytham? What does it do to his character ti have those scenes removed? If this was your first time playing ACIII especially, how do you see Haytham with the changed context?

NumexNumisma
04-05-2019, 09:08 PM
Honestly, how is a survey going to help?

Locopells
04-06-2019, 10:49 AM
If you want the full sequence restored, I'd go with it.

NumexNumisma
04-06-2019, 01:15 PM
Then it's easy, removing these mundane actions does remove some of the humanity from Haytham. To show that even someone like him has to endure the long and arduous trip, same as others, makes his character more normal, more than just this uber-assassin/templar, who is completely unflappable. Allowing him to talk to some more people makes him seem less aloof, shows that he can interact with those who he can not "profit" from. I hope this makes some sense, as to what I am trying to get at. Cheers

Nucl3ar_Snake
04-06-2019, 02:50 PM
Agreed! Couldn’t have said it better myself :D

Locopells
04-11-2019, 01:47 PM
Having just compared my playthrough with an old recording, all that I can see is missing from the ship sequence is the 'return to cabin' scene which doesn't have any dialogue anyway

In other words, it's pretty much as I remember it?