PDA

View Full Version : How do i change the Medals given to me?

Dominicrigg
09-25-2005, 04:42 AM
Hi everyone. I posted a few days back with the medals i had thinking i had them all. Well i didnt, but now i do! The next mission i got about 30k and ended up getting the swords ect in gold.

The thing is im not all that amazing, im level with the historical top ace at the moment in the charts and he didnt get all the medals i have http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_redface.gif

What im wondering is which files do i have to mess with to make the medals harder to get, and is this even possible? I guess they are set by tonnage sunk or similar.

Well thanks for any help.

DiveDevil
09-25-2005, 07:05 AM
Good question Dominicrigg I've been wondering that myself. Seems like I get a medal every other patrol. Once I set up for a patrol and had to abort while still in the pens. When I exited the patrol and docked the patrol summary screen showed I had been awarded the knights cross! I had even turned the engines over http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/354.gif. Talk about giving them away! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

So ya if anyone knows away to change this I'd like to hear about it as well.

Chrystine
09-25-2005, 08:58 AM

Hi guys,

I€ve not tried it €" mostly because I don€t much care as yet€¦ But I Think you should be able to modify those values by editing the €˜<span class="ev_code_white">Basic.cfg</span>.€

By default, in: <span class="ev_code_white">C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII\data\Cfg</span>

Open the file, and scroll down to the 4th section €" €˜[PLAYER_RENOWN]€

I believe the values shown are cumulative (not per patrol): the value set is the number of renown points needed to be acquired over Career history time, to receive medal €˜X.€

..Guessing here, of course €" but I think so€¦

Best,
~ C.

Dominicrigg
09-25-2005, 09:43 AM
OK thanks, so this is the bit you mean

[PLAYER_RENOWN]
AcademyBonus=1000
RankLevel0=0; SCORE
RankLevel1=5000; SCORE
RankLevel2=15000; SCORE
RankLevel3=25000; SCORE
MedalSettings0=0.25
MedalSettings1=0.5
MedalSettings2=1
MedalScore0=3000;2 class, SCORE
MedalScore1=6000;1 class, SCORE
MedalScore2=10000; knight, SCORE
MedalScore3=15000; oak leaves, SCORE
MedalScore4=20000;swords, SCORE
MedalScore5=25000;diamonds, SCORE
MedalScore6=30000;all, SCORE

Can anyone explain it to me? Im not to sure what it all means. I think it means getting 3000 or more will get you the first medal, next patrol if you get 6000 or more you get the next medal, then to get the next stage you need 10,000 or more on a patrol. Is this right? If so i have a decent idea what to change them all to when i have finished the career I am on.

Thanks again.

Chrystine
09-25-2005, 10:23 AM

Hi Dom,

€œ I think it means getting 3000 or more will get you the first medal,€

Right.

€œ..next patrol if you get 6000 or more you get the next medal€¦€

Cummulative.
Not 6,000 for that patrol €" but if what you €˜Have in Total€ = 6,000, you receive the next.
( I think: but I have the IC 1st, and have never had 9,000 renown points at once here yet €" nor have I ever had a patrol that earned 6,000 renown. LoL http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif - Look at what it took for Kaleun1961 to get 4,000 renown for his 100K patrol).

€œ..then to get the next stage you need 10,000 or more on a patrol. Is this right?€

I don€t see how that can be right. 10,000 renown for a single patrol is scarcely possible.
It has to be cumulative over the history of the Career.
All values within the Career timeline.

I also have no clue what the MedalSettings_= values compute, but I€m sure someone here does€¦

Best,
~ C.

Dominicrigg
09-25-2005, 10:41 AM
Maybe, im confused, i was thinking it was rated in tonnes. Doh!

Right... I think you are right there. But i wasnt aware I had that much renown to have all the medals. That is a bit of a shizer way to do it, i wonder if it could be written to give medals the way i said then. That would be a much better system!

I need to check my renown but i cant have 30,000 can I? I have only sunk about 150k i think... Uhhh i need to look.

Seepferd
09-25-2005, 11:36 AM
The issueing of medals is one of the things I'd like to see changed to something more realistic. On one campaign I started with a type IIA and had sunk 60,000 tons and had every medal you could get, and I think it was only February of 1940. That's just a little over the top if you ask me.

Chrystine
09-25-2005, 11:43 AM

Hmmm€¦

You may be right there in any event Dom. Maybe that is €˜tonnage.€
I just assumed those are renown points, being that it€s in the [Player Renown] category.

All right, I€ve officially completely confused myself now.
I suspect it probably is cumulative-renown - but gee-wiz €¦ http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Best,
~ C.

Dominicrigg
09-26-2005, 05:42 PM
The medals are bugged http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

I just checked through my current carreer. I have done 8 patrols and now have 11,569 renown.

Take from that the renown for buying a VIIC, engine upgrade and the hydrophones it shouldnt be much more then 15,000 total earned.

Even despite this i have all the medals already, when if you look in the file it says

MedalScore0=3000;2 class, SCORE
MedalScore1=6000;1 class, SCORE
MedalScore2=10000; knight, SCORE
MedalScore3=15000; oak leaves, SCORE
MedalScore4=20000;swords, SCORE
MedalScore6=30000;all, SCORE

Anyone really clever in programming that can look at this and figure out whats gone wrong? Though the makers of the game really should be doing this!!

uhh anyhow im off to bed, its far too late lol.

Night all.

rick_475
09-27-2005, 08:22 AM
Dominicrigg, your post just reminded me to do the modification, just like you I realized how unreal the medal system is. I will try changes this weekend (don't have time to play during the week). However if you have time to play and would like to give us some feedback, I can suggest some modifications :

MedalScore0=15000;2 class, SCORE
MedalScore1=35000;1 class, SCORE
MedalScore2=80000; knight, SCORE
MedalScore3=150000; oak leaves, SCORE
MedalScore4=220000;swords, SCORE
MedalScore5=275000;diamonds, SCORE
MedalScore6=420000;all, SCORE

I did the modifications quite quickly, I figured that Diamonds should be given if you tie the score of Otto Kretschmer, and for the golden oak leaves, since only 1 soldier got it during the whole war (Hans-Ulrich Rudel), you'll need quite a high score to get it. If you want realism you could always search on ww2 websites and try to determine the values for each medals. If you do so you'll need to do a lot of calculation and an average, because the criteria wasn't the same for every men. Also you could do just like me (if it works) and try some random values that you judge fair.

I hope it will help, give us some feedback if you have time.

PS. I suggest that you start a new career each time you test new values.

Dominicrigg
09-27-2005, 01:08 PM
Im not sure its tons though, i think its renown. So we need to work out the renown you get. Its bugged also, because it worked correctly for the lower medals, and then just gave me a load at once! I will check out how much tonnage and renown i had for each medal, but i dont think it works.

Kaleun1961
09-27-2005, 01:33 PM
I hope we can get this one figured out for certain. It would also be nice if we could get difficulty figured into the renown system. I'm thinking back to my Aces of the Deep game, in which the difficulty of a sinking was also a factor in your medals awarded. Sinking a lone ship is easier than sinking the identical ship in a well defended convoy.

There were variables that factored into the decision by the high commmand as to what medals, if any, to award. The most important were the value of the vessel, the difficulty in sinking it, the courage or innovation demonstrated, and the contribution toward victory.

One U-boat Kaleun got a Knight's Cross without ever sinking an enemy vessel! He was instrumental in making contact and tracking a convoy, relating position reports to BDU, allowing the formation of a wolf pack and the resultant successful attack on that convoy. Although he did not sink any ships, his dogged determination contributed to the successful attacks of other U-boats, for which he was awarded a Knight's Cross.

As the war progressed and it became harder to sink enemy shipping, the tonnage requirements were lowered. It was much more difficult to get to 100,000 tons in 1943 than 1940. BDu took this into account, so that later captains earned a Knight's Cross, having sunk less shipping than their predecessors, but in a more challenging operational environment. Especially was this true when considering that such captains put to sea with younger and more inexperienced crews.

It would be nice to earn more renown for sinking a C3 from a convoy rather than sinking one sailing alone or at dock. This would encourage more players to go after the more difficult targets. As the game is now, I don't think it is possible to implement this. However, we can always hope for the future...

rick_475
09-28-2005, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by Dominicrigg:
Im not sure its tons though, i think its renown. So we need to work out the renown you get. Its bugged also, because it worked correctly for the lower medals, and then just gave me a load at once! I will check out how much tonnage and renown i had for each medal, but i dont think it works.

That's surprising that you say it's probably not in tonnage cause in your first post you said "Well i didnt, but now i do! The next mission i got about 30k and ended up getting the swords ect in gold."

and now check this out with the file :

MedalScore6=30000;all, SCORE <----- You see that!

Even if you suspect that my solution isn't good, it's worth the try.

My second solution would be to increase the value in a different way.

Per exemple if you think it should take 2x or 4x more time to get the medals just increase the values accordingly.

MedalScore0=6000;2 class, SCORE 2x times
MedalScore1=15000;1 class, SCORE 2x times
MedalScore2=30000; knight, SCORE 3x times
MedalScore3=45000; oak leaves, SCORE 3x times
MedalScore4=60000;swords, SCORE 3x times
MedalScore5=100000;diamonds, SCORE 4x times
MedalScore6=140000;all, SCORE +4x times

Even if the system works on renown, it should take more time to get the medals, isn't what we want? So I would test the 2 solutions, and if it doesn't work I'll figure out something else.

If you have time to test the solutions, I suggest that you play on low level of realism, that way you can go full speed ahead and quit the mission whenever you like. Also I would try another test where I would join and quit missions and make sure I get 0 tonnage, just to see if you get medals and if so, how long it takes.

Dominicrigg
09-28-2005, 08:15 AM
Well im totally lost with how it works. Here i made a list last night of the medals i got and at which stage, this may help you.

I will be starting a new career soon so we should decide on which one we will test with. Check this and then let me know.
The renown shows my total renown less purchases at the end of the mission. The tonnage is mission tonnage not total.

1st patrol 2390 ren 6,720 T
2nd patrol 3433 ren 10,531 T
Iron Cross 2nd class and Uboat clasp recieved
Bought type VII

3rd patrol 1,794 ren 17,258 T
Iron Cross First class recieved and Uboat badge

4th patrol 4,220 ren 48,869 T
Knights Cross, German cross recieved.

5th Patrol 5,780 ren 28,753 T
Knights cross, oak leaves+ oak leaves and swords

6th Patrol 7,190 ren 23,726 T
Oak leaves, swords diamonds and golden oakleavs swords and diamonds.

7th Patrol 8,683 ren 39,815 T
8th Patrol 11,569 ren 71,326 T

Career Total 246,998 tons

roughly 14,000 Renown

The reason i said its bugged is because only the first few times i recieved awards seemed to tally with the programmed numbers. It only seems correct up to knights cross if you look at renown. Then it goes pete tong and starts handing out medals for very few renown increases.

When i passed 3000 renown then i get the first medal, which tallies. The next few seem near also.

Throughout all i bought was Type VII, engines and hyrdophones. No batteries and no crew apart from the initial ones when i got a type VII.

What do you think?

Would be cool to get everyones minds on this.

rick_475
09-28-2005, 11:32 AM
Domincrigg,

This weekend I'll test both solutions. Did you try my 1st solution for your testing or did you play with the original values? If you tried my solution then just forget what you're about to read.

After analysis of your result, I can only speculate on the awards, why didn't you get the golden oak leaves at the 30 000 ton mark? Maybe you can't get 2 medals at the same time (except for german cross in gold + uboat badge !?) Your test was flawed in a way because you sank too much tonnage. What you need to do is to sink less than 5000 per mission, that way you will fill only 1 medal condition at a time, if you sink too many ships, then I guess you fulfill several conditions at the same time and that could explain why you get all the medals one after the other. So for testing purposes limit yourself to 5000 tons per mission.

Another test that must be done is to join and exit missions without sinking anything or "buying" anything, and just observe the results, that could give us a good idea if it works with renown. If it really works with renown, just by your test results we can see the system is working in a strange way. In that case my 2nd solution would probably slow down the award process. Once the 2nd solution is implemented, test again with "join & exit" and observe if there is a change.

Dominicrigg
09-28-2005, 04:33 PM
My list was with original values in the game.

I have not had time to change anything and test it and was out tonight watching Liverpool V chelski in the chumpions league. I will give it a go tommorow night if i get a chance, see how it works!

Takes a lot of time to test them through though http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_redface.gif

rick_475
10-01-2005, 12:56 PM
Dominicrigg,

After starting a new career I tested the first solution, which is changing the numbers as tonnage. I choose this modification :

MedalScore2=80000; knight, SCORE
MedalScore3=150000; oak leaves, SCORE
MedalScore4=220000;swords, SCORE
MedalScore5=275000;diamonds, SCORE
MedalScore6=420000;all, SCORE

Let me show you my results.

After 2 patrols (Kiel, 1939) :

- +/- 1775 renown (I bought a lot of petty officers)
- I have a total of 8480 tons
- I am awarded with the U-boat front clasp

After 3 patrols :

- +/- 2600 renown
- my tonnage total is now 12 800
- No award

After 4 patrols :

- +/- 3280 renown
- My tonnage is still 12 800
- I am awarded with the German cross in gold

After 5 patrols :

- +/- 4400 renown
- After sinking 2 cargo ships my grand total is now 27 181
- I am awarded with the U-Boat badge and The Iron Cross 2nd Class

In conclusion, I am positive that the award system works with tonnage. After getting more than 15000 I was awarded the Iron Cross 2nd Class (MedalScore0=15000;2 class, SCORE). It's true that i'm rushing to conclusion here, but after some more testing I think we will have a very good idea. While testing you must also be aware of the total vs awards. Per exemple if you start a career in 1942 and you sink an entire convoy on your first patrol (>50 000 tons) and sink nothing on the 2nd patrol, you'll probably get the Iron cross 1st class after the 2nd patrol, because 2 conditions where met on the 1st patrol.

(>50 000 tons) > 15000 + 35000

Knowing that, don't be surprise if you get 2 awards in a row if you sink 100k. There is still some things to figure out for me, where to change the values for the u-boat badge / u-boat front clasp / german cross and what's the meaning of :

MedalSettings0=0.25
MedalSettings1=0.5
MedalSettings2=1

Maybe they can also affect the award system in a strange way, who knows. For now, solution #1 seems to work pretty good.

Dominicrigg
10-01-2005, 02:32 PM
That sounds cool to me. Those amounts you have set there seem to suit my sort of scores too, im not that high a scorer tonnage wise as you can see from the ones i printed here. More realistic tonnage, so that makes the top awards pretty **** hard to get!!

I will put them in and test them out. As for the other awards i think that they are mission based, ie, after you do so many missions you get them. Thats what it seems like to me. I think the medal settings thing is a multiplier, maybe which was going to be used as a difficulty setting, but they never got round to using it.

So on medal settings .25 it would only take a quarter of the tonnage to get the medals, on setting one it would take half normal amounts and setting 2 is normal amount. I can find no corresponding settings for these though.

Thanks for your time, I will now start a new carreer with these and let you know how it feels, then we can fine tune it and i will put it up on my website when its polished (of course with credit going to you of course!)

rick_475
10-01-2005, 10:17 PM
Dominicrigg,

I got some news about the award system, looks like I partially figured it out. There's a small problem with the way numbers add up. The first number is right, but after a few patrols I didn't get the Iron Cross 1st Class (with 35 090 tons). Later on I got the 1st Class at 51 000. So if you want the 2nd award at 35 000 tons, you have to write :

MedalScore1=20000;1 class, SCORE

(15000 + 20000 = 35000)

Instead of :

(15000 + 35000 = 50000)

So unless all this is just a weird coincidence, I guess I'm on the right track.

However there's still another thing to figure out. How the score is going to work for the 3rd award? Is it going to be :

MedalScore2=45000; knight, SCORE

(15000 + 20000 + 45000 = 80000)

Or

MedalScore2=65000; knight, SCORE

(65000 + 15000 = 80000)

The 3rd award remains to be tested. Once it's done, we'll figure out the rest.

PS. I visited your website, nicely done. In case you don't know this link, you should check it out. http://www.elknet.pl/acestory/aces.htm

Dominicrigg
10-03-2005, 06:57 AM
Nice website http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

After a hectic weekend im hoping to start a new career tonight. Im going to put in your values and then just play normally. I dont have time to test really, and i think playing normally is the best way to test it! I will write down all the results and get back here.

Ps my guess is that it will be all of them added together, not just the first and last values in the list. At least that would make more sense anyway!

In fact its definatly this way, as after 6 patrols i had around 132,000 tons byt the time i had all the medals, and you need 109,000 with the original settings to get all the medals.

So with that info im going to use these values :

MedalScore0=20000;2 class,
MedalScore1=35000;1 class,
MedalScore2=30000; knight,
MedalScore3=50000; oak leaves,
MedalScore4=60000;swords,
MedalScore5=100000;diamonds,
MedalScore6=140000;all,

This means you will need 85,000 to get a Knights cross, and 135,000 to get leaves for it.

For all the medals you will need 435,000. Lol which i have never got near. It should make it a challenge and i would have to survive and stay sailing for the whole war.

Medals should start come quite quick at first with this settings, and then slower as the war progresses. With the last 2 being very hard to get. Thats what im hoping anyway!

rick_475
10-03-2005, 08:24 AM
I was able to test the oak leaves on Sunday, and I got a little surprise.

I had 110k as my total and I was quitting and joining the game again and again to test new values (the new values will be ignored if you don't restart the game).

I found out that it took the total of MedalScore1 + MedalScore2 + MedalScore3 (oak leaves), ignoring the MedalScore0. Also I couldn't get the Medal if I set the award to >= 105k with my total of 110k. My guess is that there's another variation to take into consideration and I don't know what it is (maybe this new variation will also increase with the following awards).

My wild guess : level of realism 94% round up to 95% * 110k = result round up to 105k.

Anyway that's close enough for me. For the 5th award I guess it's going to work just like the 4th : MedalScore2 + MedalScore3 + MedalScore4 (and possibly a variation to take into consideration).

I'll continue to monitor the results as I play normally, with a few tweaking along the way this new system should satisfy our hunger for realism.