PDA

View Full Version : A little OT: What are GART drivers ?

rijnton1944
01-15-2005, 07:46 AM
The other day I have been busy reinstalling everything on my wife's pc, because it was getting very slow. I also downloaded the latest drivers for the graphic card, being an Asus Radeon 9600SE. When installing them, besides the display driver I also had the option to install GART drivers. I didn't do it until now, but now I wonder if I should have. However it's not clear to me what they are. Should I install them and why ? I hope someone can explain it in a few words. Thanks in advance.(For what it's worth: The mobo is a MSI 865PE Neo with Intel chipset and Intel P4 cpu)

rijnton1944
01-15-2005, 07:46 AM
The other day I have been busy reinstalling everything on my wife's pc, because it was getting very slow. I also downloaded the latest drivers for the graphic card, being an Asus Radeon 9600SE. When installing them, besides the display driver I also had the option to install GART drivers. I didn't do it until now, but now I wonder if I should have. However it's not clear to me what they are. Should I install them and why ? I hope someone can explain it in a few words. Thanks in advance.(For what it's worth: The mobo is a MSI 865PE Neo with Intel chipset and Intel P4 cpu)

TWISTER1401
01-15-2005, 12:06 PM
Hi,
you must use the GART driver instead of the smartgart driver that comes with the catalyst drivers.

Because that way you can use your AGP port to the max (you can set the agp speed to 8X), with smartgart this isn't the case.

I noticed this after some problems during some games.

Got an Asus P4R800-vm with onboard radeon 9100, but i use an radeon 9800xt card with Catalyst 4.12

clint-ruin
01-15-2005, 04:03 PM
GART drivers control the Graphics Aperture Relocation Table. A little back history on AGP - it was initially - before the 3dfx & Rendition cards were made possible with the advent of Very Cheap RAM, it was seen that the big problem with graphics cards would be finding enough memory to store framebuffer and texture data. AGP was to allow the graphics card access to the main system memory pool and treat the system ram as being on the same allocation section as video ram - ie, the first 4mb would be on the card, the next 28mb used would be in system memory, with the difference being transparent to the game using the memory.

Of course this ended up not being the case [lucky for us], but AGP transfers are still tied into this memory allocation system, even if they don't actually make any great use of it. Just something the computer needs for the card to go through the AGP slot and talk to the rest of the system properly. The GART drivers will basically turn on use of AGP features specific to your motherboard chipset, as opposed to slower or emulated features in the generic driver. You want to install them. Some users will have to bear in mind that while different GART drivers might install OK on their system, there'll usually be one out there that is more stable or more feature complete than others. Any board with a VIA KT133/133A style chipset for instance will usually crash horribly and repeatedly with the latest 4-in-1 drivers from VIAs site and need older drivers from around the time of their motherboards release. Not aware of any similar issues with Intels own chipsets though.

rijnton1944
01-15-2005, 05:00 PM
Thanks, you made it clearer to me. So I will uninstall the drivers already installed, and take the GART drivers instead.