PDA

View Full Version : GJ on that camera movement in the tombs

FrenchGenocide
07-30-2011, 02:32 PM
Fresh outta computer science school, eh?

FrenchGenocide
07-30-2011, 02:32 PM
Fresh outta computer science school, eh?

Furious_Lunatic
08-04-2011, 05:33 AM
Go right ahead, and show them how it's done, then.

D.I.D.
08-05-2011, 08:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Furious_Lunatic:
Go right ahead, and show them how it's done, then. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To be fair, that is the single most irritating thing in the games, most of all because it doesn't make sense. For one thing, in story terms the character should be better than that and secondly, it interrupts the flow unnecessarily. If you have to hear a priest in a chase scene shout his whole "Assassino!" spiel several times in a row because you're trying to figure out where the game wants you to aim (to meet the only jump you could possibly be trying to make), that's a huge error in the dramatic pacing. It's especially irritating for keyboard players.

Most importantly, it can be fixed. Granted, there is sometimes a puzzle to solve in terms of choosing a jump direction but it almost always happens from a completely motionless point in the game: holding a beam or a cliff edge. A good solution would be to have a dragging aiming ring for the leaps, so you could show the game exactly where you're trying to jump. If you didn't make it, that would be your fault and your own bad planning.

AnthonyA85
08-05-2011, 06:12 PM
I actually happen to agree on this.

One of the best (or worst, depending on how you look at it) examples of this is in that church with the floor puzzle. Climb into the Alcove after you activate the south trigger (not sure which it is) and the camera switches to a 75-80 degree angle, with no indication where to go, if i hadn't watched youtube vids before tackling it, i wouldn't have finished it at all. (I really, REALLY hated the timed tombs, the last one with the squid easter egg was the worst platforming level in history)

Furious_Lunatic
08-06-2011, 12:26 AM
I never said I didn't agree.
It's just the way he tries to get his point across that irks me.

I too have been frustrated by it many times, but seeing that program code looks like chinese to me, I'll pu up with it.
I'm confident they'll do a better job in Revelations. They better... :P

D.I.D.
08-06-2011, 04:01 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Furious_Lunatic:
I never said I didn't agree.
It's just the way he tries to get his point across that irks me.

I too have been frustrated by it many times, but seeing that program code looks like chinese to me, I'll pu up with it.
I'm confident they'll do a better job in Revelations. They better... :P </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, I see http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Yeah, I got through it and I completed everything in the games. If they don't fix it in Revelations, I'll cope. I just hope AC3 is different.

I don't want the game to hold my hand or there'd be no fun in those missions at all. If there was a means of aiming jumps, I'd want it to be a way to clarify direction only and not distance (so there should be no confirmation, with the reticle "latching on" or changing colour or anything of that nature, or there'd be no thrill at all).

There's certainly a danger of every aspect of AC's difficulty being scaled down in the pressure to maintain high sales, and I hope they resist that. I love it that I was having to grab a pen and think about some of the harder glyph code puzzles for minutes on end, for example. Even though I have complaints about some aspects of the leaping puzzles, of course there were many more occasions where it was really rewarding to figure out what the designers wanted me to do and these are some of the best parts of the game.

This is by far my favourite game series. I suppose I don't have to worry really - how many games engage the players in historical details about figures such as Mossadegh and Allende? It's in safe hands http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif