PDA

View Full Version : Can the MS Sidewinder stick work with the CH Throttle?

sledgehammer2
01-16-2005, 08:49 AM
Hi folks.

Well, after messing around with the X-45 that I got for Christmas for about a week now I have decided that it won't work for me. I am not knocking this stick because I know that many use it and swear by it, but after figuring out how to program it (sort of) I was still having problems. I never could get the rocker switch to work for the flaps, and I was trying to band it just like the manual said but it never worked right. I read the manual more than once too. I also started having problems with one of the Hat switches refusing to accept commands, either from in-game or from SST. And it was accepting them at first. I don't know if the switch went bad (it was working in Control Panel) or what but I screwed around with it for several days to no avail. I also just got BoE in the mail and haven't even had a chance to get into it because of all of this. Talk about frustrated.

I like the throttle and all its buttons but I started thinking about how smooth my Sidewinder was after using the X-45 stick, so I unplugged the -45 and plugged the Sidewinder back in. Man did it feel good. Well, here is what I have decided to do. I think I will be able to return the -45 to Amazon since it was a gift. I have seen the CH throttle and the posotive things people have said about CH. I agree with that because I have been using a pair of CH pedals since my early CFS2 days. All along I have wished that I could just get a throttle because I have always liked my SW stick. The reason that I didn't pursue the CH throttle before was that it moved on a linear axis and not on a curve, and I thought the curve of the -45 would be more realistic.

I know that many of you use the -45's throttle only and have the stick as a button bay, and that seems like a cool idea, but I want to keep things simple and just get the CH throttle for now and then maybe this summer go ahead and get the CH fighter stick since I have seen a lot of good things about it. If I get the throttle will it work for now with my SW stick?

I just feel like this is the best option for me and it's what I want to do.

sledgehammer2
01-16-2005, 08:49 AM
Hi folks.

Well, after messing around with the X-45 that I got for Christmas for about a week now I have decided that it won't work for me. I am not knocking this stick because I know that many use it and swear by it, but after figuring out how to program it (sort of) I was still having problems. I never could get the rocker switch to work for the flaps, and I was trying to band it just like the manual said but it never worked right. I read the manual more than once too. I also started having problems with one of the Hat switches refusing to accept commands, either from in-game or from SST. And it was accepting them at first. I don't know if the switch went bad (it was working in Control Panel) or what but I screwed around with it for several days to no avail. I also just got BoE in the mail and haven't even had a chance to get into it because of all of this. Talk about frustrated.

I like the throttle and all its buttons but I started thinking about how smooth my Sidewinder was after using the X-45 stick, so I unplugged the -45 and plugged the Sidewinder back in. Man did it feel good. Well, here is what I have decided to do. I think I will be able to return the -45 to Amazon since it was a gift. I have seen the CH throttle and the posotive things people have said about CH. I agree with that because I have been using a pair of CH pedals since my early CFS2 days. All along I have wished that I could just get a throttle because I have always liked my SW stick. The reason that I didn't pursue the CH throttle before was that it moved on a linear axis and not on a curve, and I thought the curve of the -45 would be more realistic.

I know that many of you use the -45's throttle only and have the stick as a button bay, and that seems like a cool idea, but I want to keep things simple and just get the CH throttle for now and then maybe this summer go ahead and get the CH fighter stick since I have seen a lot of good things about it. If I get the throttle will it work for now with my SW stick?

I just feel like this is the best option for me and it's what I want to do.

RevvinUK
01-16-2005, 09:34 AM
I've not tried that combination myself but seen that combination mentioned in other forums. I don't see why it would not work as IL-2/PF recognises more than one input device the only thing you might find is the devices may not list in the order you wish them to, the MS stick may go as device 1 or may end up as device 2 but that would just require you to remap the axis in IL-2 so no big deal.

The good thing about that setup is you could download a profile already created by someone else that may include the Fighterstick and just delete that part from the profile to leave you with the Pro Throttle all mapped out.

kiddknapp59
01-16-2005, 09:53 AM
Did you have the latest software from Saitek? Programming the X45 is really just point and click, unless you are banding an axis; that is more involved. I would bet someone here would be willing to band the rudder axis for you, but you would need to have the latest version of the software. If you are using the software that came with the installation disk you are out of date; both drivers and the programming software. If you could get the throttle working you could use it in combination with the Sidewinder.

kiddknapp59
01-16-2005, 10:08 AM
I think I know what the problem with the POV hat MIGHT be. In the Saitek software if you right click on the field for the POV hat you get the option to use it as: POV, buttons, or mouse. You can also select 4 way or 8 way.
I just banded my rudder to zoom the view in and out; I made three bands, the center being neutral. The other two bands are the delete key and the page down key. Zoom in, zoom out. I did it just to make sure I know what I am doing (I rarely do). I am sure I could have mapped flaps up and down if I wanted to. If you want to keep the X45 we can make this work for you.

Mackane1
01-16-2005, 10:24 AM
I use the MS Sidewinder FF2 with the CH Pro Throttle and they work fine together.

sledgehammer2
01-16-2005, 11:25 AM
Yeah, I made sure I had the latest software and drivers because I got them from the Saitek site. As I said, the purpose of this post was not to slam Saitek... I just reached the limit of my frustration with it. As far as the POV is concerned I was careful to make sure it was set up as a 4 way button so I know that was not the problem. Believe me, I didn't just take a quick stab at this and then give up. I tried to be persistent and do it by the manual, but as it went on I just reached the decision I mentioned above.

kiddknapp59
01-16-2005, 04:03 PM
That's cool, believe me I have had more than my share of trouble with Saitek. I was just hoping we could make it work for you. But the CH solution is a no-brainer; they make top quality stuff. You really can't go wrong.
And it should work, and obviously does for at least one other person. I am using my Logitec Momo wheel pedals for rudder pedals. If I can get away with that almomst anything is possible.