PDA

View Full Version : Video modes

pcelt
10-27-2004, 05:21 PM
As a first-time user of this series and very much a non-tech which is the better video mode to use---Direct X or the Open Glide.
Many thanks

pcelt
10-27-2004, 05:21 PM
As a first-time user of this series and very much a non-tech which is the better video mode to use---Direct X or the Open Glide.
Many thanks

Fritzofn
10-27-2004, 05:25 PM
OpenGL if u want quality
DirectX if u want speed

GonzoX
10-27-2004, 07:12 PM
Speed depends on the card. With most ATI cards, OpenGL is faster.

Best thing to do is to try each one. Only takes a minute to change it but you must exit the game to do it each time.

sarracenia
09-30-2006, 01:04 AM
I am a new user to pacific fighters, I have tried using directx but get a frame flicker every 1/2 second or so, open gl works fine. My machine is p4 1.7/1gb ram/fx5200 card so presumably would benefit from being able to use directx.
Any help and suggestions gratefully received.

FritzGryphon
09-30-2006, 01:10 AM
Try both, and test the FPS of each.

I've used a variety of Nvidia cards in the past, and OpenGL is always better. Directx mode causes weird lighting bugs on the planes for me, too.

IL-2/FB/PF is an OpenGL game. It comes with a Directx wrapper just in case your card needs it.

Just now I tested a track in perfect mode on my 7600GT, and got an average 38FPS with OpenGL, and 24FPS with Directx.

-HH-Quazi
09-30-2006, 01:16 AM
This sim is meant to be run in OpenGL. DX works better for some for some reason. But the vast majority here runs this sim in OpenGL as Oleg intended it to be run.

Texas LongHorn
10-01-2006, 09:08 AM
Quazi is right, the sim was originally written to use GL. The goofy Microsoft DX is a wrapper. Factor in the idea that they change it about every fifteen minutes, you've go a nightmare, that is exactly why Oleg wisely chose OpenGL for the graphics. All the best, LongHorn