PDA

View Full Version : Difficulty settings?

bigsouth1981
12-09-2004, 06:36 PM
Being British I downloaded a battle over britain campaign and it changed all my difficulty settings, where can i find a list of what each particular thing does??, as i cant find my manual?

sorry for asking a dumb question,

Andy

bigsouth1981
12-09-2004, 06:36 PM
Being British I downloaded a battle over britain campaign and it changed all my difficulty settings, where can i find a list of what each particular thing does??, as i cant find my manual?

sorry for asking a dumb question,

Andy

BuzzU
12-09-2004, 07:21 PM
Most of them should be obvious, but you have the manual on the CD if you're not sure.

Tully__
12-09-2004, 08:39 PM
This list was written some time ago for someone completely new to this game series. Please excuse the "recommendations", they were intended to answer part of the original request.

<UL TYPE=SQUARE> <LI> Seperate engine start - no effect unless you're flying multiple engined aircraft. If you're flying twin or four engined aircraft you'll have to select and start each engine individually if you're starting the mission at takeoff.
<LI> Complex engine management - enables the "advanced engine management" features: supercharger control, mixture control and propellor pitch/governor RPM. Even with this on you can set & forget in most aircraft without much penalty in performance, except those that aren't equipped with automatic mixture control and supercharger switching you have to watch your altitude.
<LI> Engine Overheat - If it's off your engine will never overheat. Leave it on, you learn more quickly to manage your energy state if you can't leave the throttle firewalled all day.
<LI> Torque & Gyro effects - while this makes some difference to take-off and a bit to shooting accuracy, I don't think it makes any difference to flying difficulty. Leave it on.
<LI> Flutter Effect - To do with control surface response in turbulence/at high speed?? Leave it on, it doesn't make a big difference.
<LI> Wind & Turbulence - With this on you'll get low altitude turbulence (affecting shooting accuracy in ground attack and low altitude fights) in all but the best of weather, and you'll get nasty crosswinds on takeoff & landing in really foul weather. Your choice on this one, but remember if you turn it on takeoffs & landings are going to be extremely challenging in foul weather.
<LI> Stalls & spins - I recommend leaving this on. While stalls & spins are frustrating at first, not having to deal with them leads to some very bad flying habits and I believe it's easier to learn not to stall & spin in the first place than it is to unlearn the bad habits later on.
<LI> Vulnerability - Turn it off and you can't be killed by weapons. You can still crash though. Good for gunnery practice in quick missions, but kinda boring in a campaign.
<LI> Blackouts & redouts - Turning too tightly at speed or pulling out of dives too quickly causes pilots to lose conciousness until the turn is eased off for a few seconds. Turn this off and you won't black out.
<LI> Realistic Gunnery - When off, you bullets don't drop with distance and are four times as effective. Leave it on for the same reason as Stalls & Spins. Leaving it off develops bad habits that are harder to unlearn than learning to do it right first time.
<LI> Limited Ammo - Off, never run out of ammo. In general it's your choice, but for a few of the aircraft capable of carrying bombs it's a nuisance. For instance on the Stuka, the wing bombs are released first followed by the centreline bomb, but with unlimited ammo you never run out of wing bombs so you can't use the centreline bomb.
<LI> Limited fuel - Turn it off, never run out of fuel. Your choice, but remember that aircraft perform better when carrying less weight, and full fuel tanks weigh more than almost empty ones.
<LI> Cockpit always on - When turned on, the "No Cockpit View" control (Ctrl-F1, also known as "Wonder Woman view") doesn't work. It doesn't affect how the plane flies at all, but can make a huge difference to the ease with which you spot enemy aircraft. Your choice intially, but some find it helps in avoiding disorientation if you leave the cockpit on.
<LI> No External Views - When on, you can't view your aircraft from the external view (F2) or other aircraft (Shift-F2 & Ctrl-F2). Also the external padlock controls wont work when it's on (F6, Shift-F6, F7, Shift-F7). Your choice, it doesn't affect flight at all.
<LI> Head Shake - When on your head moves around a bit when the guns fire or the aircraft flies in turbulence. Leave it on, it's disconcerting at first but you get used to it so quick it's not worth the worry.
<LI> No Icons - When on, no icons are displayed. I'd suggest leaving it off at first. There's a control you can assign in the controls screen to toggle icons on and off during a mission if this setting is off, so you can turn off icons if you find them annoying. It does have one other effect though... when on, padlock (F4) and padlock friendly (Shift-F4) will not distinguish between friendly and enemny aircraft. You will have to identify aircraft yourself before deciding whether to shoot or not.
<LI> No Padlock - When on, padlock and padlock friendly wont work (F4 & Shift-F4). Your choice.
<LI> Clouds - When off there'll be no clouds in missions. If you're flying only offline, leave it off. The computer controlled aircraft can see through clouds.
<LI> No Instant Success - When on, you must achieve the goals set in campaign missions in order to proceed to the next mission. In my opinion this is not realistic and I'd suggest leaving it off. This way you can advance to the next campaign mission provided you survive and you're not captured, which is more like reality.
<LI> Takeoff & Landing - When off, all missions start in the air and you don't have to land to achieve mission success. I'd suggest leaving it on, but if your computer time is limited missions are quicker with it off.
<LI> Realistic Landings - When off, you'll bounce rather than crash if you mess up a landing. Leave it
<LI> No Map Icons €" When off, all friendly and enemy air & ground units show on the in flight map.
<LI> No Minimap Path €" When on, your own aircraft position (the white aircraft icon) and course waypoints will not show on the inflight map. Make sure you take notes during the briefing http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.
<LI> No Speedbar €" Turns off the red speed and altitude numbers in the lower left corner of the screen (heading too for versions prior to PF). If you wish to get rid of the heading in PF, you€ll also have to assign the €œToggle Speedbar€ control in the controls screen and use that in mission.[/list]