PDA

View Full Version : Remember 1942 Pacific Air War?...well read on

XyZspineZyX
10-02-2003, 11:13 AM
What's this ancient sim got to do with FB I hear you ask? Well... apart from being a sim which was excellent in its day (as much as FB is in ours)i t had an interesting feature which did away with the unrealistic need (dare I say it) for either aeroplane labels or padlocking.
It did this (yes, you guessed it) by making differnt nationality planes different colours when they were beyond visual recognition range : ie: the Japanese where light grey, the Yankee doodles a light blue.
Now this simple idea could travel a long way... so much so that I don't know why it hasn't been implemented on a more modern sim. Just think, no need to switch on labels or use padlocking to see who is who. Just a subtle colour difference would add so much to the sense of immersion and situational awareness. But I suppose I'll put this in the bottom of the wish bucket....
By the way this is a great sim, I don't know why so many people choose to whinge and whine, maybe they should be made to play space invaders for a few weeks until they realise how lucky they are...

S! in memory ofPAW, EAW
Headwax

XyZspineZyX
10-02-2003, 11:13 AM
What's this ancient sim got to do with FB I hear you ask? Well... apart from being a sim which was excellent in its day (as much as FB is in ours)i t had an interesting feature which did away with the unrealistic need (dare I say it) for either aeroplane labels or padlocking.
It did this (yes, you guessed it) by making differnt nationality planes different colours when they were beyond visual recognition range : ie: the Japanese where light grey, the Yankee doodles a light blue.
Now this simple idea could travel a long way... so much so that I don't know why it hasn't been implemented on a more modern sim. Just think, no need to switch on labels or use padlocking to see who is who. Just a subtle colour difference would add so much to the sense of immersion and situational awareness. But I suppose I'll put this in the bottom of the wish bucket....
By the way this is a great sim, I don't know why so many people choose to whinge and whine, maybe they should be made to play space invaders for a few weeks until they realise how lucky they are...

S! in memory ofPAW, EAW
Headwax

XyZspineZyX
10-02-2003, 09:03 PM
I agree with you: a different colour, and slightly more brilliant than normal, would make sense since the optic resolution in a monitor is much lower than in real. Very good idea.

XyZspineZyX
10-02-2003, 11:52 PM
be nice
my dad would like a mode to lock onto your aircraft, like your flying a model
ie a static camera that tracks your plane /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
10-03-2003, 03:10 AM
That was a nice feature in its day but it is obsolete now. Most people play on 800x600 or greater and so such a feature is no longer needed. At long range you can't tell a difference between plane types, but no real pilot could see a difference between a Yak 9 and a Bf 109 from 10km away. I say keep it as it is, more realistic this way. And you do have the option to turn on icons if you want to know what side everyone is on at all ranges.

<center>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I/JG1 Oesau (http://jg1-oesau.org) is recruiting. Join us!

Stab.I/JG1Death at HL, Maj_Death at Ubi.com

At the start of WW2 the German army lacked experienced anti-aircraft gunners. The average gunner was so bad that the USSR decided to help them out. They did it by forcing some of their pilots to fly I-153 flak magnets. These planes were slow but very sturdy. This allowed German anti-aircraft gunners to get a large amount of target practice on a relatively small number of planes. Thanks to the Soviets help, by the end of the war the German anti-aircraft gunners were amoung the best in the world.</center>