PDA

View Full Version : Some corrections I would like to see in the Campaign game

MoritzJGOne
01-07-2005, 03:52 PM
There have been some comments on the Campaign Game, I would like to throw in some observations and thoughts on how to improve it.

I flew a Val in the Battle of the Coral Sea. Unfortunately, I could not pick a carrier that was actually in the battle. The name generated was Kaga, the aircraft skin was for the Soryu and the vessel was a Shokaku/Zuikaku type.

I would like to be able to edit this portion of the game. In Red Baron 3D this was in hex code and that was easy to crack and modify the game.

One area of weakness is that many famous squadrons cannot be included as their ship is not in the game.

Fixes to make:

1. Add/Edit the names of the various ships that were actually in a battle. We may never see all of the models but we should see representative ships in the name slots for all vessels. For example: Use the Akagi model for Kaga, Shinano, Taiho, Junyo and Haiyo and the Shokaku model for all others. (Hopefully, we will see a proper Kaga, Hiryu and Soryu someday!)

2. Class vessels, e.g. Essex carriers. We should have at least the deck skins to work with so that Essex and her sisters be represented in Name and Number.

3. I understand that the Yorktown model was made. I think you can include it. I spent many hours on-line at the US Patents and Trademarks website and I reviewed all of the trademarks for WWII items filed by US contractors (Just about all within the last 10 years). The only ship name filed is 'Enterprise' as respects to model ships but does not include computer generated graphics. Also, it does not specify if they mean CV-5 or the nuclear CVN-65. I think all three Yorktowns could be added and I would use the image for the Wasp, as it only appears briefly.

4. Correct skins for the particular carrier or squadron. I downloaded very nice Val skins in hte correct grey tan green color from IL-2skins.com for the Shokaku (The off-white is incorrect but held out as gospel for decades)that did not have the aircraft ID only the carrier id. (EI, for 5th carrier division (E) first carrier(I,)(Shokaku), and the Shokaku's white stripes.) The game did a wonderful job of applying individual aircraft numbers on the tail. So mine correctly read EI-207. I would have been real neat to have the correct ship's name and edit all of the ship's planes to the right skin.

So these are my thoughts.

MoritzJGOne
01-07-2005, 03:52 PM
There have been some comments on the Campaign Game, I would like to throw in some observations and thoughts on how to improve it.

I flew a Val in the Battle of the Coral Sea. Unfortunately, I could not pick a carrier that was actually in the battle. The name generated was Kaga, the aircraft skin was for the Soryu and the vessel was a Shokaku/Zuikaku type.

I would like to be able to edit this portion of the game. In Red Baron 3D this was in hex code and that was easy to crack and modify the game.

One area of weakness is that many famous squadrons cannot be included as their ship is not in the game.

Fixes to make:

1. Add/Edit the names of the various ships that were actually in a battle. We may never see all of the models but we should see representative ships in the name slots for all vessels. For example: Use the Akagi model for Kaga, Shinano, Taiho, Junyo and Haiyo and the Shokaku model for all others. (Hopefully, we will see a proper Kaga, Hiryu and Soryu someday!)

2. Class vessels, e.g. Essex carriers. We should have at least the deck skins to work with so that Essex and her sisters be represented in Name and Number.

3. I understand that the Yorktown model was made. I think you can include it. I spent many hours on-line at the US Patents and Trademarks website and I reviewed all of the trademarks for WWII items filed by US contractors (Just about all within the last 10 years). The only ship name filed is 'Enterprise' as respects to model ships but does not include computer generated graphics. Also, it does not specify if they mean CV-5 or the nuclear CVN-65. I think all three Yorktowns could be added and I would use the image for the Wasp, as it only appears briefly.

4. Correct skins for the particular carrier or squadron. I downloaded very nice Val skins in hte correct grey tan green color from IL-2skins.com for the Shokaku (The off-white is incorrect but held out as gospel for decades)that did not have the aircraft ID only the carrier id. (EI, for 5th carrier division (E) first carrier(I,)(Shokaku), and the Shokaku's white stripes.) The game did a wonderful job of applying individual aircraft numbers on the tail. So mine correctly read EI-207. I would have been real neat to have the correct ship's name and edit all of the ship's planes to the right skin.

So these are my thoughts.

Blackdog5555
01-07-2005, 06:05 PM
The same problem occurs when u pick the USN bomber coral sea battle. The Campaign generates the Essex or Enterprise or others but not the Lex or Yorktown. The Lex is in the coral Sea as AI but so is the Saratoga which was in repairs during Coral Sea and Midway. These are simple fixes for the developer. But i agree with all your suggestions. of course. Im sure the developer is somewhat aware...Im keeping my fingers crossed. without torpedo bombers (Avengers).. you really cant do coral sea properly either. I appreciate your feeling and need for historical correctness.

magicmcslope
01-09-2005, 03:00 PM
This can be corrected in the FMB
In campaign mode start the campaign and read the mission briefing. then exit. Go to FMB and load a game . Load from campaign, your country, and select you pilots name. Select the last mission (it will be a number) This will be the mission you started then exited. You can now change any of the paremeters . eg click on the carrier and change it via objects to what you want. I regularily change the type of aircraft assigned to me in the campaign. Also if your aircraft flies into the ground (beaufighter campaign) you can change the height.
Save the change you made, and exit FMB
Go back to campaign mode, and you'll now find you have the desired ship,plane , height.
The campaign continues on, but you will have to change the ship/plane type as above for each mission.
Hope this helps