PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else holding out till a download fix?

falling-bird
05-12-2006, 12:27 PM
I€ve got 10 burning a hole through my credit card, and I'd love to give it to Ubi and Maddox for the PE-2/ v4.05, but I€m very uncomfortable about downloading something which may potentially take a long time to install properly.

I know that there are very detailed instructions on how to download and install, and those who have worked all that out and posted it have done excellent work and deserve our thanks, but I€m really not that confident about following these processes. While there is a possibility of a fix to the download by Ubi, as hinted at by Monkeyhat, I€m, while not exactly happy to wait, hanging on till that materialises.

To be honest I don€t really care if the download installs Boontybox or whatever, I would just like something which a computer novice like me can install fairly painlessly like every other patch we€ve had so far.

Anyone else feel the same?

Are you listening Monkeyhat/Ubi?

falling-bird
05-12-2006, 12:27 PM
I€ve got 10 burning a hole through my credit card, and I'd love to give it to Ubi and Maddox for the PE-2/ v4.05, but I€m very uncomfortable about downloading something which may potentially take a long time to install properly.

I know that there are very detailed instructions on how to download and install, and those who have worked all that out and posted it have done excellent work and deserve our thanks, but I€m really not that confident about following these processes. While there is a possibility of a fix to the download by Ubi, as hinted at by Monkeyhat, I€m, while not exactly happy to wait, hanging on till that materialises.

To be honest I don€t really care if the download installs Boontybox or whatever, I would just like something which a computer novice like me can install fairly painlessly like every other patch we€ve had so far.

Anyone else feel the same?

Are you listening Monkeyhat/Ubi?

BH-21
05-12-2006, 12:39 PM
Yes, but for other reasons.

BrewsterPilot
05-12-2006, 12:44 PM
Ubi really has screwed up. They're loosing thousands of customers to pirated versions (I know many who got the addon pirated thanks to Boontyproblems. . . One of them exceptionally well. . .) http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blush.gif

russ.nl
05-12-2006, 01:04 PM
I'm waiting for cd release. And I'm not pirating

AWL_Spinner
05-12-2006, 01:15 PM
Well, I was aiming to hold out until all three were out and then pick up whatever combined package was available to save the hassle but... I weakened. Primarily because a) everything that could go wrong had already been experienced by others, and exceptionally well documented and b) I wanted the new toys!

Honestly, from start to finish the whole installation including download and boonty removal took less than 30 minutes. Luthier's installation guide pretty much covers all of it and if you're not comfortable with the more tecchy bits - don't worry, they're not essential.

Uninstalling Boonty through the normal Windows ad/remove programs and replacing the game .exes with the 4.04m ones is all you really need do - whilst you can take additional clean up actions if you're confident of the process, they're not essential; Boonty is neutered by those two steps and the memory issues relating to it removed.

I've got a couple of related bits in my sig now, including the file list for building your own boontyless patch after installation for future reference. You only have to go through the pain once.

If it was possible to distribute the boontyless patch in exchange for a proof of purchase without incurring the wrath of the mods I would, but I'm sure that's not going to happen any time soon! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

georgeo76
05-12-2006, 01:18 PM
Well thieves are going to steal. If they had any honor they could still pay for the add-on even if they choose not to download it through Boonty. Or if they are serious about their opposition to boonty they could not buy or play. But we all know it's just an excuse to get something for nothing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BrewsterPilot:
Ubi really has screwed up. They're loosing thousands of customers to pirated versions (I know many who got the addon pirated thanks to Boontyproblems. . . One of them exceptionally well. . .) http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blush.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

tHeBaLrOgRoCkS
05-12-2006, 01:29 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Well, I, uh, don't think it's quite fair to condemn a whole program because of a single slip-up, sir </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats my take on it http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

carguy_
05-12-2006, 01:31 PM
I`m currently saving money for it.Although I aint got no c/c,everyone else from my family has heheh

ucanfly
05-12-2006, 01:34 PM
Currently waiting for CD , however an AI fix may push up the schedule.

Jungmann
05-12-2006, 01:47 PM
In no particular hurry.

Cheers.

DmdSeeker
05-12-2006, 01:48 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by georgeo76:
But we all know it's just an excuse to get something for nothing.
[QUOTE]

That's the same arrogance Taggert has been spouting. Arogant; misinformed and plain wrong.

I wonder if it's the same foolish attitude that holding back Ubi from any real attempt to fix the very real problems some people are having.

The simple fact is that the present download does not work satisfactorily for the majority of people. Yes; it can be fixed; and to some people it's quite a simple fix; but to admit to the fix is to admit that it's broken in the first place.

You do nobody any favours by dissing other people in this way.

Skyfoxx1
05-12-2006, 01:52 PM
Waiting for UBI to fix the problem. Starting to get the feeling that may be quiet a while. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Von_Rat
05-12-2006, 01:53 PM
Well, I, uh, don't think it's quite fair to condemn a whole program because of a single slip-up, sir.

this is what the guy who designed bootny box was telling his boss the day after pe2 was released.

mrsiCkstar
05-12-2006, 02:00 PM
I was gonna wait for a new unboontified version of the download, but I don't think that'll happen.

also most of my favorite servers on HL have gone 4.05 already and I miss flying in them.

Thus I'll probably get the patch this Monday http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

georgeo76
05-12-2006, 02:05 PM
Don't try to convince me. My mind is pretty made up on the issue. If your playing 4.05 and you didn't pay for it: your a thief. As to the particulars of what made you a thief or why you think thievery is OK, I'm not interested.

I am aware that people are having problems. Although I doubt it's a majority. In any case, none of it justifies theft. It's a moral issue and I'm inflexible.

And as far as 'dissing' other people: I'm not sorry if my pointing out my views on theft shames someone or hurts their feelings. But I guess that's me being 'arrogant'.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DmdSeeker:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by georgeo76:
But we all know it's just an excuse to get something for nothing.
[QUOTE]

That's the same arrogance Taggert has been spouting. Arogant; misinformed and plain wrong.

I wonder if it's the same foolish attitude that holding back Ubi from any real attempt to fix the very real problems some people are having.

The simple fact is that the present download does not work satisfactorily for the majority of people. Yes; it can be fixed; and to some people it's quite a simple fix; but to admit to the fix is to admit that it's broken in the first place.

You do nobody any favours by dissing other people in this way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

bhunter2112
05-12-2006, 02:17 PM
calmly waiting for all three on a DVD/CD. If not I will just wait for BOB.

jasonbirder
05-12-2006, 02:21 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> That's the same arrogance Taggert has been spouting. Arogant; misinformed and plain wrong </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've got to say i'm with Georgeo76 on this one...I bought mine, if you've got it without paying for it...you're a thief pure and simple...
The download manager is no excuse whatsoever...
It doesn't do anything significant on your PC and if you don't want it there its easy enough to remove...and the truth is if you feel that strongly about it don't buy it no ones forcing you to acquire it!
There can be no justification whatsoever for acquiring it without paying...period

goshikisen
05-12-2006, 02:35 PM
I don't know what's worse... to steal the program or to steal the program and then come on here and tell people that you stole it.

steve_v
05-12-2006, 02:48 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by goshikisen:
I don't know what's worse... to steal the program or to steal the program and then come on here and tell people that you stole it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I know, and to those who want to come and tell, it will be your last Ubi posting.

http://home.earthlink.net/~viner45/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/penguin.jpg

justflyin
05-12-2006, 02:59 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bhunter2112:
...I will just wait for BOB. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+1

ajpreto
05-12-2006, 03:00 PM
Thanks Spinner for the files and refs.

However, there is something that is bothering me. The 4.05 add-on is different of the previuos patches in terms of registry modifications.

The XP registry contains info concerning FB+AEP+PF v3.00, the patches did not add any info about v3.01 up to 4.04.

The installation of the add-on modifies the registry adding info about v4.05.

If we install an "unbootified" exe, the registry must be modified manually in order to record this info. Otherwise, I believe we will have problems to install the next add-ons (4.06 and 4.07).

Thanks,

Airam.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AWL_Spinner:
Well, I was aiming to hold out until all three were out and then pick up whatever combined package was available to save the hassle but... I weakened. Primarily because a) everything that could go wrong had already been experienced by others, and exceptionally well documented and b) I wanted the new toys!

Honestly, from start to finish the whole installation including download and boonty removal took less than 30 minutes. Luthier's installation guide pretty much covers all of it and if you're not comfortable with the more tecchy bits - don't worry, they're not essential.

Uninstalling Boonty through the normal Windows ad/remove programs and replacing the game .exes with the 4.04m ones is all you really need do - whilst you can take additional clean up actions if you're confident of the process, they're not essential; Boonty is neutered by those two steps and the memory issues relating to it removed.

I've got a couple of related bits in my sig now, including the file list for building your own boontyless patch after installation for future reference. You only have to go through the pain once.

If it was possible to distribute the boontyless patch in exchange for a proof of purchase without incurring the wrath of the mods I would, but I'm sure that's not going to happen any time soon! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

BrewsterPilot
05-12-2006, 03:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by steve_v:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by goshikisen:
I don't know what's worse... to steal the program or to steal the program and then come on here and tell people that you stole it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I know, and to those who want to come and tell, it will be your last Ubi posting.

http://home.earthlink.net/~viner45/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/penguin.jpg </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Excuse me sir, I think you forgot to ban me! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

Don't let that happen again! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

Old_Canuck
05-12-2006, 03:14 PM
I might have to reformat. If that happens, I will let Ubi keep the money for Pe2 so Oleg can get some of the support he was screwed out of by Ubi's incompetence - then I'll wait for BoB.

steve_v
05-12-2006, 03:17 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BrewsterPilot:
Excuse me sir, I think you forgot to ban me! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

Don't let that happen again! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Keep trolling on this thread and you'll get your wish. You're halfway there with the BS on the people you know who stole Pe-2. This time it will be longer than a week. A word to the wise.

BrewsterPilot
05-12-2006, 03:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Keep trolling on this thread and you'll get your wish. You're halfway there with the BS on the people you know who stole Pe-2. This time it will be longer than a week. A word to the wise. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/1072.gif

tHeBaLrOgRoCkS
05-12-2006, 04:06 PM
I don't get what all you bloody moaning minnies are getting your knickers in a twist over.

The fix is already out and was provided for you by members of the very same community that gave you some of the aircraft you now fly with out qualms or quibles.

Purchase and Download the patch apply the fix that is perfectly well documented to the point that Steves penguin could apply it and your off.

On top of that if you follow the instructions further you will never have to mess around with boonty again no matter how many times you have to re-install it.

Strikes me you all installed every other bloody patch that was free (and in some cases just as 'complicated' to install) with out problem and with out bleating on about how it wasn't on a disk or priced in venutian groats.

Is this all down to wording? Just because they call it an addon and not a patch its somehow necessary that Oleg provide you with a disk? You know the reason that its not provided as a disk and that subject has been discussed adnuaseum.

Fact is in a couple of month's we will all be using it and it won't be because Oleg blew more of the budget providing a few tin hatters outside of the former soviet union with a disk! Your bloody flight simulator buffs ffs complicated is the kind of thing that is supposed to give you guys a woodie, have you gone frakking soft or something?

Those of you that still have problems with the install will get all the help you need right here if you ask!

DmdSeeker
05-12-2006, 06:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by georgeo76:
. But I guess that's me being 'arrogant'.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dam right it is skippy.

Of course you're correct in your statement that if some one's playing 4.05 without paying for it it's theft; but where do you get on your high horse calling every one in this thread a thief when this thread is about (and I'll quote the title again just for you):"Anyone else holding out till a download fix?"

Which part of "holding out for a fix" don't you understand?

How; in your mind, does "holding out for a fix" translate to "I stole it; I'm unapolagetic and I don't care"?

Just where do your views on morality have any bearing on "holding out for a fix"?

Capiche now?

tHeBaLrOgRoCkS
05-12-2006, 07:10 PM
I dont think he accused anyone in particular he was just making a general statement. But if you want to fight about it don't let me stop you I will be over here laughing my arse off

horseback
05-12-2006, 08:40 PM
To get this thread back on track, I too am waiting for a better method of obtaining the expansion. A disk or a less intrusive or more clearly explained means of purchasing & downloading would be preferable to what is currently offered.

Since the current expansion doesn't include a fix for the obnoxiously bad 4.04 ai, it isn't an imperative for me at this time.

So, if we are stuck with Boonty Box for all time with this series, then I'll wait until the last 'expansion' becomes available, get them all at once, install, and then de-Boonty just the once.

I have the money, the skills and the time to do it now, but the autocratic attitudes (from Ubi and "Get it now, you big sissies, or we might not be able to get the rest of the add-ons" crowd) are just rubbing me the wrong way.

I'll wait. Maybe we can still teach this pig to fly.

cheers

horseback

tHeBaLrOgRoCkS
05-12-2006, 09:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"Get it now, you big sissies, or we might not be able to get the rest of the add-ons" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That just sounds like hysteria to me, nobody is trying to force anyone to get this update to my knowledge. Hell it wouldnt be available at all to most of us if some folk hadn't cried foul when it was sugested that it only be made available to the russian market, perhaps that would have been better?

A lot of the initial problems with boonty could have been avoided quite easily if people were'nt pre conditioned to simply click 'next,next,next' something we have all fallen for at one time or another. The other problems whilst unfortunate have been worked out by the community and a little dilligent forum hunting will provide most with the necessary steps for a safe install.

I sympathise with the no credit card brigade but again that can be worked round.

Bottom line for most of the complaints is the guys that run the servers have fallen into step and perhaps its them that need to be moaned at for updating before the have nots have had a chance to have a say ? Still that is their choice isn't it?

Those of you from the offline side of things as you say have not realy missed out on something that will, perhaps, eventually be made available in a 'ultimate' forgotten battles package at the end of the series?

As I said before give this a month, no two weeks, and we will see how many are still complaining.

I would say its even money

AWL_Spinner
05-13-2006, 01:33 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
However, there is something that is bothering me. The 4.05 add-on is different of the previuos patches in terms of registry modifications.

The XP registry contains info concerning FB+AEP+PF v3.00, the patches did not add any info about v3.01 up to 4.04.

The installation of the add-on modifies the registry adding info about v4.05.

If we install an "unbootified" exe, the registry must be modified manually in order to record this info. Otherwise, I believe we will have problems to install the next add-ons (4.06 and 4.07).
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The game works just fine with the .exes replaced - didn't have to amend the registry entries for FB.

Regarding future addons, your concern is why it's important to backup the Boonty installation download. If worst comes to worst and you need the boonty 4.05m version to verify 4.06 and 4.07, it can be reinstalled at that time.

I WOULD be surprised if it pans out that way. Ubi seem to have been a little taken aback at the annoyance Boonty has caused the community, and as 70% of people here will have legitimately deboontified installations, requiring it be put BACK to get the next addon would seem a little provocative!

We'll see, back everything up and you're covered both ways.

RAAFIL2shark
05-13-2006, 02:34 AM
You bet i am.
The war i am flying in doesnt use PE2s and it will last a while.
Mind you I will be in a PE2 for the next one (I hope).
I wish they hadnt made it a Version change just to add a few flyable planes.
do other Sims do this?
Is it necessary?

Cheers