PDA

View Full Version : A20 Flying tips

skimbo
12-22-2004, 05:46 AM
I love the look of this plane €" pure evil!. Had a quick spin in it last night and I'm hooked!

What I need however are tips from any A20 pilots out there, particularly bombing €" it doesn't appear to have a bombsight or am I pressing the wrong buttons? I'm pretty sure it hasn't got one so I guess its a matter of dropping em' roughly and getting the fook outta dodge. Is this correct http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Also how do you get to the bombsight view on the B25? I swap to bombadier position but can't seem to get the actual sight view up. Tips on using the bombsight properly would also be apprectiated! Manual has no such info.

Hope to hear from someone!

All the best

SKIMBO

skimbo
12-22-2004, 05:46 AM
I love the look of this plane €" pure evil!. Had a quick spin in it last night and I'm hooked!

What I need however are tips from any A20 pilots out there, particularly bombing €" it doesn't appear to have a bombsight or am I pressing the wrong buttons? I'm pretty sure it hasn't got one so I guess its a matter of dropping em' roughly and getting the fook outta dodge. Is this correct http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Also how do you get to the bombsight view on the B25? I swap to bombadier position but can't seem to get the actual sight view up. Tips on using the bombsight properly would also be apprectiated! Manual has no such info.

Hope to hear from someone!

All the best

SKIMBO

The_Great_Stonk
12-22-2004, 05:56 AM
shift f1 when your int he bombardier position.

the a20 has no bomb sight, since its a close air support plane (think a10) and not a high altitude bomber.

WildeSau
12-22-2004, 06:10 AM
you have to drop your bombs withou any bomb sight - it was used as ground attack plane and not from high altitudes as a B-17.

Just go down to the deck and use it as you would throw bombs with a fighter bomber plane like the Corsair or Thunderbolt.

WildeSau

DangerForward
12-22-2004, 09:29 AM
A20-Gs would level bomb, but they did it by taking along a b25 and dropping when the b25 did. Pretty fun to try online...

stansdds
12-22-2004, 04:17 PM
How does the A-20 handle? In CFS 2 you could do rolls in the A-20. Is this realistic? I do not yet have Pacific Fighters, but I have ordered a copy. Of course I also don't have a computer that will run it, but that will eventually change too.

VW-IceFire
12-22-2004, 04:47 PM
A-20 is fairly agile....roll rate is not very good but it turns fairly well and its very fast in a straight line. Hit and run...

Its an excellent close support plane. Its like an IL-2 only faster and much less manuverable. Also, less firepower on guns and more on bombload.

skimbo
12-22-2004, 04:59 PM
Thanks guys. Gonna go play now! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Willey
12-22-2004, 05:13 PM
It lacks bombload. The viewer says it could load 4000lb. PF = 2000lb http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

e2michaelb
12-22-2004, 08:07 PM
What I would like to know is how the h*ll do you spot and aim at ground targets? Unless I turn off the cockpit (which in my house is cheating) I can't see squat through the windshield when I am flying straight and level at altitude. If I get down in the weeds, I am going too fast to identify and line up with targets, unless they are tall buildings in the distance.

p1ngu666
12-22-2004, 08:28 PM
drop as its going under your dashboard http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
is roughly ok

ColoradoBBQ
12-22-2004, 09:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by e2michaelb:
What I would like to know is how the h*ll do you spot and aim at ground targets? Unless I turn off the cockpit (which in my house is cheating) I can't see squat through the windshield when I am flying straight and level at altitude. If I get down in the weeds, I am going too fast to identify and line up with targets, unless they are tall buildings in the distance. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Load up some QMB missions and pratice your bombing. It doesn't take long to get the feel of bombing.

Tully__
12-22-2004, 10:15 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by e2michaelb:
What I would like to know is how the h*ll do you spot and aim at ground targets? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Practice. Once I became accustomed to spotting ground targets, I got to the point where I could target specific vehicles within a convoy or specific guns in an artillery battery. This level of skill is very helpfull when performing AA suppression missions http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

The appearance of ground targets at a distance varies a little depending on the patch version you're using, but at 3-5km you should be looking for otherwise unexplainable pale grey dots in the landscape. It's harder in the Pacific maps where the landscape tends to be fairly pale to begin with, but you can still spot them if you're diligent.

JR_Greenhorn
12-22-2004, 10:38 PM
The A-20G was one of the biggest surprises in PF for me. It's not a plane I payed much attention to before, but I have loved flying it since I first tried it in PF. I'm not much of a ground pounder (although I would like to be), but I've been having pretty good luck strafing with those .50s in the nose.

The most fun I've had yet with the A-20G was versus 4 Hs 129s in the QMB. Those buggers fought me like we were all in fighters.
It was kind of like a viscous turnfight, but in bigger, lazier circles. The best part is when you can get underneath one of them in a turn, and your dorsal gunner takes him down.

No worries though; against fighters the A-20G proves that it is still a ground attack plane.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by stansdds:
How does the A-20 handle? In CFS 2 you could do rolls in the A-20. Is this realistic? I do not yet have Pacific Fighters, but I have ordered a copy. Of course I also don't have a computer that will run it, but that will eventually change too. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>What makes you think your computer won't run it? Is it really bad, like the 700MHz Celeron I'm using presently?
Seriously though, for me, PF runs better than AEP on a P4 1.4G machine with 256MB RAM. Don't know what its got for a card; not likely anything good. Is your computer worse than that?
A bunch of hubub was made over PF being a resource hog, but its no worse than other versions of FB, as long as the graphics are turned down, and you don't try to intercept 300 B-17s over Berlin.

DeerHunterUK
12-23-2004, 05:23 AM
The A-20 is a Beaufighter with rear protection, although the Beaufighter does feels slightly faster.
I love it! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Mundy
12-23-2004, 07:53 AM
Remember...

The A-20 was also used as a night fighter, the P-70.

I love going against AI Bf-110's with the A-20.

DangerForward
12-23-2004, 08:17 AM
The A-20 also used 250 and 500 lb para-demos. Like a para-frag, but bigger and supported by two or more parachutes. Now that would be cool...

JaggedRaven
12-24-2004, 11:21 AM
I had a really fun dogfight against a ki-43 the other night on the pacific islands map...lasted longer than any of my other dogfights. I had four A-20's and we were bounced by 4 ki-43...managed to get two in the first burst in a head on...my wingman finished a third. But MAN!!! That last little bugger was not only determined...but fearless...he kept coming after me in a turning dogfight...we both rapidly lost altitude...we'd withdraw and climb for altitude and wham! there we were again in turning dogfight. My wingmen just followed us around and didn't shoot at him...don't know why...and my dorsal gunner could never quite get a bead on him. What I loved about the A-20 in this fight was the zoom climb...after losing altitude in the turns the thing would leap up to around 500-700 above last position before stalling out (never thought a bomber of any kind from this period could do could do this). It did all this and I was still fully loaded with bombs (I hate to fail a mission, what can I say?). I LOVE THE A-20!

P.S. Yeah...I finally bagged the Ki-43...guess he got bored and went after my wingman...BIG MISTAKE. LOL

icrash
12-24-2004, 02:51 PM
I use mine as a dive bomber, makes for a quick get away when I pull out http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif.

ZG77_Nagual
12-24-2004, 02:58 PM
Beaufighter Vs 8 Zeros (http://webpages.charter.net/cmorey/beaufv0s.zip)

Thar be a track of a beau vs 8 ace zeros http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I discovered this beast online in dual against two I-185s - then against a series of ki84s - one of which was flown by a very good dogfighter. In the beau you just have to plan ahead. She's more agile than the a20 - and faster on the deck - also gets there quick.

JG301_nils
12-24-2004, 03:20 PM
Hiya Skim http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
glad to see you´ve entered the room. Hehe
I too have a soft spot for the A-20. Great plane.
A coop when I get home?
-nils- --hj--

Flydutch
12-24-2004, 07:42 PM
Don't feel frustrated at the difiulty of Ground Attack/Support.
It was like that in real live to!
Often the Ground Attack missions where more dangerous then any other type of mission.

Many top Aces where shot down by Flak!
The Ground forces used atractive targets with hidden AACannons Called "Flaktraps"
The Targets that where defended by Flak Gave A pilot usely A small Chance to return to base unscratched or return at all.
Most Importand Factor the Element off Suprise And ofcourse Preperation. Study the Map carfully Maybe make A Un armed Recon Fast flight first to check the Amount of AA and where they are so you can plot a way throug or around them With your Armed flight.
(Recon, Spying, Gathering Intelingence on your enemy Is probaly the most decive factor for any Mission to suceed. Hence is seriously lacking in this sim)
If the AA Gunners are caught by suprise you Can try to take the serious Flak out in Ordering A special flight with AP (Anti-personel weapons)Rockets or Bombs.
In IL-2 and FB I was Skilled at shooting flak with guns & cannon but in PF you have to Hit the Japanese AA spot on to kill it But the Crewless Guns Certainly Are Able to hit you!
A Strike force would normaly do just one pass on A Defended target in reality A second could get you decorated but these medals would reach you post-houmusly, Normaly!
So dive from Above with speed full throtle, Flaps Up after you strafed the target staying low to the ground triyng to break away from the direction the Flak flys over your canopy! Don't leave in A straight line.
Practice on unarmed targets first!
If there is A mountain Use it to protect your Attack to the last moment Clouds sadly don't help to conceal you in this sim.

Pull Up In time Many real pilots ended Up on their target but it was the last they did! (Becuase of Target fixation or overspeed)

Walk your guns towards your target. Aim rockets higher then your target.
Those crucial seconds wheter you hit something or it hits you are usely decided wheter you stay cool and really concentrate 'This is not A Game....It's A Sim!'