PDA

View Full Version : Can you install individual games from 1946?

arisaka99
02-16-2009, 02:05 PM
Can you install individual games from IL-2 1946?
Such as if I only wanted to install the original IL-2 Sturmovik or Pacific Fighters only could I do that?

arisaka99
02-16-2009, 02:05 PM
Can you install individual games from IL-2 1946?
Such as if I only wanted to install the original IL-2 Sturmovik or Pacific Fighters only could I do that?

DuckyFluff
02-16-2009, 02:15 PM
No.

mortoma
02-16-2009, 02:18 PM
Edit: It's against the ToU to offer that on the forum, send him a PM

Urufu_Shinjiro
02-16-2009, 03:55 PM
No way to install the individual games but all the content from those games are available IN 1946.

Skycat_2
02-16-2009, 06:34 PM
1946 represents a sequential build. Many of the core files of Forgotten Battles simply grew in size as more information was added by expansion packs.

The original IL-2 Sturmovik technically isn't included in 1946. There was a game titled IL-2 Sturmovik and then it was reworked and recoded to become a different game, Forgotten Battles. All of the planes and maps of IL-2 Sturmovik were included in Forgotten Battles, and the two titles share many similarities, but technically you don't get the original IL-2 Sturmovik in 1946. What you get instead is the original campaigns that came with the first game, just updated and officially included after several years of being absent from the Forgotten Battles series.

Bearcat99
02-16-2009, 07:43 PM
Very well said Skycat...........

ElAurens
02-16-2009, 08:48 PM
I'm really curious why you would want to do that anyway?

It's like being able to get a Mercedes at the price of a Kia, but taking the Kia anyway.

Makes no sense.

jamesblonde1979
02-16-2009, 10:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ElAurens:
I'm really curious why you would want to do that anyway?

It's like being able to get a Mercedes at the price of a Kia, but taking the Kia anyway.

Makes no sense. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Could be for LAN compatability???

That's the only reason I can think of.

Freiwillige
02-17-2009, 01:09 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Skycat_2:
1946 represents a sequential build. Many of the core files of Forgotten Battles simply grew in size as more information was added by expansion packs.

The original IL-2 Sturmovik technically isn't included in 1946. There was a game titled IL-2 Sturmovik and then it was reworked and recoded to become a different game, Forgotten Battles. All of the planes and maps of IL-2 Sturmovik were included in Forgotten Battles, and the two titles share many similarities, but technically you don't get the original IL-2 Sturmovik in 1946. What you get instead is the original campaigns that came with the first game, just updated and officially included after several years of being absent from the Forgotten Battles series. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Im gonna have to disagree with your assesment.
Forgotten battles was not a new game, it was IL2 sturmovik with some minor new features but based on the same code. IL2 1946 is the same way, with 90% of its coding and graphics traced back to the original IL2 Sturmovik game. Sure there were new maps and new planes an new features added but they were all added on the Original IL2. FOrgotten battles was not a new game or game engine, Still same as IL2 original.

Bearcat99
02-17-2009, 08:07 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Freiwillige:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Skycat_2:

The original IL-2 Sturmovik technically isn't included in 1946. There was a game titled IL-2 Sturmovik and then it was reworked and recoded to become a different game, Forgotten Battles. All of the planes and maps of IL-2 Sturmovik were included in Forgotten Battles, and the two titles share many similarities, but technically you don't get the original IL-2 Sturmovik in 1946. What you get instead is the original campaigns that came with the first game, just updated and officially included after several years of being absent from the Forgotten Battles series. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Forgotten battles was not a new game, it was IL2 sturmovik with some minor new features but based on the same code. IL2 1946 is the same way, with 90% of its coding and graphics traced back to the original IL2 Sturmovik game. Sure there were new maps and new planes an new features added but they were all added on the Original IL2. FOrgotten battles was not a new game or game engine, Still same as IL2 original. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope.. you are mistaken.. the code in FB was modified to the extent that the two sims were no longer compatible.. the basic core structure of the code was the same.. but the code was as Skycat said reworked and that is why the two sims ae not compatible.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm really curious why you would want to do that anyway?
Makes no sense.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure it does... if a person does not understand the nature of the beast... that's what we are here for... to break it down.

arisake the best way to deal with this sim is to get 1946. If you prefer the pacific theater then you can concentrate there.. but given the price and the features of 1946 there is no real option. At Microcenter.. 1946 is the sae price as PF... Pacific Fighters is contained in 1946.

Choctaw111
02-17-2009, 09:11 AM
As already said in other ways, Il246 represents all of the other previous sims, Il2Sturmovik, Pacific Fighters, etc, combined into a single program that cannot be broken down into smaller playable parts.

KG26_Alpha
02-17-2009, 09:55 AM
This forums getting worse..............

The second post answered the question, then all this crap !!!!!!!!!!!!

No wonder its reps so bad. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Freiwillige
02-17-2009, 10:21 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bearcat99:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Freiwillige:

Forgotten battles was not a new game, it was IL2 sturmovik with some minor new features but based on the same code. IL2 1946 is the same way, with 90% of its coding and graphics traced back to the original IL2 Sturmovik game. Sure there were new maps and new planes an new features added but they were all added on the Original IL2. FOrgotten battles was not a new game or game engine, Still same as IL2 original. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope.. you are mistaken.. the code in FB was modified to the extent that the two sims were no longer compatible.. the basic core structure of the code was the same.. but the code was as Skycat said reworked and that is why the two sims ae not compatible.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm really curious why you would want to do that anyway?
Makes no sense.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure it does... if a person does not understand the nature of the beast... that's what we are here for... to break it down.

arisake the best way to deal with this sim is to get 1946. If you prefer the pacific theater then you can concentrate there.. but given the price and the features of 1946 there is no real option. At Microcenter.. 1946 is the sae price as PF... Pacific Fighters is contained in 1946. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The two sims are not compatible? IL2 the Original is already built into FB! Granted alot of work was done to evolve IL2 to FB standards.
Lets compare the Original IL2 to FB shall we.

Sound engine:Same
Graphics engine:Same
Physics engine:Same
Features of FB compared to IL2:SAME plus more!

Bearcat99
02-17-2009, 11:47 AM
I have.. and they are two different sims all together.. graphically, sound wise... FM wise... FB was built upon IL2... and yes the engine is the same basic engine.. but they are two different sims.. that's why you can take skins from IL2 and use them in FB but not the other way around... That's all I am saying...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">the code in FB was modified to the extent that the two sims were no longer compatible.. the basic core structure of the code was the same.. but the code was as Skycat said reworked and that is why the two sims ae not compatible </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

and between this..
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The original IL-2 Sturmovik technically isn't included in 1946. There was a game titled IL-2 Sturmovik and then it was reworked and recoded to become a different game, Forgotten Battles. All of the planes and maps of IL-2 Sturmovik were included in Forgotten Battles, and the two titles share many similarities, but technically you don't get the original IL-2 Sturmovik in 1946. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

and this...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Im gonna have to disagree with your assesment.

I'd have to go more with the former.. than the latter..

Skycat_2
02-17-2009, 06:31 PM
As you know, you can can 'roll back' to earlier versions of Forgotten Battles/Aces Expansion Pack/Pacific Fighters/'46 simply by putting an older Files.SFS from the FB series into your game folder. This has been a popular trick for staying compatible online as the various expansion packs were released.

Try dropping the Files.SFS from any version of IL-2 Sturmovik into any version of the Forgotten Battles series and see what happens. Then we can argue both the letter and spirit of what I wrote if you wish.

Freiwillige
02-18-2009, 02:59 PM
"I have.. and they are two different sims all together.. graphically, sound wise... FM wise... FB was built upon IL2"-Bearcat99

The archetechture is the same. It is the same graphics engine, Storm of war is the first to use a new graphics engine. It is also the same physics engine! To say that they are two differant games entirely is a stretch. An evolution would be a proper term I think.

Anyways this from the FB website detailing the differances.

Forgotten Battles offers all the gameplay of IL-2 Sturmovik, plus many new additions. These include (but are not limited to):
30 new flyable aircraft (Note:30 new as opposed to all of them being new which implies that they added them onto IL2 Sturmovik)
23 new AI-controlled aircraft
New AI ground objects and vehicles for each new map area, with new 3D building models
Ranking and award system for Finnish and Hungarian pilots
Selectable custom user-made skins in single play mode for players and all AI aircraft
All IL-2 Sturmovik: Forgotten Battles aircraft available in Quick Mission Builder, except seaplanes and gliders
Improved flight dynamics
More realistic AI scripting to create more realistic battles
New engine management relating to radiators, superchargers and fuel mixture control for different altitudes
Online track recorder and editor
A New system of single play track recording and editing
Search lights and barrage balloons (including intercommunication with AA artillery)
New ships including the Russian battleship Marat, Russian cruisers Aurora and Kirov and German cruiser Niobe (but not limited to)
Play up to 32 players online in dogfight and in cooperative modes (depending on your internet connection)
IL-2 Sturmovik and IL-2 Sturmovik: Forgotten Battles are not compatible with each other when playing online

(HERES THE GOOD STUFF!)
IL-2 Sturmovik: Forgotten Battles includes from the original IL-2 Sturmovik game:
All aircraft (including those released for free in add-ons)
All maps

IL-2 Sturmovik: Forgotten Battles does not include from the original IL-2 Sturmovik game:
The single missions
The multiplayer missions
The 3 offline single player campaigns

I think it obvious from this point on.

Skycat_2
02-18-2009, 07:45 PM
Yes, Forgotten Battles was an evolution. Nobody is disputing that.

What I said is that the original IL-2 Sturmovik game technically is not included in the 1946 set. Yes, all the aircraft and vehicles and maps and ships and other bits that one will find in the old IL-2 Sturmovik game should they dust off their CD and install it are included in Forgotten Battles plus. Most of the original cockpits look the same as they did in 2001; many of AI aircraft never changed at all in structure or appearance; all the old trucks and tanks and halftracks and running soldiers still populate the battlefield in all their low poly glory.

But if you are looking for the original IL-2 Sturmovik game on the 1946 DVD you won't find it. You won't find the comparatively limited menus. You won't be able to take a trip down memory lane and enjoy the supposedly better stall characteristics or gunnery sounds or the giant blinding muzzle flashes that some people believe were better in the original game.

Most importantly, you won't find these handsome devils in Forgotten Battles:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v62/Skycat/FB%20Pilots/IL-2_02.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v62/Skycat/FB%20Pilots/IL-2_01.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v62/Skycat/FB%20Pilots/IL-2_03.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v62/Skycat/FB%20Pilots/BloodyMBRa.jpg

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Freiwillige
02-18-2009, 11:03 PM
Are those alpha pre release shots? Or really turned down graphics card? Cause I still own the original and my guys look nothing like that!

WhiteKnight77
02-18-2009, 11:25 PM
It looks like they imported their own faces into the game. I swear one guy looks like a guy I know over on the BFS forums, Swedish-Seb.

Skycat_2
02-19-2009, 12:18 AM
Are those alpha pre release shots? Or really turned down graphics card? Cause I still own the original and my guys look nothing like that! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I made the first three screenshots tonight using the retail version of IL-2 Sturmovik patched fully to 1.2ov. All of the in-game video options are maxed out. The fourth shot is an old one I had in my Photobucket album.

If you have doubts, check out GameSpot's review and screenshot gallery (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/sim/il2sturmovik/review.html).

What do your pilots look like?

woofiedog
02-19-2009, 01:49 AM
arisaka99... Yes... you can have the separate games if you have the "orginal disc's". I have all of the disc's and have a copy of the orginal IL-2 Sturmovik, Forgotten Battles, Forgotten Battles Ace Expansion, Pacific Battles and 46 on my computer. It's long process but you have to start with the first FB install your patches then make a copy of the FB patched place this in a separate folder and start with the next disc FBAE and do the same up the line to PF's and keeping a separate folder for each game of the IL-2 series.

Here is the thread covering the order of installing...

Patch order - entire game series. Make sure you have it right! (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/4721047273)

One of the reasons I enjoy and have a copy the early FB version is that you can place your aircraft any where on a map and make it a take off area. It's pretty cool to taxi your aircaft out from the hanger to the take off point of the airfield instead of just starting at the end of the runway. Also you can use roads and fields for airstrips in FMB missions. This changed over with the FBAE though.

Downloading all of the patches and following the order of the patches for installing them can take a few trys before getting it all correct and a bit of time also! LoL

Almost forgot there are also the PE-2, Manchuria addons for the PF's.

Bearcat99
02-19-2009, 05:56 AM
I still stand by what I said .. yes it is the original engine.. and that game engine is actually from an outer space game made by 1C in the late 90S.. but for FB the engine was modified to the point where while it is the same engine stretched out.. it is NOT compatible with IL2.... and Woofie hit the nail on the head as for your original question..