PDA

View Full Version : "Regular" stealth?

Beau_Roger
09-08-2009, 06:21 PM
One thing that bothered me with the first game was the lack of "regular" stealth as in splinter cell or even metal gear. Granted, with such an enormous place to render one cant expect to have the level of sophisticated hide mechanics as in splinter cell, but in the first assassins creed, the only hide mechanic was praying and leaping of buildings landing in haystacks

I think more subtle hide mechanics that include taking cover, hiding behind objects, peeking around corners, jumping to cover, etc could really improve the game. Does anybody know if they are adressing this in Assassins creed 2?

I mean, hiding in shadows and being able to fool the AI when they are chasing after you through the city would be awesome, but thats nothing i expect, but the other things i mentioned should be given.

Beau_Roger
09-08-2009, 06:21 PM
One thing that bothered me with the first game was the lack of "regular" stealth as in splinter cell or even metal gear. Granted, with such an enormous place to render one cant expect to have the level of sophisticated hide mechanics as in splinter cell, but in the first assassins creed, the only hide mechanic was praying and leaping of buildings landing in haystacks

I think more subtle hide mechanics that include taking cover, hiding behind objects, peeking around corners, jumping to cover, etc could really improve the game. Does anybody know if they are adressing this in Assassins creed 2?

I mean, hiding in shadows and being able to fool the AI when they are chasing after you through the city would be awesome, but thats nothing i expect, but the other things i mentioned should be given.

IEzioI
09-08-2009, 06:23 PM
that would be cool but im almost positive they are not doing it for assassins creed 2.

from what ive seen its generally the same as AC one stealth wise.

one thing that is nice is blending with any crowd, looking forward to that http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Losk_
09-08-2009, 06:51 PM
Probably not going to see that outside of perhaps cut scenes during the secret location sections...

Hiding behind boxes and peering around would make you stand out in a public area, goes against the whole social stealth concept.

thekyle0
09-08-2009, 06:55 PM
If that's what you want then stick to the games that use that. Assassin's creed is supposed to be a social stealth game. I guess AC1 turned out to be more of a proximity stealth game but AC2 definatley will present the style much better.

Also, you forgot about roof gardens and benches.

Beau_Roger
09-08-2009, 07:07 PM
One does not have to exclude the other. Just because its social stealth doesnt mean there is people everywhere at any given time. A pretty bad assassin dont you think, that can only blend in with crowds? How about night time in certain areas, how about unpopulated places, rooftops, heavy guarded palaces. Are you supposed to pray your way trough that?

I see no reason why it shouldnt be included. its simply tied to the AIs field of vision. As i said, the focus can be social stealth, but exluding such a basic thing in a game thats supposed to be fairly "realistic" is just weird.

thekyle0
09-08-2009, 07:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Beau_Roger:
How about night time in certain areas, how about unpopulated places, rooftops, heavy guarded palaces. Are you supposed to pray your way trough that? </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Well, welcome to the forums. I encourage you to read around and see what you can learn about these things.

Also, when games try to do too much they often tend to do it with a gimmicky feel. I'd rather play two games that do what they're about really well instead of one game that does a lot but presents it all as mediocre. I see it as quality over quantity.

Losk_
09-08-2009, 07:18 PM
Well the guards already have line of sight, even in AC1, so basically you're asking for the ability to duck and crawl around?

There are a number of considerations too, for example I wouldn't want to get stuck to cover when i meant to run/jump/parkour over it during an escape sequence. Also the added complexity to the control scheme.

Xanatos2007
09-08-2009, 11:51 PM
I've managed to hide from guards by pressing up against a wall (high profile + move into wall) and by crouching behind plants & crates (hold high profile + legs). Useful when hiding from archers, because blend doesn't work on them.

LaurenIsSoMosh
09-09-2009, 01:33 AM
I don't think AC II should focus heavily on sneaking, but Roger does have a pretty good point; AC could be kinda frustrating when you ran out of people.

In AC II, it appears you'll spend even more time away from crowds, what with things like night time and catacombs, and I'm interested in seeing how those situations are approached. I hope it's not still proximity stealth...

SWJS
09-09-2009, 01:58 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LaurenIsSoMosh:
I don't think AC II should focus heavily on sneaking, but Roger does have a pretty good point; AC could be kinda frustrating when you ran out of people.

In AC II, it appears you'll spend even more time away from crowds, what with things like night time and catacombs, and I'm interested in seeing how those situations are approached. I hope it's not still proximity stealth... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Ecspecially if the game forces you to ride at the pace of a turtle in a bucket of molasses sinking in quicksand frozen in a block of ice trapped in a time paradox, through the countryside for the first few missions.

I really didn't have the time or patience to walk at the speed of smell through miles of country because the guards who have never seen me before automatically know I'm going of to murder a guy who probably employs their brother or something. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

davethepaveway
09-09-2009, 09:45 AM
i never understood how the hell he got past the guard at cities with schollars when he's armed to the teeth...'' excuse me is that a blade you've got there''

''no its a giant quill made of metal http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif''

Edengoth
09-09-2009, 09:54 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by EzioTheAssassin:
Ecspecially if the game forces you to ride at the pace of a turtle in a bucket of molasses sinking in quicksand frozen in a block of ice trapped in a time paradox, through the countryside for the first few missions.

I really didn't have the time or patience to walk at the speed of smell through miles of country because the guards who have never seen me before automatically know I'm going of to murder a guy who probably employs their brother or something. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I never understood why anyone bothered being stealthy in the Kingdom. You're on a freakin horse! The enemies can't use a horse! If you're exploring a town in the Kingdom, then it's fun to sneak around, but generally you're on foot for that anyway. If you're just trying to get from A to B, then why are you trying to be stealthy in the first place? You have a horse! lol http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/crackwhip.gif

SWJS
09-09-2009, 07:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Edengoth:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by EzioTheAssassin:
Ecspecially if the game forces you to ride at the pace of a turtle in a bucket of molasses sinking in quicksand frozen in a block of ice trapped in a time paradox, through the countryside for the first few missions.

I really didn't have the time or patience to walk at the speed of smell through miles of country because the guards who have never seen me before automatically know I'm going of to murder a guy who probably employs their brother or something. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I never understood why anyone bothered being stealthy in the Kingdom. You're on a freakin horse! The enemies can't use a horse! If you're exploring a town in the Kingdom, then it's fun to sneak around, but generally you're on foot for that anyway. If you're just trying to get from A to B, then why are you trying to be stealthy in the first place? You have a horse! lol http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/crackwhip.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I didn't try to be stealthy. I couldn't. I always go spotted, I always got knocked off my horse, I always had to fight. It was more of a chore than it was fun.

Guard: That man is going over the speed limit of 0.2MPH, he's obviously an Assassin!

It's just like Sibrand with that monk.

"You wear the same robes! ASSASSIN!"

I actually think that conversation was hanging a lampshade over the whole "blend with monks" thing being as absolutely ludicrous as it was, as c-swain points out.

thekyle0
09-09-2009, 07:55 PM
What you have to do is just go around the guards when they form a barricade. Otherwise just run on foot to another horse if they do knock you down.

bladencrowd
09-09-2009, 07:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by thekyle0:
What you have to do is just go around the guards when they form a barricade. Otherwise just run on foot to another horse if they do knock you down. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can even tackle them head on sometimes.

SBRedFlag
09-09-2009, 09:18 PM
Or swing at them while riding through.

obliviondoll
09-10-2009, 04:21 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Xanatos2007:
I've managed to hide from guards by pressing up against a wall (high profile + move into wall) and by crouching behind plants & crates (hold high profile + legs). Useful when hiding from archers, because blend doesn't work on them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto.

When without crowds, stick walls between you and the other guy. Works like a charm for me.

Although I suppose I do it in real life too. Not because I need to hide, just to see how far I can go without being noticed. I also like sneaking up on friends occasionally.

Xanatos2007
09-10-2009, 04:43 AM
That's pretty much me 24/7. Some people have come to the conclusion that I can teleport because I keep popping up unexpectadly, gain access to locked rooms and I shift from place to place rapidly.

SBRedFlag
09-10-2009, 04:56 AM
That's awesome http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif
I wish I could do that.
I'm giggling too heard when I try to sneak, I always get heard http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/disagree.gif

obliviondoll
09-10-2009, 05:25 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Xanatos2007:
That's pretty much me 24/7. Some people have come to the conclusion that I can teleport because I keep popping up unexpectadly, gain access to locked rooms and I shift from place to place rapidly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hope to meet you sometime.

And pick a less-than-lethal fight to see what happens...

Xanatos2007
09-10-2009, 05:37 AM
You don't meet me. I meet you. http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/verkleidung/costumed-smiley-049.gif

FROGGEman2
09-10-2009, 05:38 AM
Well...

Maybe.

I think social stealth fits with the whole variation thing, though.