PDA

View Full Version : AI gunners

megalopsuche
03-23-2009, 02:32 PM
Alright, so I am still pretty new to Il-2 and learning more and more about what the game has to offer. I did some searches, and I see I am not alone in the opinion that the AI gunners are ridiculous. It doesn't seem to be much of an issue in offline play, where only a minority of the bombers you come across are "Aces," but in online play "Ace" seems to be default for gunners on the Skies of Valor server.

Do these settings change from server to server? I'd like an online experience without death star bombers using AI to attack fighters in the middle of a furball. A server with no AI gunners at all would be even better.

To me, it's a little surprising that you guys still have AI gunners for online play in Il-2. We had them years ago in Warbirds, and "Otto" was a real crack-shot. They tried all sorts of fixes to tone it down, e.g. g-limitations, pitch/bank limitations, but the final fix, in the descendant game Aces High, is for there to be no AI gunners at all on bombers. Players must gun for their own bombers, i.e. learn to shoot from all the defensive positions. Here in Il-2 I see guys rolling their SBD's inverted to train their AI gunners on an attacker, and, again, it's astonishing that this kind of thing is tolerated.

megalopsuche
03-23-2009, 02:32 PM
Alright, so I am still pretty new to Il-2 and learning more and more about what the game has to offer. I did some searches, and I see I am not alone in the opinion that the AI gunners are ridiculous. It doesn't seem to be much of an issue in offline play, where only a minority of the bombers you come across are "Aces," but in online play "Ace" seems to be default for gunners on the Skies of Valor server.

Do these settings change from server to server? I'd like an online experience without death star bombers using AI to attack fighters in the middle of a furball. A server with no AI gunners at all would be even better.

To me, it's a little surprising that you guys still have AI gunners for online play in Il-2. We had them years ago in Warbirds, and "Otto" was a real crack-shot. They tried all sorts of fixes to tone it down, e.g. g-limitations, pitch/bank limitations, but the final fix, in the descendant game Aces High, is for there to be no AI gunners at all on bombers. Players must gun for their own bombers, i.e. learn to shoot from all the defensive positions. Here in Il-2 I see guys rolling their SBD's inverted to train their AI gunners on an attacker, and, again, it's astonishing that this kind of thing is tolerated.

DrHerb
03-23-2009, 02:35 PM
Thats funny....

Everytime I fly a bomber and there's an AI gunner with me....he does squat.. I have to man the gun and blast away at my attacker.

megalopsuche
03-23-2009, 02:35 PM
Yes, that's why I'm thinking it must be server dependent. Which do you play on?

---------

I should add that I know not to just climb up a bomber's 6... High speed slashing attacks work great against human gunners, but the AI has no trouble with it.

DrHerb
03-23-2009, 02:40 PM
Normally im on SoF or SoV both good servers

megalopsuche
03-23-2009, 03:19 PM
You know, that you find your AI gunners ineffective might be because your attackers have learned the best techniques for avoiding it, whereas I'm having to relearn how to attack bombers with AI gunners. All of the techniques I'm in the habit of using work great against human opponents, but fail against the AI gunners...

Stiletto-
03-23-2009, 05:02 PM
While the AI gunner's in general are very good, alot of your luck against them depends on what type of aircraft they are in and what type of plane you are flying.
Obviously if you are flying a FW190 with wing gondolas against a Blenheim or some of the older Russian bombers it won't seem that bad. They'll fall out of the sky quickly with relatively little defensive fire. Now if you are in a Zero trying to take on a B-29, that is quite a different scenario!

In either case, slashing attacks with high deflection angles work best, the AI gunners have problems judging your angle if you come in at around the 4 or 7 o'clock angle. Just watch out for crossing other bombers tails if you are in a large stream of them.