PDA

View Full Version : Not strictly AC...

Meleth1977
05-14-2010, 02:03 AM
I have a question that's not strictly AC related but I reckon you lot can give me good help anyway.

I'm new to gaming and I've played AC2 on PC but I am so tempted to buy a PS3 and play it on that. I got very close to buying a PS3 the other day. What held me back was the lack of other PS3 games that I felt I'd like to play. It's all run around and shoot first or different sports games like NHL Hockey or FIFA Fotball.
So, what do you reckon? Are there other games similar to AC2 for PS3 that I might like? I don't like sports games and I certainly don't like general mayhem, "shot as many zombies you can" type games.

Most of my gaming as been on the MYST series and Uru (one of the reasons I bought AC2 on a hunch was because it was done by Ubisoft who did MYST and Uru) and I really like games that require more logic and puzzle solving skills.

Meleth1977
05-14-2010, 02:03 AM
I have a question that's not strictly AC related but I reckon you lot can give me good help anyway.

I'm new to gaming and I've played AC2 on PC but I am so tempted to buy a PS3 and play it on that. I got very close to buying a PS3 the other day. What held me back was the lack of other PS3 games that I felt I'd like to play. It's all run around and shoot first or different sports games like NHL Hockey or FIFA Fotball.
So, what do you reckon? Are there other games similar to AC2 for PS3 that I might like? I don't like sports games and I certainly don't like general mayhem, "shot as many zombies you can" type games.

Most of my gaming as been on the MYST series and Uru (one of the reasons I bought AC2 on a hunch was because it was done by Ubisoft who did MYST and Uru) and I really like games that require more logic and puzzle solving skills.

Cpt_Yanni
05-14-2010, 02:12 AM
You might like InFamous (and InFamous 2 probably coming ... ), The Saboteur and Prototype (they kinda like "climbing buildings" games http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif )... But PS3 has also nice exclusives like LittleBigPlanet and Uncharted 2 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

josh121
05-14-2010, 02:14 AM
you also have god of war3, which may be a hack n slash but does rquire some brain skills at time. oh and you have star wars force unleased which is very good.

Crotanks
05-14-2010, 02:50 AM
Infamous
Heavy Rain
Uncharted
Uncharted 2
God of War 3
Metal Gear Solid 4

Abeonis
05-14-2010, 03:39 AM
...or you could buy a 360?

Meleth1977
05-14-2010, 04:50 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Abeonis:
...or you could buy a 360? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What's the difference?

nitres15
05-14-2010, 05:03 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Meleth1977:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Abeonis:

What's the difference? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
the other one is a xbox360 and the other one is a playstation 3

josh121
05-14-2010, 05:33 AM
xbox 360 = great console and amzing online community/connectivity
PS3 = Great console, alright online (free) AND a home entertainment center.

BK-110
05-14-2010, 05:50 AM
If you want to choose between PS3 and 360, look at a list of their respective exclusives to get an idea of which console has the games you like.

Meleth1977
05-14-2010, 08:54 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nitres155:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Meleth1977:

What's the difference? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
the other one is a xbox360 and the other one is a playstation 3 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aha! Here we just call them Xbox. I've compared the two but since I need a new dvd/blueray player too I decided on the PS3. The online aspect isn't to important to me.

josh121
05-14-2010, 09:27 AM
good choice. Add me on PSN when you can, my name is J_W4TKIN5

Deathshennin
05-15-2010, 07:10 PM
Ps3 does not only have shooters, and sport games.

You got tons of platformers, how about Prins of Persia? Uncharted, Rachet and Clank, Sonic, Spiderman and such games.

Meleth1977
05-16-2010, 01:57 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Deathshennin:
Ps3 does not only have shooters, and sport games.

You got tons of platformers, how about Prins of Persia? Uncharted, Rachet and Clank, Sonic, Spiderman and such games. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the tips, I'll have a look at them.

What stopped me from buying the PS3 that day was that the shop I was in had a very depressing selection of PS3 games. The only platform game was Assassins Creed II so I was discouraged.

ILLusioNaire
05-16-2010, 10:40 AM
There's Ninja Gaiden Sigma II, Heavy Rain,and Yakuza 3.

godsmack_darius
05-16-2010, 04:58 PM
Resistance fall of man?

SWJS
05-16-2010, 05:18 PM

What's the difference? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The 360 has a bigger selection of games, mostly because of exclusives like Crackdown and Halo 3. I also find the 360's controller to be more comfortable to use. But that's just my opinion. Both consoles have their pros and cons.

PlagueDoctor357
05-16-2010, 06:08 PM
PS3 exclusives kill the Xbox I think.

Games like LittleBigPlanet and the sequel which will be NOTHING short of a technical amazing game.

Heavy Rain? There are no games like it save Indigo prophecy but the xbox version is toned down and sucks anyway.

Heavy Rain is an amazing experience unlike any other games which rocks.

Or you could take the 360 exclusives, which is more GTA games and games like halo where you shoot a person for 5 seconds till their shield drops then shoot em again.

I own both consoles and I started with my xbox.
At first I barely used my PS3 for anything but blu rays and thought it was a waste.

Now I ONLY turn my 360 on to play 1 vs 100 or to download new game videos that aren't released on PSN right away.

Shabon1990
05-16-2010, 06:54 PM
Well, you could always get the games that come on both the 360 and PS3 such as Grand Theft Auto 4. Jus saying(though I'm going to assume you could always get that for the PC). My suggestions is to look at some of the games coming out later this year.

SWJS
05-17-2010, 12:12 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">PS3 exclusives kill the Xbox I think.

Games like LittleBigPlanet and the sequel which will be NOTHING short of a technical amazing game.

Heavy Rain? There are no games like it save Indigo prophecy but the xbox version is toned down and sucks anyway.

Heavy Rain is an amazing experience unlike any other games which rocks.

Or you could take the 360 exclusives, which is more GTA games and games like halo where you shoot a person for 5 seconds till their shield drops then shoot em again.

I own both consoles and I started with my xbox.
At first I barely used my PS3 for anything but blu rays and thought it was a waste.

Now I ONLY turn my 360 on to play 1 vs 100 or to download new game videos that aren't released on PSN right away. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The problem with games like Heavy Rain, for me, at least, is that it's basically a gritty, realistic, QTE game. There isn't much to it. Pressing a button at the right time to make something happen does not a fun game make, at least for me.

GTA on the other hand, has always been a fun and popular series. GTA IV ruined it for, once again, gritty realism. I mean really, the mini games were Watch TV, Go Bowling, etc. Those are things I could do in real life, without having to call my annoying cousin to do them.

Halo isn't as bad as everyone says. Honestly I can't even see where all the hate is stemming from. Is it because it's not set in WWI or something? Really. I hate FPS games, and I enjoy the halo games. Probably because they weren't set in WWII, or in some major city like D.C. or New York. The fact that the games took place in locations never used before and allowed you to use weapons other than the typical FPS weapons, is just part of the reason I enjoyed the games. Having the abilty to get creative and create my own maps with the Forge edit mode was really welcome too. Basically Bungie said "If we screwed up and you can make a better map, here are the tools, do as you please." That was a big thumbs up for me.

Both consoles have great exclusives. PS3 has Infamous, Ratchet and Clank, God of War, etc. 360 has Halo, Crackdown, Dead Rising(even though I despise that game), etc. It really all depends on what your into. Most of the games for PS3 are some type of shooter, mostly FPS and War games. 360's selection is slightly broader, and while it's games are also mostly some type of shooter, they vary in some way, such as Crackdown being basically GTA, but the 'hero' has super powers. The 360 also lightens up on the gritty realism aspect with many games, including arcade titles.

I find something enjoyable out of ALL consoles, even the PC, but I still perfer the 360, because I like it's game selection, I like it's controller, it's got better online capabilities, despite the people online being less...'desirable', and it can play other discs. It's all I need. The PS3's more expensive, and for what? Blu-Ray? So the picture is crisper. Who cares? I can see no difference between my crappy 90s TV and an HDTV, and believe me, I have watched an HDTV before. Bunch of wasted money just to make a movie 'look better' if you ask me.

But as I said before, we all have different tastes and opinions. Personally, I just happen to prefer fun and reliability over crisper graphics and hi-tech CD drives.

Meleth1977
05-17-2010, 12:32 AM
Well, the big deal for me is that I really don't like shooter games and a console that has mostly that won't be worth my money. Might as well stay with my PC then http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif