PDA

View Full Version : OT: UK TV / Tonight 5:25-7:30 Channel Four / Britains Cold War Wonder Weapons

AWL_Spinner
04-24-2005, 06:52 AM
If like me you were awed by Vulcans and Lightnings as a child at airshows then this is probably for you. Lots of brilliant footage.

AWL_Spinner
04-24-2005, 06:52 AM
If like me you were awed by Vulcans and Lightnings as a child at airshows then this is probably for you. Lots of brilliant footage.

DeerHunterUK
04-24-2005, 08:56 AM
I think this has been on Discovery Wings already or something similar at least. But I'll be checking out Channel 4 later, thanks for the heads up. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

ytareh
04-24-2005, 11:02 AM
Watchin it now ,its great,just missed the first few mins when logged on here....Thanks

Yimmy
04-24-2005, 12:27 PM
Almost makes me want to watch Doctor Strange Love again....

AWL_Spinner
04-24-2005, 01:04 PM
When us Brits used to be able to build things. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

*sigh*

Awesome V-bomber footage, and those nuclear tests http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

ytareh
04-24-2005, 01:24 PM
A bit disappointed there were no Lightnings!!!But nevertheless a great programme-2hrs+ just flew by.There was a great sense by the end that GB had left behind much (engineering)glory.But is it really that bad!?'You lot'are still at the cutting edge of Formula 1 and many other racing grades etc after all!(Arent most of the cars'-apart from maybe The Red Cars-research and development done within a few miles of one another near Silverstone/Brands etc Im sure there are many other areas where GB engineering is still world class....By the way speaking of all things quintessentially british :is it true as stated on Dr Who(!)that the PM of UK doesnt have direct access to his nuke launch codes and that he has to go 'cap in hand' to the UN Security Council to argue his case for strike?

dannytherat
04-24-2005, 04:37 PM
I watched part of the programme on Channel 4 earlier on and also Dr Who last night (both while at work but the less said about that the better).

I was wondering about the question of launch codes raised by Dr Who. I can hardly imagine that Britain would have to get the codes released to them by the United Nations, after all it's not as if the world's nukes are in a nice little centralised global nuke-store where warring parties have to come and get them signed out from the WMD-keeper.

However, it did remind me of the fact that quite some time ago I read somewhere about the fact that when Britain had land based Thor ICBMs in the early 1960s, although they were nominally under British control, there was an exceptionally inflexible command system in place that effectively meant that the British would have to ask the Americans if they were allowed to launch the British-owned missiles (presumably because the warheads were of American manufacture).

Does anyone have any more information on this one?

92SqnGCJimbo
04-25-2005, 08:48 AM
no.. britain can launch nukes on her own..

when we had the thors we had to ask america if they would launch with us because we had so few nukes compared to america.. and although we could damage we could never have completly wiped out russia neuclear capabilites whereas with america we could