PDA

View Full Version : Trim control

wstreaker
06-28-2005, 08:24 AM
I'm having trouble accuratly setting the trim for level flight. I'm using a Saitek X52 joystick using the two rotaries on the throttle as my elevator trim(large wheel) and rudder trim(small wheel) It seems I can get the trim close, but then the slightest movement will overcorrect one way or the other. The trim controls in the conf.ini file are 1U1 and 1V1 and are set at the default (0 100 100 .. 0) I've tried setting them to 0 5 10 15 20 .. but this didn't have any effect. Any suggestions ? The planes I'm usually flying are the Spit IXe and G4M Bomber.

Overall setup
HP xw4100 workstation 1G ram, 3.06ghz processor
nvidia 6600GT video card
Audiology Z2 sound card
CH rudder pedals (ID 1 controller in IL2)
Saitek X52 Flight Controller (ID 2 Controller in IL2)
TrackIR 3pro
voice buddy - software only

wstreaker
06-28-2005, 08:24 AM
I'm having trouble accuratly setting the trim for level flight. I'm using a Saitek X52 joystick using the two rotaries on the throttle as my elevator trim(large wheel) and rudder trim(small wheel) It seems I can get the trim close, but then the slightest movement will overcorrect one way or the other. The trim controls in the conf.ini file are 1U1 and 1V1 and are set at the default (0 100 100 .. 0) I've tried setting them to 0 5 10 15 20 .. but this didn't have any effect. Any suggestions ? The planes I'm usually flying are the Spit IXe and G4M Bomber.

Overall setup
HP xw4100 workstation 1G ram, 3.06ghz processor
nvidia 6600GT video card
Audiology Z2 sound card
CH rudder pedals (ID 1 controller in IL2)
Saitek X52 Flight Controller (ID 2 Controller in IL2)
TrackIR 3pro
voice buddy - software only

Freelancer-1
06-28-2005, 08:39 AM
It's the same with the rotaries on my X-45.

The only solution I've found so far is to have a real delicate touch. It seems that a movment of less than one degree on the wheel causes a big change in the trim.

Frustrating at times.

Freelancer

cueceleches
06-28-2005, 09:03 AM
Agreed with both. I also have my pitch trim assigned to my Cougar Antenna Elevation rotary and the slightest of movements affect greatly, so I´ve learn to make precision sliding with it. At first I found it way difficult, as I had to trim my plane, any plane almost every time, and especially according to throttle inputs, but now it rocks, as I ´ve really learnt how to take profit of it in close combat.
Now, I´m much better at deflection shooting than at stable and straight ones!

bolox00
06-28-2005, 09:28 AM
similar prob here also..
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/49310655/m/1951080433
replugging stick /rerunning il2setup worked for me but apparently not others. Anybody found a cause/solution yet apart from complete reinstall(with qmb test flight between each step)?

cueceleches
06-28-2005, 09:54 AM
I guess there is no solution but to get used to it. It´s not a bug, I think, just the new FM.
You know, it reminds me a little of Flaming Cliffs, where the new SU-25T has to be trimmed for every action you take, and level flight is nearly impossible without constantly trimming or with AP help.

LStarosta
06-28-2005, 10:37 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cueceleches:
and level flight is nearly impossible without constantly trimming or with AP help. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Welcome to real life flight.

bolox00
06-28-2005, 11:12 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cueceleches:
I guess there is no solution but to get used to it. It´s not a bug, I think, just the new FM.
You know, it reminds me a little of Flaming Cliffs, where the new SU-25T has to be trimmed for every action you take, and level flight is nearly impossible without constantly trimming or with AP help. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

my 'secondary' controller now works fine now so a solution should be possible-hopefully a solution for others will be found shortly

NonWonderDog
06-28-2005, 12:03 PM
Setting your trim axis to 50 across the board should help. You'll only get half the amount of trim movement, but do you really need all that trim response?

I don't use trim on a rotary or anything, though, so I don't know how bad the problem is.

bolox00
06-28-2005, 02:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NonWonderDog:
Setting your trim axis to 50 across the board should help. You'll only get half the amount of trim movement, but do you really need all that trim response?

I don't use trim on a rotary or anything, though, so I don't know how bad the problem is. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Indeed, setting elev/rudder trim to top out at 50% seems to be perfectly addequate/more realistic (and aieron trim at 15%!!)
the problem here seems to be changing settings in conf.ini not having any effect.

not 'having a go' http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif just trying to 'define the problem' better

TX-EcoDragon
06-28-2005, 06:04 PM
I use one of the 4 way hats on the X-45 for Aileron and Elevator trim. . .works just fine with precise control (and good old keyboard rudder trim).

Bearcat99
06-28-2005, 06:46 PM
Ive got my elevator trim on my X-45 thubwheel... aileron trim on the index wheel.. and rudder trim on the MSFFB throttle.. works great.. I put a little mark on the FFB stick to let me know ehre center is.... thereabouts.. but i use the ball in the pit to be sure... works like a charm.

Jetbuff
06-28-2005, 08:38 PM
Yep, 50% across the board works for me too. As for conf.ini settings not taking effect, double-check that you are setting the right axes, e.g. my X-45 is recognized as controller #2 so I have to modify the 1V, 1X, 1Y, 1RZ settings as opposed to V, X, Y and RZ.

cueceleches
06-29-2005, 02:40 AM
Sorry for my ignorance, but what does "50% across the board" mean? How do I set this?

bolox00
06-29-2005, 04:00 AM
Sorry for my ignorance, but what does "50% across the board" mean? How do I set this? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

this is when all the sensitivity numbers (10 of them relating to 1st 10%movement ...thru to last 10%-ie 90%-100%) are set to 50. the first and last numbers refer to dead band and filter respectively.Filter imho should be left at zero unless you have a spiky input.
thus your relevant line would look something like.....

1X1 0 50 50 50 50 50 50 50 50 50 50 0

(1X1 will obviously change depending on which axis you want to modify.

http://www.airwarfare.com/tech/sticks.htm
may explain things better

cueceleches
06-29-2005, 04:11 AM
Thanks a lot. I´m only interested in pitch, which is the one that is way too sensitive for me. Not trim itself, but stick pitch, so I´ll try those settings and see if they smoothen things a bit.

bolox00
06-29-2005, 04:44 AM
if altering pitch axis you probably don't want 50% at the top end of movement! A linear progression upto 100 is usually better.

1Y=0 20 30 40 47 55 66 74 84 94 100 0
is what i'm using on my cougar(ID1)- no axis profiling in cougar control panel.

Backing up conf.ini before making changes goes without saying http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

cueceleches
06-29-2005, 05:00 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bolox00:
if altering pitch axis you probably don't want 50% at the top end of movement! A linear progression upto 100 is usually better.

1Y=0 20 30 40 47 55 66 74 84 94 100 0
is what i'm using on my cougar(ID1)- no axis profiling in cougar control panel.

Backing up conf.ini before making changes goes without saying http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Those are about the same settings I´m actually using. The pitch axis into the CCP is set to linear, and so only make changes in the ingame settings. But I still feel the pitch a little too sensitive.
I´ve apllied some filtering, and it works better.

geetarman
06-29-2005, 09:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LStarosta:
and level flight is nearly impossible without constantly trimming or with AP help. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Welcome to real life flight. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

rgr that! Talk to a RL Mustang pilot.