PDA

View Full Version : FB+AEP+PF question

harlikwin
12-30-2005, 10:51 AM
So I installed all of these (from the gold pack merged install) and then patched up PF to 4.02M...

However I Don't seem to have the normandy/west maps or any western campaigns. I was under the impression that those were included with AEP? Is there any way to get these seperately?

harlikwin
12-30-2005, 10:51 AM
So I installed all of these (from the gold pack merged install) and then patched up PF to 4.02M...

However I Don't seem to have the normandy/west maps or any western campaigns. I was under the impression that those were included with AEP? Is there any way to get these seperately?

FoolTrottel
12-30-2005, 11:27 AM
You sure you used all disks?
(two for FB, one for AEP, two for PF)
There's a disk that's a bit hidden inside the Gold package.

Good Luck!

triad773
12-30-2005, 01:35 PM
Hi Harlikwin- my understanding of this is that you can find the maps in question under the complete mission builder under Load Map. If anyone else knows where else it is accessible I would welcome that info as well- but that is what my search revealed. That, or find a ready made mission that uses that map.

Either way, best of luck and good shooting!

Cheers

Triad

harlikwin
12-30-2005, 06:02 PM
Thanks triad. They are in fact where you said. I just got the game and was wondering why the quick mission builder didn't support many maps.

Skycat_2
12-30-2005, 09:47 PM
Only about four maps are available in QMB with FB/AEP; there are many other maps in the game that are not in QMB but are used for the career campaigns or for online play. As you already noticed the Normandy and Ardennes maps aren't in QMB; Berlin, Hungary, Gulf of Finland, and online desert mountains are among the several others that are not in QMB.

As for "why" there are so few maps enabled in QMB, the explanation that gets bandied around is that it is too time consuming and complicated to create templates for every map. I think that plotting the ground activity is the issue. Regardless, the QMB maps are simply to allow you quick play and it can be argued that you really don't need every map to be selectable just to create quick dogfights. If this rationale bothers you, there is a free, third-party addon called Demon's UberQuick Mission Generator (http://www.simhq.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=127;t=001338) that can be used as an alternative to QMB; you can choose any map (I believe) and the program allows several more options than QMB. It's pretty easy to set up and only slightly more complicated to use than QMB.

There are no Dynamic Campaigns for the Normandy and Ardennes maps included in FB/AEP. The reason is that the maps were built by a third-party team for their commercial add-on product "Battle Over Europe" (available through JustFlight.com). The maps built for the project had to be given away in a free patch for FB (and later they were included on the AEP expansion disc) in order to get them in the game. The campaigns for the maps (including US, Luftwaffe -- and later, RAF -- careers) were written by the same guy who wrote all the other campaigns included in FB and AEP; he didn't offer any "free" campaigns for these maps in FB/AEP because then people wouldn't buy the BOE product. The author has issued several BOE patches, however, as new planes became flyable in the series so I don't want to sound critical of him -- he is a friend to the community and all.

If you would like some missions and campaigns for the Normandy and Ardennes maps, especially for US fighters, take a look at the community-made downloads available at Netwings. Offhand I can recall and recommend "On Our Way To Victory" and the "Hellhawks" campaigns, both of which are available somewhere around pages 9-12 at the Netwings FB missions section.