PDA

View Full Version : snorkel

lazh32
10-03-2006, 09:16 AM
Why can they still see my snorkel if l have the the anti radar tarnmatte...I don't see any airplanes while submerge until they are right over me...I have the radar warning fumb26. If I surfice to try to recharge my batteries I have very little warning before the onslaught of airplanes begins... DATE sept 29 1944

lazh32
10-03-2006, 09:16 AM
Why can they still see my snorkel if l have the the anti radar tarnmatte...I don't see any airplanes while submerge until they are right over me...I have the radar warning fumb26. If I surfice to try to recharge my batteries I have very little warning before the onslaught of airplanes begins... DATE sept 29 1944

lecek
10-03-2006, 01:10 PM
The anti-radar coating only makes it so that they have to be closer before they can see you.

You need to go deeper then snorkle depth to be really safe. The snorkle works at periscope depth for example.

If you are in an IX sub you can even go deeper.

The top of your snorkle should be less then one meter above the water. Higher then that and you are asking for trouble.

Make sure your observation scope is out so that you can just see above well enough. Usually just a bit higher then the snorkle itself.

If the TC drops for any reason just crash dive. No questions or anything.

Your radar detector doesn't work under water.

lazh32
10-04-2006, 06:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lecek:
The anti-radar coating only makes it so that they have to be closer before they can see you.

You need to go deeper then snorkle depth to be really safe. The snorkle works at periscope depth for example.

If you are in an IX sub you can even go deeper.

The top of your snorkle should be less then one meter above the water. Higher then that and you are asking for trouble.

Make sure your observation scope is out so that you can just see above well enough. Usually just a bit higher then the snorkle itself.

If the TC drops for any reason just crash dive. No questions or anything.

Your radar detector doesn't work under water. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> thank you for your help... but I barely raise the snorkel high enough to breath and surfacing is murder I must be doing something wronge my is ship is a v11c. TC ?

gadflyjs
10-04-2006, 07:12 PM
no, I use snorkel all the time and it is just barely above water so that my boat can re-charge, the RAF still find me, although not always. the anti radar tarnmatte is not very efficiency. But stick the periscope(s) out do help. Someone mentioned TC should not higher than x64 so that you can react, but I don't follow that and still alive. Maybe it is just luck.

Recently, I am too lazy to dive, just keep surface and fight those planes. With some good flak gunners and U-flak, I say we should fight back! XXI only has two 2cm FK C/38 Flakzwilling XXI, and 4000 shots only. I edited it and increase to total 8000! Ok, seriously, everytime RAF detected me, thatis, the game pause, I lower the snorkel and periscopes and dive deeper. I think avoiding, dodging is part of the life of a U-boat skipper.

lecek
10-05-2006, 09:03 PM
With all due respect about the limiting TC bullcrap.

Go with 1024 for one mission. If you play DiD, don't worry about it for this one mission. Do and expiriment.

Some players report that planes radar doesn't seem to work at higher TC, I don't know if that is true, all I know is that I crused through 1944 and never, not even once got stoped by a plane. Once I slow down to take a target though, they come out of the woodwork.

I don't know if the higher TC really works, all I know is that I never see planes at high TC when everyone else is telling me how bad they are.

So try it for one mission. 512 or 1024 and let me know if it works for you too. And keep the snorkles deep. If you at 10 meters with your snorkle out like a beacon I won't be impressed. They probably saw you as soon as they left Britain.