PDA

View Full Version : OT: Vietnam Flight Sims

3.JG51_BigBear
01-18-2005, 04:12 PM
Does anyone know of any good ones? Thanks.

3.JG51_BigBear
01-18-2005, 04:12 PM
Does anyone know of any good ones? Thanks.

adlabs6
01-18-2005, 04:24 PM
I've been looking at Wings Over Vietnam, looks pretty fun. Some people here have it, maybe they have a better idea of it's value.

civildog
01-18-2005, 05:09 PM
No.

But if I close my eyes while I fly the Me-262 I can pretend I'm going "Downtown".

maddogjohn1966
01-18-2005, 06:00 PM
Viet Nam flight sims should be done. MS could do it, Ubi could do it. MS stopped at WWII, although some **** good 3rd party designers did a **** good job on Korea. (i.e Dogpatch Crew- free download and good content) Ubi could do it, but they tried modern day( i.e--lock-on) , and no show.

Yes, F-4 Phantoms, F-104 THUDS, ect, ect, SAMS, Migs, A-4's, F-4 Phantoms, carriers, jungle AB's, napalms...... .....

If the Il-2 team did the Nam..... I'd be so be there...

But if MS beats them to it.... I'll buy it.

Why the gap?

WTE_Galway
01-18-2005, 06:44 PM
the ancient DOS game F15 eagle II had an exceptionally good 'nam scenario, though you could only fly the F15, you outclassed the old Migs quite a bit one on one but if you got low and slow against a couple of them you were in real trouble and the SAM's were nasty

F4's and Skyhawks versus Migs would be fun http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

3.JG51_BigBear
01-18-2005, 06:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by adlabs6:
I've been looking at Wings Over Vietnam, looks pretty fun. Some people here have it, maybe they have a better idea of it's value. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This looks to be the only "modern" one available and its gotten mixed reviews. From what I've read it looks like a bargain bin buy. Graphics look a little fugly and apparently you need to limit yourself if you want the flight models to make any sense. I guess you can pull crazy manuevers without stalling the aircraft but if you kinda define a flight envelope for yourself it works okay. Doesn't sound too good.

Lav69
01-18-2005, 06:58 PM
"it isn't uncommon to witness dozens of SA-2 SAM missle launches in less than a minute (and Third Wire didn't give us any countermeasures to spoof them)."

"The simplified avionics are well-suited for novice PC aviators, but with Wings' bland terrain and cookie-cutter campaign missions, it just doesn't pack enough ordnance for discerning jet-sim fans."

Quotes from January PC Gamer. They gave it a 65% - not good. Don't waste your money.

Lav69
01-18-2005, 07:00 PM
Personally I'd rather see a top notch WWI sim.

LEXX_Luthor
01-18-2005, 07:06 PM
No -- Vietnam flight sims can't sell today, because you can only fly one side with any Choice of planes. Same thing with a Korea flight sim.

A sim combining Korea, Vietnam, Middle East, India/Pakistan, and Cold War turning Hot War, and focusing in the years 1950-1970 would be of intense interest to gamers around the world--and would have simple avionics to model compared to a modern "uber" super-jet sim. A LOMAC developer posted in the lomac forum that the reason they won't add Flyable French Mirage-2000 is because modding a new nation's modern 1990s avionics into a Flyable plane is as much work as creating a whole new flight sim.

The old 1995 Flanker sim to LOMAC has always assumed Cold War turning Hot War between Russia and Ukraine, with other states involved too. So simming Cold War turning Hot War is an old and successful idea.

Blackdog5555
01-18-2005, 07:31 PM
Check out Falcon 4.0 Super Pak 4.2 BMS2.0...

Hastatus
01-18-2005, 09:21 PM
We need Oleg to do a WW1 sim, and for the love of God I don't ever want to hear about another F-22 "Raptor" sim.

3.JG51_BigBear
01-18-2005, 09:29 PM
I was thinking that a Vietnam sim would be a logical step for Lock On. I know the game wasn't that popular when it came out but it is really a fantastic sim if you can tweak it properly and with the patches it became very stable. It would make a great platform for the Vietnam theatre.

Hydra444
01-18-2005, 09:31 PM
LMAO http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif Well said Black about the Raptor sims LOL

REDHAWK_1
01-19-2005, 06:16 AM
There was one made back in 1990 by Spectrum HoloByte, which is an old DOS Sim, which I still fly. The Title is The Flight of the Intruder, which came from the Movie of the same name. It was a very complex game and for the time period was very good. Now the Strike Fighters Project 1 also deals with Veit Nam. As for Wings Over Veit Nam I don't know as yet. I am going to buy it this weekend and see how it pans out.

DeerHunterUK
01-19-2005, 07:35 AM
Wings Over Vietnam is an evolution of Strike Fighters Project One. All the 3rd party aircraft created for SFP1 is compatible with WOV I believe. Unfortunately WOV hasn't been released yet over here but SFP1 is a pretty decent flight sim but has some multiplayer issues.

T1ff1e
01-22-2005, 07:25 PM
There used to be a Vietnam campaign on Jane's USNF 97.

nearmiss
01-22-2005, 08:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LEXX_Luthor:
No -- Vietnam flight sims can't sell today, because you can only fly one side with any Choice of planes. Same thing with a Korea flight sim.

A sim combining Korea, Vietnam, Middle East, India/Pakistan, and Cold War turning Hot War, and focusing in the years 1950-1970 would be of intense interest to gamers around the world--and would have simple avionics to model compared to a modern "uber" super-jet sim. A LOMAC developer posted in the lomac forum that the reason they won't add Flyable French Mirage-2000 is because modding a new nation's modern 1990s avionics into a Flyable plane is as much work as creating a whole new flight sim.

The old 1995 Flanker sim to LOMAC has always assumed Cold War turning Hot War between Russia and Ukraine, with other states involved too. So simming Cold War turning Hot War is an old and successful idea. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Korea not quite a Vietnam...

US fighters F-86s were flying against Soviet pilots in Mig Alley. It was Stalin's top secret air war, but still very much a war. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

It was the beginning of Jet air combat on scale far different than WW2. The Mig 15s and F-86s were using Cannons and the engagements were at very high speed for guns. This required very skillful pilots.

The North Korean border with Manchurian China just isn't a large enough battle field to keep player interest over time. So, I don't think Korean war has a lot to offer as standalone sim. I do think 1C:Maddox could tweak this series and have a Korean air war easy as any of the other add-ons, easier than PF I'd think.

Frankly, the jets bore me with all the details when the sims are really done correct. I have this penchant for realism that just keeps me from enjoying a sim, if it wouldn't make sense "real world". The navigation, comms, weapons systems, etc. are all big time complicated to my way of thinking. Not because I can't work through it and learn it well enough. I just don't want to go to that level of complication in a virtual aircraft situation. I'd prefer to just spend my time in the real world flying...IMO

Flying the Falcon 4.0 is probably the benchmark for jet simes with close to real simulation of Navigation, weapons systems and the overall sim experience. A hundred point pre-flight check list is just plain work, kinda leaves me cold. I'd say F 4.0 is just Flight Simulator with a combat twist.

World War 2 was a simpler time, the aircraft were viable, fast, hard hitting machines. The skillful pilots were well placed, and the engagements were in your face. WW2 simming is definitely NOT boring.

The WW I stuff is a couple steps above kite flying. By that I mean the aircraft don't have much physical stamina, the weapons were too simple and the flying too slow for me.

I hope 1C:Maddox keeps on with the Il2 series. If we had a competent mission builder tool this sim would rock like it === aint never. Mission Builders using all the objects and aircraft in the series and compiling battle scenarios of a complex nature with a highly interactive approach to play could be more exciting than anything we've experienced in a state of the art graphic environment.

My money is on this horse http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

hawkmeister
01-22-2005, 09:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nearmiss:
Frankly, the jets bore me with all the details when the sims are really done correct. I have this penchant for realism that just keeps me from enjoying a sim, if it wouldn't make sense "real world". The navigation, comms, weapons systems, etc. are all big time complicated to my way of thinking. Not because I can't work through it and learn it well enough. I just don't want to go to that level of complication in a virtual aircraft situation. I'd prefer to just spend my time in the real world flying...IMO

World War 2 was a simpler time, the aircraft were viable, fast, hard hitting machines. The skillful pilots were well placed, and the engagements were in your face. WW2 simming is definitely NOT boring.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I feel the same way. Although I love airplanes from all eras, and would love to have a PF-quality sim of Vietnam, Korean, Mideast, etc., I'm also not much into all the buttonology involved.

I've got LOMAC and love it very much, but actually only fly guns-only dogfights. Now that's a real challenge at those speeds! But I love the planes - F-15C, MiG-29, Su-27.

If Oleg's team put together WWI, Korea, Vietnam, etc. sims, I'd buy them all in a heartbeat - but still would fly guns-only in the jets. Well, Sidewinders in the gunless Phantoms out of neccessity - but at that point they weren't high-success weapons anyway. But a MiG-17? Oh you betcha! I'd die to get into one of those. Same with the Super Sabre, Crusader, or Skyhawk.

-Bill

LEXX_Luthor
01-22-2005, 10:44 PM
Hey nearmiss. Many steps step above a Better FMB would be a DCB--Dynamic Campaign Builder. Something to make it easy for 3rd Parties to create Dynamic Campaigns that can read combat results of air/ground combat and change the course of battles and [possibly] wars.

Maybe for BoB and Beyond.

nearmiss:: <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Korea not quite a Vietnam...

US fighters F-86s were flying against Soviet pilots in Mig Alley. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes, I was thinking of that. Korea Sim is mostly F~86/MiG~15 sim in a "hollywood" kind of way....never mind the dogfight servers. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

For ground attack, Korea sim offers little we don't have now. Corsair, IL~2, Yaks, P~51, B~29, etc...

Need 1950-1970 combat sim involving all nations--1950 start date would allow Profitable Korea addon pac.

Flyable B~47...yes http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

Nero111
01-23-2005, 02:49 AM
Flacon 4 with the Superpack addons or Freefalcon addon.
Korean theatre by default.
There simply is no better jet flight sim

ps: Ditto on the Raptor, we've had enough already. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

BruceEdwards
01-23-2005, 03:33 PM
The problem with modern combat jet sims is they keep forgetting to put a game in with the sim. As wonderful and accurate as the graphics and flight models in the Flanker and Lo-Mac games have been, they have never had much of an 'immersion factor'.

Sultan_of_Swing
01-23-2005, 06:37 PM
I agree with some of the above: I'd love to see Oleg &Co. do a WWI sim. It would be great fun. IMHO skip BoB. We can create that with the maps and planes we have (well, kindahttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif