PDA

View Full Version : Crew for a Type VIIb/2

Anton_Reinhold
08-26-2005, 10:35 PM
4 Officers: Watch/Flak/Deck Gun (Senior Lieutenant)
Helm/Machinist/Repair (Junior Lieutenant)
Watch/Flak/Torpedo (Sub-Lieutenant)
Helm/Machinist/Medic (Sub-Lieutenant)

16 Warrant Officers: 1 Gunner (C.S.W.O.)
2 Flak Gunners (1 S.W.O. and 1 W.O.)
4 Radiomen (1 C.S.W.O., 1 S.W.O., and 2 W.O.'s)
4 Machinists (1 C.S.W.O., 1 S.W.O., and 2 W.O.'s)
5 Torpedomen (1 C.S.W.O., 1 S.W.O., and 3 W.O.'s)

21 Seaman (All either Senior or Chief Seaman)

I have my crew basically divided into 3 groups as far as watches are concerned and there are 2 watches:

1 Watch Officer and 1 Helmsman Officer are on duty at all times on either watch
The Gunner, both Flak Gunners, and all the Torpedomen are in quarters until needed
2 Radiomen, a W.O. and either the C.S.W.O. or the S.W.O., are on duty per shift
2 Machinists, a W.O. and either the C.S.W.O. or the S.W.O., are on duty per shift

I chose to have 4 Officers, 16 Warrant Officers, and 21 Seaman because those are the maximum numbers that I can have aboard and have enough room for any off duty personnel to have a place to rest. This is most apparent when cruising underwater. usually during daylight hours of course. During those times, there will be 2 Officers and 3 Seaman on duty in the command room and 2 Warrant Officers with 6 Seaman on duty in the electric motor room. The aft quarters will have and off duty Helmsman Officer and the relief engine room crew of the other 2 Warrant Officers along with another 6 Seaman. The forward berthing compartment will be filled up with the rest of the crew along with the off duty Watch Officer. I always have a place for someone to rest and never seem to have a problem manning anything.

What do you all think? Any ideas for improvement and how do you all man your boats?

Anton Reinhold
Commanding Officer
U-52

Anton_Reinhold
08-26-2005, 10:35 PM
4 Officers: Watch/Flak/Deck Gun (Senior Lieutenant)
Helm/Machinist/Repair (Junior Lieutenant)
Watch/Flak/Torpedo (Sub-Lieutenant)
Helm/Machinist/Medic (Sub-Lieutenant)

16 Warrant Officers: 1 Gunner (C.S.W.O.)
2 Flak Gunners (1 S.W.O. and 1 W.O.)
4 Radiomen (1 C.S.W.O., 1 S.W.O., and 2 W.O.'s)
4 Machinists (1 C.S.W.O., 1 S.W.O., and 2 W.O.'s)
5 Torpedomen (1 C.S.W.O., 1 S.W.O., and 3 W.O.'s)

21 Seaman (All either Senior or Chief Seaman)

I have my crew basically divided into 3 groups as far as watches are concerned and there are 2 watches:

1 Watch Officer and 1 Helmsman Officer are on duty at all times on either watch
The Gunner, both Flak Gunners, and all the Torpedomen are in quarters until needed
2 Radiomen, a W.O. and either the C.S.W.O. or the S.W.O., are on duty per shift
2 Machinists, a W.O. and either the C.S.W.O. or the S.W.O., are on duty per shift

I chose to have 4 Officers, 16 Warrant Officers, and 21 Seaman because those are the maximum numbers that I can have aboard and have enough room for any off duty personnel to have a place to rest. This is most apparent when cruising underwater. usually during daylight hours of course. During those times, there will be 2 Officers and 3 Seaman on duty in the command room and 2 Warrant Officers with 6 Seaman on duty in the electric motor room. The aft quarters will have and off duty Helmsman Officer and the relief engine room crew of the other 2 Warrant Officers along with another 6 Seaman. The forward berthing compartment will be filled up with the rest of the crew along with the off duty Watch Officer. I always have a place for someone to rest and never seem to have a problem manning anything.

What do you all think? Any ideas for improvement and how do you all man your boats?

Anton Reinhold
Commanding Officer
U-52

lecek
08-27-2005, 03:42 PM
I load out my crew differently for each carrer but I do have an overall strategy.

I promote my officers as high as they will go.

Watch Officer gets Watch/flak/gunner.
General Officer gets Torpedoman /machinist /repair.
WO gets Helms/Torpedo/Medic
Nav and CE get Helms and then random. One gets repair.

Officers get first shots at medals and promotions. Watch Officer is highest followed by the command room 3. My general purpose officer is always last. With the intro of the German Cross medal, I no longer need to rest my officers.

The type IX has many petty officers to choose from and so I will stick to the VII whose loadout is more critical.

Given with a type VII in the 7th floatilla.
1 Medical
3 Torpedo
1 Machinist (I think)

In priority order I add.
1 Watch
1 radio
1 flak
1 gunner
1 Machinist (for a total of 2)
1 radio (for 2 total.)
1 repair
1 medic

This leaves about 4 P.O.'s left. I am currently trying for the first time adding 3 helms. My Command room box is always fully filled, but I want to try to see if adding helms P.O.'s increase performance. Since I have all the rest this is the best time to do the experiment.

In order of priority I hand out medals to P.O.'s like so:

Watch
Radio
(Currently helms here because of my experiment.)
Torpedo
Machine
Others

Anton_Reinhold
08-27-2005, 05:54 PM
Having Helmsman qualified Warrant Officers can make your boat respond faster to commands only because it CAN eliminate the delay caused by an officer repeating the order. I "think" that even if you have Helmsman certified Warrant Officers at the helm, if there is an Officer at the Chief Engineering position, you will still have the delay since they are not supposed to do anything without hearing the order from him. It does however take 3 Helmsman qualified W.O.'s to make make the green bar go to 100%, where as a single Helmsman qualified Officer can do the same thing. One thing I did not check was whether you would be able to do special commands such as releasing Bold decoys, going to silent running, etc. It would be interesting to know how it went if you do try it.
Watch certified Warrant Officers are another thing I chose to do away with since my Watch Officer and only 2 Seaman bring the conning tower's green bar up to 100%.
What could seem weird or excessive to some might be my having 4 Radiomen. Originally I only had 2 Radiomen along with a Medic and a Repairman, but with the addition of active sonar and radar I decided to replace the Medic and Repairman with 2 more Radiomen. Heck, the Medic and Repairman spent their time in the Radio/Sonar Room all the time anyway assisting the Radioman that was on duty. So far I have not needed a medic and the repairman really doesn't bring the grren bar up that much anyway on the Damage Control team bar so...

HeibgesU999
08-28-2005, 01:02 AM
I use the same ratio, but with 20 seamen instead of 21.

IWO Watch Helm Torp
LI Helm Mach Repair
IIWO Watch Gunner Flak
IIWO Watch Helm Repair

Machinists x 6
Torpedomen x 2
Radiomen x 2
Helmsmen x 2
Gunner x 1
Medic x 1
Watch x 2

Sailors x 20

In a type IX I would add 2 more machininsts, 1 more watchman, and 1 more sailor.