PDA

View Full Version : AC:R or Skyrim...

Warcav
11-10-2011, 07:36 PM
First off, I've played all of the AC games and it's been a blast to play all of them and the story is absolutely incredible. I've yet to be disappointed with the series.

Here's the problem... I can only afford one game. I've heard of how great Oblivion is, but I've never played it myself. People saying they've put in hundreds of hours into Oblivion plus Skyrim has multiple storylines you can go through depending on the decisions you make. Once again, I didn't play Oblivion so I don't know if Skyrim would be my "type" of game so-to-speak.

On the other hand AC:R is pretty much guaranteed to have a good story plus there's multiplayer to keep me entertained. I'm so torn.

Warcav
11-10-2011, 07:36 PM
First off, I've played all of the AC games and it's been a blast to play all of them and the story is absolutely incredible. I've yet to be disappointed with the series.

Here's the problem... I can only afford one game. I've heard of how great Oblivion is, but I've never played it myself. People saying they've put in hundreds of hours into Oblivion plus Skyrim has multiple storylines you can go through depending on the decisions you make. Once again, I didn't play Oblivion so I don't know if Skyrim would be my "type" of game so-to-speak.

On the other hand AC:R is pretty much guaranteed to have a good story plus there's multiplayer to keep me entertained. I'm so torn.

Jexx21
11-10-2011, 07:38 PM
For me, I'll go with the game I'm more used to first, and then get the game I'm not sure about.

For you, it'd be Revelations.

persiateddy95
11-10-2011, 08:08 PM
These type of questions on this forum are dump.

Obviously everyone is going to say ACR.

gamertam
11-10-2011, 08:12 PM
Assassin's Creed Revelation for me all the way. Based on one: Skyrim and previous titles are RPG which can takes long hours. If you have that kind of a time on your hand than by all means. I've been some what a fan of AC since AC2. So no brainer there.

Another thing, there are just too many great games waiting to be experinced than commit to just one game alone. Example are Batman Arkham City, Deus Ex Human Revolution and of course ACR. So again i have no problem with Skyrim, just i can't dedicate what time i have and misses out other gems.

question: you like long hours RPG games?

Sarari
11-10-2011, 08:46 PM
What kind of question is that? Do you know that we're in an AC website? :P

rileypoole1234
11-10-2011, 08:59 PM
I'm going to get both, and well Skyrim will no doubt be great, AC will always be the best for me. Just an all around better story and universe I think. If you ask me, out of the two I'd get AC, but if you have the means, get both.

Tatterz
11-10-2011, 09:43 PM
If you like RPGs, I'm sure skyrim won't disappoint. I played Oblivion and, while it was a damn cool game, everything just seemed like too much of a chore to me and the combat system was pretty bad (Though skyrims looks better). I think AC has more of a balance for people who can't or don't want to invest so much time into a lonely RPG. And AC's multiplayer is a huge selling point for me.
I don't mean to sound like I'm knocking Skyrim. I'll end up buying it once it goes down in price, but its just not much my cup of tea. I loved oblivion for a week and a half after it came out, and then after I got all of the achievements, the game just felt like such a chore and a bore.

Sparty2020
11-10-2011, 10:43 PM
I'm personally waiting for reviews. Bethesda has always been great in the RPG division but they have never truly gave me a game whose story is spectacular. Don't get me wrong, I love Fallout and Oblivion but after completing all the side quests and exploring everything I had little to no incentive to return to the game aside from DLC. The fact I'm on this forum clearly indicates I've played AC plenty of time.

Also system plays a big difference. I have a console so I can't install any of the endlessly awesome mods the community makes giving Skyrim a definitive lifespan (ie, once I beat it I'm done with it) but with AC I get access to multiplayer...

Like I said waiting for reviews to be 100% sure though

Assassinsyk
11-10-2011, 11:17 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by persiateddy95:
These type of questions on this forum are dump.

Obviously everyone is going to say ACR. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He knows that he should get AC, he just wants us to sell it to him. It's like when I walked into an Apple store and demanded that he'd convince me of getting an Apple TV.

OP: just flip a coin. Games are emotions, not math. The brief second the coin is in the air, you know what you're hoping for, and it's not gonna be measurable in gameplay hours or others' reviews.

SleezeRocker
11-10-2011, 11:32 PM
How can say tjis unbiasedly...

Ok... buy the game you know you will play, enjoy, and you're familiar with. If it's a trusted game, then you know it's just for you.

Me obviously im getting ACR, but at sametime, Skyrim does look really neat..but it's not in my main priority. I played Obvilion and personally.. it was alright but idk i lost interest and instead picked up Fallout.

but Skyrim looks intersting since conversations are dynamic (no zoom pans on NPC's and time stands still), new perk system instead of selecting 20 styles when you make your dude and weapons don't decay (after 10 wacks your weapons becomes blah) ^^.

Also between Skyrim and Zelda SKysword, sure you get more options in Skyrim...but I getting Zelda first since the Zelda series is my first favorite series (got me into gaming) so I have to make room for Skysword since it's a series I am familiar with and I know I will enjoy.

so it's up to you, rather buy something you know can possibly like and familiar with, or try something new (not saying it's bad) your not totally sure of?

LightRey
11-10-2011, 11:56 PM
flip a coin.

Altair00117
11-11-2011, 12:03 AM
Get ACR, then later if you still want skyrim then return ACR and get it. But ACR will not disappoint.

ghostferret
11-11-2011, 12:57 AM
My opinion is like the others on this forum, but from an odd perspective since my gaming experience is limited to Oblivion and the three AC titles. I've pre-ordered both ACR and Skyrim. I'll play ACR first, and I don't expect to even start Skyrim until after I've finished ACR SP (probably twice) and leveled up in MP. The reason is that I'm hooked on AC for the great story, engrossing characters, historic settings, and wonderful combat animations. Skyrim will be a long-term pleasure, with a slower pace and time spent on choosing how to equip my character, what to do next, what to buy and sell, etc. Skyrim is like hobby to work on. AC is like a piece of music play again and again with appreciation. If you love the way AC looks and feels, I would say go with it first and buy Skyrim later. But either way, you'll win.

Silvermoth
11-11-2011, 02:09 AM
I had the same problem as OP not because of lack of funds neccessarily but more that I want to pace myself.

So I decided to get Assassin's Creed Revelations first because I can enjoy the story of that quicker and because I want to find out the revelations as soon as possible and then settle down with Skyrim over Christmas and loose my mind.

Mad_Fox84
11-11-2011, 10:10 AM
I got Skyrim, though I still haven't completed Arkham City yet and Jurassic Park is out as well as Ac Revelations on Tuesday.
The problem isn't the funds, as I am getting both of them, but more to do with the lack of time. I still haven't figured out how I will have the time to play all these games this holiday season lol. Star Wars the old republic is out next month too.

Krayus Korianis
11-11-2011, 10:19 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LightRey:
flip a coin. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let fate decide.

Oatkeeper
11-11-2011, 11:23 AM
Im gonna assume you live in America for this. Rent Skyrim from Redbox for 2$. Its basically a 2$ demo where you can play as much of the game as you want for 24 hours. If you prefer Skyrim then by all means get it, there is a huge amount of content to dig into.

If you like the MP from Assassins Creed enough to play it regularly you might get more time out of that.

Personally Im skipping Skyrim for Revelations and Skyward Sword. Not to mention I have a stack of games I really want to complete including Mass Effect 2 and Ico HD

Ezio292012
11-11-2011, 12:08 PM
well your in ACR forum what youl get is alot of people telling you to get ACR http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Mutley_Rulz
11-11-2011, 12:15 PM
I chose Skyrim ;o
I'm getting Revelations from Christmas, but just bought Skyrim today.

2x Game of the Year Winning company's groundbreaking gameplay &gt; Repeated content with a few new additions.

Silvrslide
11-11-2011, 12:38 PM
Completely subjective to the person answering.

LightRey
11-11-2011, 12:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mutley_Rulz:
I chose Skyrim ;o
I'm getting Revelations from Christmas, but just bought Skyrim today.

2x Game of the Year Winning company's groundbreaking gameplay &gt; Repeated content with a few new additions. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I wouldn't post such things on an ACR forum if I were you.

Animuses
11-11-2011, 01:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mutley_Rulz:
2x Game of the Year Winning company's groundbreaking gameplay &gt; Repeated content with a few new additions. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
A few?

If you say so...

SleezeRocker
11-11-2011, 02:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Oatkeeper:

Personally Im skipping Skyrim for Revelations and Skyward Sword. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me too ^^
though if I have some $ to spare, I may consider going to Skyrim sometime after thanksgving...maybe depends how much I get into the online, and juggling sky Sword

tjbyrum1
11-11-2011, 02:27 PM
Well personally, I would choose AC Revelations.

I ain't all for that dragons, spells, and fireball crap and lizard stuff or whatever. 'Fantasy' elements never really amazed me.

Then again... you got a bit of that crap in AC. All that Apple of Eden, Temples, TWCB and whatnot... drives me crazy... but I guess it would be considered more along the lines of 'conspiracy' and 'religion' as compared to fantasy in Skyrim.

IrosoMeyi186
11-11-2011, 05:17 PM
Skyrim since All Ubisoft is doing to this game is reskinning it tweaking it on the MP and the story is'nt as long Id go with skyrim since i hear REALLLLY GREAT Feedback from it. But you would need to be interested in RPG's to really enjoy the best of skyrim http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

RangerRico
11-11-2011, 06:06 PM
I'm in the exact same situation, but I'm getting ACR instead of Skyrim. I'll wait til Tuesday for ACR, and til Christmas for Skyrim.

Chronomancy
11-11-2011, 08:00 PM
ACR, that is all.

Jexx21
11-11-2011, 08:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by IrosoMeyi186:
Skyrim since All Ubisoft is doing to this game is reskinning it tweaking it on the MP and the story is'nt as long Id go with skyrim since i hear REALLLLY GREAT Feedback from it. But you would need to be interested in RPG's to really enjoy the best of skyrim http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lol? All they are doing it is reskinning it? You have no idea how wrong you are..

Not to mention they are doing MUCH more than just tweaking the Multiplayer.

Quoting some stuff I said before..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">As for Revelations, it's keeping the new mechanics of Brotherhood, and expanding on them in a HUGE way. You have the improved Brotherhood system, which will provide you with multiple ways to recruit assassins and to get to know them. You can also assign them classes and weapons and customize them more, which is an awesome thing. Not to mention the missions you get to do with them when they reach Level 10 and another one when they reach Level 15. And you have the more extensive contract system, renamed Mediterranean Defense. You send your assassins to cities to degrade the Templar presence at them and put the Assassins up in their places, instead of just go on generic assignments. You also have an addition to the side mission system, with random quests. You can help out people move boxes, you can probably help them by being a delivery boy or beating up someone's husband like in AC2's side missions. Hell, maybe there will even be a homage to AC1 where Ezio has to spy on someone for someone else. Not to mention the exotic missions are returning, and they'll probably have improvements also. And then there are the dens, which are the new Borgia towers, and they are improved in the way that the Templars can take them back, and you can defend them in Den Defense. And the dual wielding system of Brotherhood is returning, better than ever, with the primary and secondary weapon wheels, where you can pair any primary weapon with any secondary weapon.

As for the completely new additions, the hook blade and the bombs, they can do a lot. The hook blade can be used in combat, it can pull scaffolding down, it can be used to climb faster, it can be used to pick pocket faster (according to what Yusuf said in a video), and it can also be used to navigate the city faster with the zip lines. The bombs are an awesome addition to combat, stealth, and are just fun to play around with (from what I've seen). I mean, you gotta love throwing a coin bomb in the middle of a crowd. So bombs are GREAT for tactics and strategy, and may just bring a level of more strategic play that a lot of people want. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

EzioAssassin51
11-12-2011, 05:27 AM
EDIT: http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Animuses:
A few?

If you say so... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you saying there's hardly any new additions or there are a lot more new additions?

Chronomancy
11-12-2011, 05:40 AM
I actually just played Skyrim and I must say this is quite a hard choice.

I still stick to my first post and say ACR, reason being Skyrim doesn't have a multiplayer and once you finish the story it could get very boring, whereas ACR has a multiplayer unlike any other.

Ultimately it's up to you no one can make this decision for you.

Dag_B
11-12-2011, 06:05 AM
Uh, hard question, I bought both games.
Hm, I guess I would've prefered Skyrim as I loved Morrowind and Oblivion. But I agree with Jexx: If I had to choose I would take the one I know and buy the unknown one later (maybe when the price drops).

Jexx21
11-12-2011, 07:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by EzioAssassin51:
EDIT: http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you :P

I posted that a while ago when I was in a discussion with kriegerdesgottes, and I thought it would be useful here :P.

LaCava1
11-12-2011, 08:41 AM
I was able to save money for both, but for you...

It depends. If you've played any other games in each series (which I assume you have), pick it based on what you liked more.

CFord664
11-12-2011, 03:33 PM
You have to ask? AC:R.

freddie_1897
11-12-2011, 06:35 PM
Comparing ACR to skyrim is like comparing Mozart to pink floyd, it depends on your taste.

Altair661
11-12-2011, 11:05 PM
Well I'm getting both, I couldn't live with myself not getting the next Assassin's Creed. But so far, Skyrim is really good. I'm not sure that it lives up to ALL of the hype it's been getting, but it is rather addicting. The main thing is just that they've added so much more detail to the graphics and the world. Sometime Dragon's can be annoying when fighting 1 on 1.

Overall, Skyrim makes a ton of different changes and tweaks that really make it a great successor to Oblivion. My top key things are
1) The Combat - They've really made the combat better, and it's a little but more strategical. You can't just mash the triggers. And the added "Voices" are awesome.

2) Favorites menu/Dual hands- The favorites menu add a much faster menu lay out. You choose your favorite stuff and you simply push the "up" button and it shows it. You click LT for you left hand and RT for the right hand, choose your shout and it takes mere seconds. Not to mention the sword/spell combo is awesome.

3) Magic/Leveling Up- In the beginning you only choose a race and start. You level up by what you choose to do, constantly sneak and use bows, that's what you rank up in, no classes or perks. Also, the magic is much better and fluent in this one. And putting two fire spells together to make one mega blast brings forth great benefits.

Yeah...Skyrim's awesome. But Revelation's is all about story and I can't wait to put Skyrim away for a week or two (I'm already level 16) to dig back into some AC.

johnnyhayek
11-13-2011, 04:15 AM
Getting ACR first for the story and cause I miss assassinating people. Skyrim in December or Christmas cause Skyrim is a game that you have to just sit back and relax and take your time with in order to enjoy, and not a game that you can rush. AC series and Oblivion are my favorite games ever, so I like both equally for what they are. But ACR I think is best for this time while Skyrim should be left for another time.

THUNDERJET429ci
11-13-2011, 12:12 PM
skyrim sucks the guy at gamestop convinced me to buy it. honestly ive never been this disappointed with a game . ive seen ps2 games with better graphics it literally gave me a headache just looking at it. the game itself is ALOT like fallout except no guns and a few other obvious things . i really cant see what people like about elder scrolls .

kudos17
11-13-2011, 01:17 PM
Got Skyrim on release and I'm loving it so far; second best RPG I've ever played (the best was Dragon Age: Origins). I can see myself spending many, many hours in its world. Though even with all to look forward to in that game, I'm still heavily anticipating Revelations.

If I had to choose, I'd say Revelations, simply for the loyalty I have in the series. It has yet to disappoint me, and even though it will probably not offer me as many gameplay hours as Skyrim will, it is the quality, not quantity, that matters. And Revelations' story, gameplay, and background history is quality indeed.