PDA

View Full Version : Constructive Criticism for Developers (PC Director's Cut Edition)

dontos
02-15-2009, 10:10 AM
Room for Improvement:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>Too much repetitive NPC commentary. If more varied commentary is not practical, then limit the duration of repetitive commentary, such as preacher sermons, speeches and citizen harassment. This repetitive commentary was irritating.
<LI>Too many mentally ill "shoving" citizens. One or two on occasion would be OK. Had to kill many of them to get them out of the way and actually felt bad about it. Too many begging ladies also.
<LI>Thugs looked out of place and added nothing to my experience. Highlighting pickpocketing targets is enough for recognition.
<LI>There were way too many combat enemies near the end. It was so tiring and frustrating, I ended up using a trainer utility to cheat through the sequence leading to Robert's assassination and cheated through part of the final sequence. It is one thing to be challenged and another to be frustrated to the point of wanting to cheat. Perhaps at least two difficulty levels would have been a good solution.
<LI>An option for gore, including blood persistence, bleeding and even dismemberment would be a plus. Just being honest and know many others feel the same. Doing and seeing things we normally don't do or see in real life, without the normal tragic consequences, is part of the appeal of these games. Also, most have at least some morbid curiosity. This is one reason why horror movies are so popular.
[/list]
Change these things and the game gets a 5 of 5! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

dontos
02-15-2009, 10:10 AM
Room for Improvement:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>Too much repetitive NPC commentary. If more varied commentary is not practical, then limit the duration of repetitive commentary, such as preacher sermons, speeches and citizen harassment. This repetitive commentary was irritating.
<LI>Too many mentally ill "shoving" citizens. One or two on occasion would be OK. Had to kill many of them to get them out of the way and actually felt bad about it. Too many begging ladies also.
<LI>Thugs looked out of place and added nothing to my experience. Highlighting pickpocketing targets is enough for recognition.
<LI>There were way too many combat enemies near the end. It was so tiring and frustrating, I ended up using a trainer utility to cheat through the sequence leading to Robert's assassination and cheated through part of the final sequence. It is one thing to be challenged and another to be frustrated to the point of wanting to cheat. Perhaps at least two difficulty levels would have been a good solution.
<LI>An option for gore, including blood persistence, bleeding and even dismemberment would be a plus. Just being honest and know many others feel the same. Doing and seeing things we normally don't do or see in real life, without the normal tragic consequences, is part of the appeal of these games. Also, most have at least some morbid curiosity. This is one reason why horror movies are so popular.
[/list]
Change these things and the game gets a 5 of 5! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Vendetta_Z
02-15-2009, 02:19 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/disagree.gif

How long will it take you new guys to figure this out? Ubi$oft never looks at the forums. Moderators arn't developers. And Ubi$oft customer support is holds a Guiness world record, and I am NOT talking about the best.

caswallawn_2k7
02-15-2009, 02:32 PM
horror movies suck and ddont even look slightly realistic games are the same. also you claim lots of people want this but it has been prooven time and time again that people would prefer a good story instead of just playing a game for the sake of violence.

dontos
02-15-2009, 09:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vendetta_Z:
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/disagree.gif

How long will it take you new guys to figure this out? Ubi$oft never looks at the forums. Moderators arn't developers. And Ubi$oft customer support is holds a Guiness world record, and I am NOT talking about the best. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ubisoft is in a very competitive industry. My guess is that they are very interested in what their customers like and don't like about their games. It is in their business interest to keep the majority of their customers as satisfied as possible so you will continue to purchase their games. My guess is that they do look at the forums to at least get an idea about what the general consensus is regarding their games and consider this when developing new titles. Perhaps they get their feedback in another way, but to say they don't pay attention I think is off the mark. Let me put it this way, if they don't pay attention, they are being foolish and I doubt they are foolish.

dontos
02-15-2009, 09:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by caswallawn_2k7:
horror movies suck and ddont even look slightly realistic games are the same. also you claim lots of people want this but it has been prooven time and time again that people would prefer a good story instead of just playing a game for the sake of violence. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A lot of people don't like horror movies, but an awful lot do. The remake of Friday the 13th just had a HUGE weekend here in the States. If you are unfamiliar, Friday the 13th is a "slasher" with lots of blood and gore.

Of course most people like a good story, but most also like their combat games to include blood and gore, realistic or otherwise.

caswallawn_2k7
02-16-2009, 08:25 AM
actualy you will find games by leaving out over the top violence keep a lower age rating and make more parents willing to let the kids play the game meaning they sell alot more copies of a game that is rated for younger people than a game that is rated for adults.

the simple fact is the majority of people who want bloody and violent games are under the adult rating the game would then get. I have had kids come up to me in games stores before asking me to get them games like GTA as thier parents wont buy it for them and they cant pass for the age rating. were by leaving the fighting but removing the gore they drop the age raiting meaning younger people who want to play it can buy it and people who are under the age have more chance of thier parents getting it for them.

all software and movies is aimed at a certain age group that is why they broaght in a new age raiting in the UK with the first spiderman as they wanted the film so young people could view it as that was the main veiwing audiance. but due to the violence the UK wanted to rate it 12 and when they film makers protested it they brought in the 12a raiting so younger people could see it as long as they were with an adult.

so why would they servearly limit the games audience by making it a higher rating than the original and making it so less parents are willing to allow thier kids to play it? they want to make money so they wont just change the game to keep a minority happy they will keep it at a state were they can have the largest possible target audience.

dontos
02-16-2009, 05:16 PM
Well, you certainly have a point there. However, here in the US, AC has an M rating, which means 17+, so they won't hurt themselves by including more gore here in the States. It sounds like the UK rating system is more precise and they would reduce the market by adding more gore. However, it is already fairly bloody and gruesome. In any case, they could add it as an option that you would have to turn on, similar to the current blood option.

caswallawn_2k7
02-17-2009, 08:02 AM
actualy in america there is a raiting above M but no game store will stock games with that raiting its why manhunt had to be editied as while they could sell it no store would stock it.