PDA

View Full Version : Why do people fly on HL ?

Shrike_UK
11-10-2004, 07:05 AM
This is just a question with some facts, and my opinion, so please no flaming, if you have different fact and opinion please tell me.

I have been flying for 4 years on UBI, ive tried HL because everyone serious about getting into squads goes there. Im only on HL now, i made the transition last month http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif , because i had to, to join a squad and have squad tourneys, i have made my own squad on Ubi in the past, but we never have opposition. Why squads go to HL is a mystery to me. HL is lacking severely in functionality (my opinion) compared to Ubi and is sometimes very frustrating to use with no descriptions of what buttons do, and commands that you have to type in which are in a manual you need to read first, instead of having buttons or option menus, it also has annoying player lists that reset your list scroller to the top each time, so you have trouble selecting anyone, also, there are 2 lists, 1 for ingame, one for not ingame. i do not understand why this is done, you have to look for same person on 2 lists, ubi just 1, but despite all this it has 5 times more people on it for some bizarre reason. Okay, some may argue that theres not many commands to remember, but hey, that not many buttons for the developer to make then is it, why should i have to remember any commands? also, version should be shown next to room so you dont have to click on each one to find a PF combined. either that or people should really be naming ther rooms better saying what exact verion theyre running.

I only found 1 person with a fair arguement for HL over UBI and that was because they was using a router, and UBI is not very router freindly thus they cannot host, nobody has ever come up with an argument where HL functionality is different or better.

I am a professional programmer and i would offer to assist upgrade the hyperlobby, for free, to a newer platform which will allow for better functionality, but Jinak of HL wont be interested, because he knows how it works currently thus can change it within his own knowledge, get someone else involved and it could become too far different from what he knows to maintain it afterwards.

Catch 22, why dont some squads come back to UBI ?

Shrike_UK
11-10-2004, 07:05 AM
This is just a question with some facts, and my opinion, so please no flaming, if you have different fact and opinion please tell me.

I have been flying for 4 years on UBI, ive tried HL because everyone serious about getting into squads goes there. Im only on HL now, i made the transition last month http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif , because i had to, to join a squad and have squad tourneys, i have made my own squad on Ubi in the past, but we never have opposition. Why squads go to HL is a mystery to me. HL is lacking severely in functionality (my opinion) compared to Ubi and is sometimes very frustrating to use with no descriptions of what buttons do, and commands that you have to type in which are in a manual you need to read first, instead of having buttons or option menus, it also has annoying player lists that reset your list scroller to the top each time, so you have trouble selecting anyone, also, there are 2 lists, 1 for ingame, one for not ingame. i do not understand why this is done, you have to look for same person on 2 lists, ubi just 1, but despite all this it has 5 times more people on it for some bizarre reason. Okay, some may argue that theres not many commands to remember, but hey, that not many buttons for the developer to make then is it, why should i have to remember any commands? also, version should be shown next to room so you dont have to click on each one to find a PF combined. either that or people should really be naming ther rooms better saying what exact verion theyre running.

I only found 1 person with a fair arguement for HL over UBI and that was because they was using a router, and UBI is not very router freindly thus they cannot host, nobody has ever come up with an argument where HL functionality is different or better.

I am a professional programmer and i would offer to assist upgrade the hyperlobby, for free, to a newer platform which will allow for better functionality, but Jinak of HL wont be interested, because he knows how it works currently thus can change it within his own knowledge, get someone else involved and it could become too far different from what he knows to maintain it afterwards.

Catch 22, why dont some squads come back to UBI ?

9th_Trespa
11-10-2004, 07:24 AM
i dont have that trouble u mention on HL, i find it easy to find peeps , once u add them to ur friendslist.
also in HL you have different rooms for big wars f.i. VEF , VOF etc. which used to be great fun flying.

Warlordimi
11-10-2004, 07:37 AM
HL is much more reliable to use than UBI.com. And above all, you don't have to sign up with Ubi http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Besides that, because it is the only server that gathers all simmers in only one place. And it is quite easy to use.

strelnik_Sipi
11-10-2004, 07:51 AM
The answer is easy shrike. Players go where they find the best servers. Right now its HL. Second reason is HL started before IL2 so lots of ppl are oldtimers who used to play other games there and atracted new players. The third reason is UBI game service is ****. Problems with hosting, connections, gui.

Jambock__01
11-10-2004, 07:55 AM
HL is a light, fast and very SIMPLE. We can talk to Jiri easy cose he is a flightsim fan like us.

HL Rocks!!

Osirisx9
11-10-2004, 08:16 AM
Allot of people use HL because thats where 99 percent of the online IL2 community go to fly. Its more like the herd effect more than anything else. There is nothing spetacular or special about HL other than its just the local ACEs+PF watering hole. People like to go where there is a crowd. Its also pretty easy to use. I personaly prefer the "All Seeing Eye" and when the PF dedicated server package is released I will only be going through the Warbirds of Prey interface exclusivly. Its allot more efficient and is exclusive only to Warbirds Of Prey plus there is nothing running in the background to gum up your machine and consume resorces. Warbirds Of Prey will also be a private service for serious sim jocks who dont like to fly with the occasional jerk or two year old that visits some of the dogfight servers on HL and ruin the experience for everyone else. These individuals will do dumb things like shooting up their own team mates,and realeasing their bombs on the tarmac just to kill themselves and anyone on their team who is parked near them.

RAF238thOsiris

269GA-Maxmars
11-10-2004, 08:27 AM
A big plus is also the possibility to see in advance who is going to fly for RED and BLUE.

This makes life very easy in tournaments, or "online wars", where usually you need X RED guys vs. Y BLUE guys.

Gunner_361st
11-10-2004, 08:35 AM
Osirisx9, what is this "Warbirds of Prey" service you are talking about? I consider myself a serious IL-2/PF fan and am always looking for higher difficulty setting Dogfight and Cooperative servers. You've garnered my interest.

weasel75
11-10-2004, 08:36 AM
For dogfights people also use different game-broswer (e.g. ASE).
This browser have better filter-options (one can add new filters), but do just work for dogfights.

HL shines for COOPs and the online-wars, anything that needs a lot of chat before the game starts. HL is a good lobby for doing so http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

JG53Frankyboy
11-10-2004, 08:58 AM
i tried UBI 3 years ago , it didnt work - tried it never again - and will never try again.

calling HL difficult, well , i think the game itself (flying anf fighting in that things ) is harder to learn http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Equilizer
11-10-2004, 09:04 AM
UBI.com is a virus.

Osirisx9
11-10-2004, 09:09 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gunner_361st:
Osirisx9, what is this "Warbirds of Prey" service you are talking about? I consider myself a serious IL-2/PF fan and am always looking for higher difficulty setting Dogfight and Cooperative servers. You've garnered my interest. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for asking. We are a dedicated group that knows and flys with each other every night. The ranks are growing and we are getting new converts everyday. The server us running 24/7 and the difficulty setings are very reasonable. We have Very short friendly Icons for name and Type of aircraft and Foe Icons are set to extremely close. Speed bar only indicates you heading. To get the IP for the server just use the ASE ( All seeing eye) and look for "Warbirds of Prey PF" If you dont has the ASE you can get the IP via Teamspeak. The teamspeak IP is 69.9.37.146. Once you are in the Warbirds of Prey teammspeak just click on the Warbirds of Prey ready room and read the gameserver IP under topic. When the dedicated server is released we will be using our interface to join the gameserver.

RAF238thOsiris

crazyivan1970
11-10-2004, 10:52 AM
First thing first... if you guys don`t like UBI.com it`s a matter fo personal preferences, don`t slam it, ok? Keep it to yourself. Whatever it is it`s there.

As far as Hyperlobby concerned, it`s the most user friendly interface i have seen and not resource consumpting too.

As far as BOP goes, too bad. I enjoyed the server.

csThor
11-10-2004, 11:04 AM
UBI requires you to have ActiveX activated which is something most people (at least those who have a bit of PC knowledge) will not do. It's tantamount to get swamped by Trojans and other virus stuff which use ActiveX as backdoor.

Osirisx9
11-10-2004, 11:17 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by crazyivan1970:
First thing first... if you guys don`t like UBI.com it`s a matter fo personal preferences, don`t slam it, ok? Keep it to yourself. Whatever it is it`s there.

As far as Hyperlobby concerned, it`s the most user friendly interface i have seen and not resource consumpting too.

As far as BOP goes, too bad. I enjoyed the server. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is nothing too-bad at all about Warbirds of Prey moving away from HL . Its the same top shelf machine and we design our missions using the same format. We are running our same limited Icon settings, The only thing we did was take it off of hyperlobby which we planned to do from the very begining. We also have our own programmer who built our interface that we have tested and are very pleased with. I think that its OK for the community to know that there are other options besides HL. We are looking for a certain crowd of pilots and our ranks are growing. We all trust each other and we know that the rules will be followed. This is one reason why we are able to leave the externals on for carrier opps and know that not a single pilot will exploit the f6 key for example. I've informed the community about how they may get the IP to our game server so that they may join by IP if they like. And one of the ways is to just PM me and I will give it to you. Our clientel returns every night and are very pleased with the servers performance and keep comming back for more. This is even before we take the wraps totally off of Warbirds Of Prey and without going through HL. This I say is a very good thing for what we want to accomplish.

Respectfully
RAF238thOsiris

crazyivan1970
11-10-2004, 11:33 AM
The reason i said too bad.. is because BOP was my favorite server, besides my own http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

TgD Thunderbolt56
11-10-2004, 12:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by crazyivan1970:
The reason i said too bad.. is because BOP was my favorite server, besides my own http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can still fly there Ivan. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Personally, I'm excited about it and have been there a bit myself. The pilots are good and the flying fun.

TB

Shrike_UK
11-10-2004, 12:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jambock__01:
HL is a light, fast and very SIMPLE. We can talk to Jiri easy cose he is a flightsim fan like us.

HL Rocks!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for all the replies everybody http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif) , yes, HL certainly does have a smaller footprint, and yes, come to think of it i havent seen it crash yet! Osirisx9: good luck on wbop, sounds very interesting alternative, i think i'll give it a go if thats where the serious guys go http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif, i only hope if its as good as you say that we could get some big squads go there to help shift the tide a little. theres a lot of HL pilots to move.

i certainly feel a lot better now about HL hearing your comments, and i hope that others who were also wonderring whether HL or ubi is better can guage their opinions on good depth of the comments from the experienced and mature users in this thread http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

&lt;S!&gt; fellow pilots!

rummyrum
11-10-2004, 01:22 PM
No one has directly said this but I will. In general the caliber pilot is higher at HL servers. Sure there are good ones at UbI (I guess, been years since I use to fly on the TX server there). Better players make you better.

Osirisx9
11-10-2004, 02:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shrike_UK:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jambock__01:

HL Rocks!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for all the replies everybody http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif) , yes, HL certainly does have a smaller footprint, and yes, come to think of it i havent seen it crash yet! Osirisx9: good luck on wbop, sounds very interesting alternative, i think i'll give it a go if thats where the serious guys go http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif, i only hope if its as good as you say that we could get some big squads go there to help shift the tide a little. theres a lot of HL pilots to move.

&lt;S!&gt; fellow pilots! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

HL has its place and Warbirds Of Prey was never meant to be its replacement and I dont think it ever will. Warbirds Of Prey will have a different feel and atmosphere compaired to HL.

RAF238thOsiris

Ketalar
11-10-2004, 04:06 PM
Osirisx9:
I can't figure out how to PM you, I'm just too tired right now. Could you please e-mail me info about the "new and improved" Warbids of Prey? I really enjoyed flying with the gang that frequented your server. My address is bozomd(at)hotmail(dot)com. Just don't copy-and-paste the address, 'cause I made it spam-safe.

Thanks!

VW-IceFire
11-10-2004, 04:16 PM
Why HyperLobby over UBI?

1) There is more community at HL than there is at UBI.com. All the major servers, all the big and small names, everyone is pretty much there.

2) HL does not have a massive memory leak or a bloated memory size that UBI.com does. Infact, the UBI.com software I removed once I discovered it was the cause of three quarters of my connection trouble. Connecting to servers on HL is plenty smoother than UBI.com. Unless they have improved UBI.com in the last year...I'm never going back.

3) My squadron flies there.

4) HL is simple, starts quickly, gets me going, and thats all I want. No fancy sidebar friends list, no fancy this interface or that interface...I want it to work, I want it to be simplem, and I want just enough features to make it worth it. HL has that...UBI.com is bloated in this respect. If you like tons of features then ok...thats great http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

So there's why. UBI.com has to be improved for me to go back. I'd gladly fly both...but not when it doesn't work properly.

TAW_BlueDevil
11-10-2004, 05:01 PM
Well I was one of those old timers that flew in the old and defunkt (defunkt even when it was running LOL those that flew there know what I mean) JCN lobby in WW2F. It was out of that that HL came to life and started serving the gaming community.

I got IL2 when it came out and was in HL with it and my squad at the time. I did explore UBI and found that the interface and community of HL was superior. I have since tried Ubi again and found that little has changed. Also many people new to the sim go there, and many of the kids go there because of lack of control.

The largest reason was what I have experienced over the last few days. I took a break from flying for a while. During that time I lost contact with several good friends during that time. They changed squads, and I also changed squads and callsigns. Just as I was trying to get in touch with them, they all came into HL and we were able to catch up and picked up where we left off.

HL with it often being full, compared to Ubi's minimal people, helps create more community feel. Many times I will go into hl just to relax and chat while I work on other things.

As others said the inferface is simply and doesnt bear a load on a PC. I used to fly IL2 through launching in HL with 4 people and a respectable amount of AI and AAA with a 14K-18K real speed connection and I never encountered any lag at all. Part of this was due to the quality of IL2, the other the minimal load of HL as an interface on my PC.

MrOblongo
11-10-2004, 06:28 PM
For me the reason is quite simple...
To play in Ubi i needed to go to the Il2setup and change the network ip everytime i wanted to play or it say "Connection Failed"... Plain simple, dont need to do that in HL http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif.

And after all now im used to it and there are a lot of servers/players/squadrons to play with.

Slammin_
11-10-2004, 10:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

"i think i'll give it a go if thats where the serious guys go http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif, i only hope if its as good as you say that we could get some big squads go there to help shift the tide a little. theres a lot of HL pilots to move.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you on a mission? I'll go to ubi.com if you pay me $30 per month.

Atomic_Marten
11-10-2004, 10:09 PM
They fly for various reasons. Most of them fly for fun, but there's also decent percentage of other, weird guys. That's my opinion on thread title, for else matters of posters thread I don't know.

Hendley
11-10-2004, 10:23 PM
Said this before, but HL does not work on Asian-language systems, which means everyone playing off a Chinese or Japanese OS is excluded from that particular community. This is even more of an issue now that PF is out.

HL has become the de facto default choice for onliners, but until that long-standing bug is fixed, it is a very poor choice IMHO.

OldMan____
11-11-2004, 10:54 AM
Just fly at HL because I never found a serevr on UBI with ping under 700 ms