PDA

View Full Version : Deflection shooting while in cockpit view

MrQBerrt
11-04-2004, 07:09 PM
I'm a fairly new player and I'm trying to get off of the wonder woman view. However, I have two big problems with the cockpit view. The first is just my whining, feel free to ignore until the next paragraph. I keep loosing the other players behind a cockpit strut for several seconds on end. What on earth. IRL, it would be incredibly easy to see around a strut by moving your head. This drives me insane when stall fighting and I'm barely haning on to the turn and my oponent dissapears, so I have to change view angles whilst hanging on to the turn.

On to the real question. After I finally out turn my opponent, assuming that ever happens. I'll have the guy under my line of sight but comming up into my crosshairs. On unlimmited ammo, I hold the trigger down while he goes through and I get a great hit (with a high percentage of hitting the engine or the canopy). But when I'm trying to conseve, how do I tell when to start shooting. I can't see the guy unless I let up on my turn and then there goes my whole line. If I wait until I can see him he is usually out of my sights before the bullets get there, and if I shoot before I see him I waste a ton of ammo. Any suggestions?

MrQBerrt
11-04-2004, 07:09 PM
I'm a fairly new player and I'm trying to get off of the wonder woman view. However, I have two big problems with the cockpit view. The first is just my whining, feel free to ignore until the next paragraph. I keep loosing the other players behind a cockpit strut for several seconds on end. What on earth. IRL, it would be incredibly easy to see around a strut by moving your head. This drives me insane when stall fighting and I'm barely haning on to the turn and my oponent dissapears, so I have to change view angles whilst hanging on to the turn.

On to the real question. After I finally out turn my opponent, assuming that ever happens. I'll have the guy under my line of sight but comming up into my crosshairs. On unlimmited ammo, I hold the trigger down while he goes through and I get a great hit (with a high percentage of hitting the engine or the canopy). But when I'm trying to conseve, how do I tell when to start shooting. I can't see the guy unless I let up on my turn and then there goes my whole line. If I wait until I can see him he is usually out of my sights before the bullets get there, and if I shoot before I see him I waste a ton of ammo. Any suggestions?

juan_mol
11-04-2004, 07:19 PM
My advice is:
Shoot only when you are certain that you can hit the target. Use full deflection snapshots (less than half a second) only to maybe scare an opponent who is chasing one of your teammates. To down a plane allways wait until you have an almost 0 deflection shot and the enemy is really close. Try to aim at the wings, it's harder (less area to aim at) but you can rip one off with a well placed shot.

To track the enemy around use your hat switch (if you have one) to pan the view. It's hard at first but with practice you manage to predict where a plane should be. Allways play with Cockpit Always On turned on so you can't fall into temptation to use the no cockpit view.

Athosd
11-04-2004, 08:03 PM
Firing at a target under your nose is always going to need guess work and lots of rounds wasted.

However, you can take some of the guess work/ammo wastage out of the situation by using dead reckoning to figure when he will cross your line of fire - if you know he will be there within 1 second then fire only a 1-2 second burst. If low on cannon ammo use only MGs - as these will still be very effective if they strike the top of the engine/crew compartments.

For the most part though it is best to use your advantage to get a better shot.

Cheers

Athos

Atomic_Marten
11-04-2004, 08:26 PM
I would give you only one advice; stick to the *one* plane. That is quick and best way to learn in short period.

If you switch from plane to plane, you will never get the best out of it, and by saying that I do not mean only deflection shooting. While fairly the same on the all a/c (def.shooting), differences are in spite of that similarities too big.(speed of bullets are different, position of armament etc.).

If you do not have your favouite a/c (I doubt that http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif), I would reccomend late war planes (especially if you go online often). So best choices are Bf109GAS-K4 series, P47D27, P51D (fantastic elevator), Fw190A9/D9, KI84. Choose and practice.(if you have PF, your choices are larger) http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

NAFP_supah
11-04-2004, 09:39 PM
manouver into a better position for firing. Dont take snapshots, mostly their just a waste of ammo. Extreme aspect shots I just pass by unless I REALLY need to get a few hits to make life hard for the enemy. Mainly fire from their 6 with some slight relative elevation from about 300 meters. Thats the sweet spot.

MrQBerrt
11-04-2004, 11:14 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm slowly making my way to more realistic settings. I was an occasional flyer on non-realistic settings when I saw someone suggest using a mouse in the left hand to control the views. The game completely opened up as I could now track planes and see around me. Now I'm playing everyday and slowly getting better. (I've still only had about 8 kills and I've probably been downed 50 times or so.) I'm trying to find a plane I like. So far I like the Yak9UT, the LA-7, the F4-U and the Spitfire. The problem is that each server I get into only allows a few planes and they are hardly ever the same ones. Except for the new carrier servers which all pretty much have the same thing. I don't like the German planes because the view out of the cockpit seems tiny. Anyway, thanks again for the suggestions.

Snootles
11-04-2004, 11:17 PM
Generally my tactic is to use the MG's to line up a shot and let loose with the cannon when I feel confident about not wasting my ammo.

BinaryFalcon
11-05-2004, 08:46 AM
Oddly enough, high angle/deflection and snapshots are where I'm most accurate and tend to be most effective. Coming in at low angles from behind I have a tough time hitting well.

Anyway...

First off, you need to learn how to lead your target. By that I mean that you need to get a very good feel for how much lead to pull at a given range and speed. Once you've got a good feeling for that, the fact that you can't always see your target won't matter so much.

I'll tend to drop in behind the turning target, get a small amount of lead on him so he's in my sights and still in view. I'll pull with him in the turn and match rates (hold him in one place in my view) for about half a second or so. Long enough that I get a good feel for how hard he's turning and how hard I'm turning to match him. The key to this is keeping track of how hard/far you're pulling back on the stick as you match rates with the target and knowing how quickly your aircraft responds.

Once I've matched rates it's fairly easy from there. I pull back more on the stick until I've got the correct amount of lead based on his last known vector and position (do this by time, in the same way you can pass a car on the road and know based on your speed and theirs exactly when you've cleared them, without having to look), and once I'm there I immediately relax pressure on the stick until I'm back at the amount of control input I was using when I was matching rates with the target while it was in sight. I'll fire a short burst or two (half a second or so for each, max) and then relax pressure again to bring the target back into view and see the results (and to make sure he's still going where I think he is).

Adjust and repeat until you've shot the target down. Once you get the feel for it, it takes even less ammo than low angle rear aspect shots. When you're really in practice it's kind of neat knowing that after the target disappears from sight, the next time you'll see it again it'll be in flames on its way down.

Mulleteer
11-05-2004, 09:40 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BinaryFalcon:
Oddly enough, high angle/deflection and snapshots are where I'm most accurate and tend to be most effective. Coming in at low angles from behind I have a tough time hitting well.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I find this true too, I think it's because in high deflection turn fighting the enemy flight path is most predictable. Barrel rolling is most irritating maneuver enemy can do, makes them very very hard to hit at least for me.

weasel75
11-05-2004, 09:59 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NAFP_supah:
manouver into a better position for firing. Dont take snapshots, mostly their just a waste of ammo. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mhmm.. I dont agree on that. Snapshots on high attack-angle give you big chances to get the plane down with just a few bullets. Try 109F2/4 against P-40. From dead 6o'clock level you will have to chew a lot with those little MGs (or use F4's cannon). From above, one burst into the engine, and the P-40 will go down in flames.
It takes more "skill" (or luck), but you will need less ammo.
Same for bombers - from 6 o'clock you fly directly towards the gunners, here is some snapshot-skill needed too. But from 3 or 9 o'clock you may also hit internal weapons, crew or other crucial parts.

In low-ammo planes as the 109F, whenever I am at 6 o'clock I fire a short burst towards enemy, waiting for him to pull up or to bank .. that way his aircraft becomes more exposed.
That is different with FW190 and P47 (lot of ammo for both planes), but still, the skill on snapshots is needed, cause on Boom and Zoom you pass very fast (just time for a single burst), and you do so rarely from straight 6 o'clock.

S! - W75

PS: "Hans-Joachim Marseille" was the ace who became famous for the skill to down enemys with very few bullets.

juan_mol
11-05-2004, 11:34 AM
When engaging bombers you are right weasel. The six o'clock positin is too dangerous. I ussually come in fast from their 4 o'clock fire (always aiming at the wings) at the bomber then I turn back towards them from the 8 o'clock position fire and repeat, going from left to right and right to left until it goes down.
Against fighters I always wait for a good shot. When i'm on their six I aim for the wing root. And if it's turning you can shoot the engine, it's not as exposed as an overhead pass but you can shoot it. I blew up a zero once with a 1/4s burst, just a little squeeze of the trigger and it went kaboom http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

GT182
11-05-2004, 11:51 AM
Seeing there is a $30.00 off coupon for the Tracker IR, I'd suggest getting one. Tracker IR =s no more using the hatswitch. Just a slight tun of your head and you can see all around, inside and outside as you normally would in "real life". It's the only way to fly. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

mortoma
11-05-2004, 12:14 PM
I've never flown this game without the cockpit on, this makes it an arcade game and not a sim. But since I'm used to it, I don't really have any trouble or much trouble with losing planes. I guess if you just do it long enough, you get used to it.

Kompan
11-05-2004, 03:35 PM
Best chance to get the most bullets into an aircraft is when the aircraft is in a turn and you can lead your sight in front of the aircraft. This give you the greatest profile to shoot at. You have the fuselage and a the wings. If your luck you will hit the engine and fuel tanks making it blow up real good. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

I never shoot from straight behind, unless I am extremely close and don't run the chance of shooting above or below. Sometimes in a head to head, if you are lined up pretty good you can put a few rounds into the engine and cockpit. I have flamed a few this way, plus put a few into the guy flying behind them (if they are information).