PDA

View Full Version : Got V408 What's my next move?

geow-jim
02-22-2007, 07:54 PM
To all,

I got my 1946 DVD three days ago...downloaded 4.08 and would now like to take the next step.

The only way I'm going to get better is if I fly against human players & learn by watching their tactics.

I do not know if what I've got now is "online ready." Isn't there a 4.08 for online? As fas as I can tell, the one I downloaded is the "regular" one.

When I start 1946, my version is listed as 4.08m. I'm pretty sure about that m, but I'm not positive.

I want to learn from all of you internet sky gods!! School me. I'm willing to be a target drone till I'm ready to turn & burn with the rest of you.

Jim Green

geow-jim
02-22-2007, 07:54 PM
To all,

I got my 1946 DVD three days ago...downloaded 4.08 and would now like to take the next step.

The only way I'm going to get better is if I fly against human players & learn by watching their tactics.

I do not know if what I've got now is "online ready." Isn't there a 4.08 for online? As fas as I can tell, the one I downloaded is the "regular" one.

When I start 1946, my version is listed as 4.08m. I'm pretty sure about that m, but I'm not positive.

I want to learn from all of you internet sky gods!! School me. I'm willing to be a target drone till I'm ready to turn & burn with the rest of you.

Jim Green

striker-85
02-22-2007, 08:11 PM
Well Jim, I'm hardly a sky god but I enjoy playing on Zekes vs Wildcats. That and many other servers are available on-line.

I recommend installing HyperLobby, it will list all of the online servers, what version they are running, what difficulty settings they have enabled, and the number of players currently connected.

Hyperlobby is a great way to dive into the on-line world of Il-2.

All-Seeing Eye is another program you could use but I don't have any experience with it and I believe it shows all of the same sites as HyperLobby.

VW-IceFire
02-22-2007, 09:43 PM
If you're patched upto 4.08 then you're good to go for online play.

You'll want HyperLobby to actually find the games.

http://hyperfighter.sk/

Its a free download and a great little utility which is the center of our online community.

There are all kinds of different servers with different difficulty settings, rules, and typical behavior types. Depending on what you want, you'll want to steer in one direction more than others. Some servers you may find yourself at home in, others will appear frustrating. If you're first go is not a good one keep trying.

geow-jim
02-25-2007, 07:22 PM
Thank you.
I went to this HyperLobby link and it all seems clear...

But they differentiate between "Local copy" and "mirror."

Which one should I choose?

Jim

Flying_Mex
02-25-2007, 07:59 PM
Welcome,

Sounds like you are relatively new to the game. I would suggest using hyperlobby and jump on servers that have some of the easier seettings checked to get the hang of things. Things like Icons and minimap path/icons are good because it gets rid of the necessity of navigating and IDing a plane by shape/size/markings. This lets you concentrate on what you should be concentrating on, improving your accuracy/knowledge of the game.

I would also suggest joining a squad. Many out there offer training for new people, even if they are completely green. You can find many of them at the squadron forum here. It is in my opinion the best/easiest way to learn, as you can be on comms and see what other pilots that have more experience do and ask questions.
For one such squadron, check vultures-row.com which I belong to.

It is a great squadron and with great people and we offer training for both bombers and fighters (which are all very good sessions) as well as eventual advanced fighter combat training.

Good luck in the game, whatever you do, and hope that you find what you are looking for.

PS prepare to spend lots of time once you get hooked :-)

MaxMhz
02-25-2007, 09:53 PM
"Local copy" just means you download from the hyperfighter site - "Mirror" means you download the client from a mirror site (Probable TX Squadron's) It does not matter which one you choose, it's exactlythe same client (program to connect to online games).

Bearcat99
02-26-2007, 06:47 AM
Practice... once you can take off and land without crashing 90% of the time I recommend that you try Joint Ops. The link is in my sig. It wont turn you into an Ace overnight.... only a lot of practice will do that... but you will learn and it is challenging.. and a lot of fun.

TgD Thunderbolt56
02-26-2007, 07:18 AM
I'd also say, the next logical step(and, in my Opinion, as necessary as HL or ASE) is DL the TeamSpeak client. http://www.goteamspeak.com

Most all of the popular servers offer a TS channel that allows direct verbal communication with other pilots on the server (provided you have a headset/mic of course).

TB

geow-jim
02-27-2007, 10:09 AM
Hey,

Forgive my Noobitude, but I have a Hyperlobby Q.

The download went well. When I try to sign in/on, they ask me for my callsign and password. I was not assigned one so I tried to make one up.

No matter what I picked, it kept telling me that it wasn't right. Not that it was already taken, but that it wasn't entered properly. The Hyperlobby FAQ does not cover that particular issue. It seems as if it does, but it doesn't.

I then went to the Hyperlobby site and tried to register but it did not ask me to choose a callsign. It then told me that it would send a confirmation of sorts to my email...which it never did.

Once again, forgive my Noobeeisms. I know not what I do. I just really want to get online with you fine people.

Jim