PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion AC should add disguises to the series

ninjadodo
02-20-2019, 10:35 AM
I think the Assassin's Creed series should add disguises. It would really add another interesting layer to stealth in these games if you could enhance your sneaking by using the right disguise. For reference, look at the Hitman (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56iiP2xQn74) series, which lets you disguise yourself as various NPCs to get into restricted areas and escape unseen.

The game already supports different costumes, and personally I already tend to roleplay these games as if disguises are important. In Origins I would wear Bayek's regular clothes only in places like Siwa or when among friends. When traveling I would be disguised as a merchant or bandit and after a major mission in a city I would switch to a different costume when everyone is on high alert as if to throw them off the scent. Even though it had no gameplay effect it added to the experience.

What if this was an actual core mechanic?

Some specific ideas:

- Disguises make you harder to detect even when not using (crouched) stealth mode.

- Disguises stop working if you behave strangely, ie obviously trespassing, climbing on stuff, knocking people over, visibly stealing etc. Bring back social stealth!

- If you have been caught wearing a disguise, that costume temporarily becomes useless as a disguise in that area (ie you can still wear it, but it has no- or even a negative effect on stealth). Give it a cooldown time OR perhaps you have to be seen wearing something else to reset the disguise as "unknown".

- Disguises that cover your head or face have a greater effect. Can't recognize you if they can't see your face.

- Different costumes are appropriate in different places (see Hitman). You need a soldier disguise to get into a fort, while a civilian disguise is effective in a city, etc.

- You can obtain disguises by finding clothes lying around or by knocking out or killing NPCs and taking their clothes.

- Recognizable items or tools can give away your disguise, eg using weapons as a civilian... or wearing a prominent Medjay badge or Assassin emblem.

What do you think?

ninjadodo
02-20-2019, 11:52 AM
Also:

- Some disguises can also be bought from merchants (but not special ones like soldier uniforms etc).

- A disguise must be put on (or removed) out of sight or it immediately loses its stealth effect.

ninjadodo
02-20-2019, 12:00 PM
I'll add another one:

- In non-restricted areas only NPCs that know what you look like should recognize your face. Others only react to suspicious behaviour or costumes belonging to enemy factions, eg wearing a bandit outfit, or a brotherhood uniform in areas hostile to the Assassins.

ninjadodo
02-20-2019, 01:43 PM
I cross-posted this on reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/assassinscreed/comments/asmfvz/ac_should_add_disguises_to_the_series/) and it was rightly pointed out to me the series has dabbled in disguises in the past, eg in AC Unity and Liberation.

Unity: The thing I didn't like about that system was that it was just a magical "change into a totally different person" ability, which is not at all what I'm talking about here. You should still physically be the same person, just in a different costume... and it should not just be an instant magical button press, but instead an item you have to actually obtain by finding (or buying) it. Also, you have to change into and out of those clothes out of sight for the disguise to be effective.

Liberation: I admit I forgot about entirely having not played it, but my suggestion is for a larger system not tied to any particular character, a flexible core gameplay mechanic with many different options and ways to use it.

UbiSnout
02-21-2019, 12:42 AM
Hello ninjadodo,

The community expressed their wishes to see more stealth and infiltration game play mechanics to be included in the future episode of the series. We noted those and communicated them to the development team. :)

ninjadodo
02-21-2019, 08:36 AM
Yes, I've noticed people asking for more stealth. Hopefully though these more specific suggestions also help.

cawatrooper9
02-21-2019, 03:19 PM
Hey ninjadodo,

I like the idea of Hitman-style disguises.

Just curious, have you ever played AC Liberation? It's not quite Hitman disguises, but the Persona system in that game does an interesting job of having an Aveline's attire affect how the public perceives her, as well as what she's currently physically capable of.

ninjadodo
02-21-2019, 05:07 PM
I have not (as mentioned above) but I think that game, though more limited, does demonstrate disguises can work well for the series. If a more advanced disguise mechanic such as the one I suggest in this thread were implemented I think it would add a lot of interesting nuance to stealth.

cawatrooper9
02-22-2019, 04:02 PM
I have not (as mentioned above) but I think that game, though more limited, does demonstrate disguises can work well for the series. If a more advanced disguise mechanic such as the one I suggest in this thread were implemented I think it would add a lot of interesting nuance to stealth.

I like the idea of disguises working with factions, as well as how that could be incorporated into the Persona system. For instance, could you maybe see something like this?:

One of the personas could be "The Soldier", in that you wore the disguise of a grunt and had some bonuses to combat. Then, you could have "The General", a disguise that granted access to higher security areas and didn't grant any combat bonus, but did allow the ability to rally nearby friendly troops.

The catch here being that these traits only worked when you used a disguise friendly to the area you're in. The higher level your disguise if it wasn't friendly or neutral, the easier you'd be to detect- so for instance, if in Odyssey this system was in place, if you walked into an Athenian fortress dressed as a Spartan General, almost everyone in the entire fort would immediately see you.

The f

ninjadodo
02-23-2019, 01:27 AM
That could be really interesting, having certain abilities or special social options tied to what costume you're wearing, contextual actions fitting the disguise and faction... and yeah costumes should still have properties like armor etc like they do now, so say a civilian disguise will be less suitable for combat but will make it easier to blend into the city, while a soldier disguise is good for combat but may draw extra suspicion in the wrong place...