PDA

View Full Version : "Improved Matchmaking" Was this a joke?

CanadianSoupMan
02-10-2019, 11:02 PM
https://imgur.com/a/QOLpUB4

So we see here that blue team got absolutely shredded. We were getting spawn killed to the max and there was nothing we could do about it. This isn't a matter of "git god" (I'm actually pretty good at this game)

There should never be a situation where you lose dominion 200 - 1200 and are getting murdered in spawn with scores like this. It is not balanced matchmaking!

Ever since Black Prior came out the game has been so much less enjoyable, besides the new brokenly OP Shugoki and Vortiger, I am getting matched with kids that are double my rep and play so sweaty its horrible. Meanwhile my teammates are literally under rep 20 (I am 50) and they don't even play the game nearly at the level of me or the enemy team.

What is happening with matchmaking right now? It took me 8 Dominion matches to get the Attacker challenge done today because I have been losing like 80% of my matches, which means I get less XP and steel, how is that fair...

Illyrian_King
02-11-2019, 12:39 AM
You are right about the bad matchmaking right now ... if I got it right this change was needed to re-determinate you win/loss ratio for a better matchmaking system they are planning (if I didn't get something wrong during the Warriors Den Stream, since their french accent makes it hard sometimes).

But don't say, that Shugoki is strong or even OP. He is still a complete weak sausage, once you get the right dodge/parry timings out. If that is you problem, then you need definitely more practice.

Vendelkin
02-11-2019, 01:18 AM
Taking out pvp based k/da averages is about the worst decision ever. People will get carried to later get slaughtered with this method.

RagingtheReturn
02-11-2019, 04:04 AM
I liked the idea of them at least trying to fix the matching but I would love to just see a revert maybe as far as matchmaking goes. Im only rep 22 total but I got thrown into a dominion match that was way above my skill. on my team there was a rep 25, a rep 17, and a rep 30 then me a rep 22. our opponents were rep 50, rep 75, rep 122, and a rep 84. Before someone says the typical, "Git Good" and "Suck it Up" response. I know that rep isnt an indicator of skill but it shows the experience and time someone has put in. We got absolutely slaughtered and the round ended in about 5 minutes. 3 of us ended up leaving the match right at the breaking time. Im not condoning our actions of quitting the match but at least somewhat understand the situation. They said that within a week the matchmaking would be more even but up till this point I haven't seen this "even" matchmaking happen.

CanadianSoupMan
02-11-2019, 08:36 AM
Me calling Shugoki OP is a direct result of the warlord nerf. Shugokis is just objectively better now along with Warlord 2.0 (Vortiger). The things I find OP are... His out of stamina pressure BS because of his Headbutt, and the magnetism on shugokis grab needs to be re evaluated as he grabs sideswipers no matter when you start the attack. It is far to magnetic and refits his stamina to full and can guarantee your demise in a gank. Also his light attacks come out faster than Tiandi's palm strike, when I was doing a vanguard challenge with him I had shugokis consistently throw a light when I palm strike and interrupted me 90% of the time (Maybe that was an astronomical coincidence)

CanadianSoupMan
02-11-2019, 08:40 AM
Taking out pvp based k/da averages is about the worst decision ever. People will get carried to later get slaughtered with this method.

YES! It is not even like the people I'm fighting are better than me or not significantly anyways, but its like my teammates are never around to help me in banks or cap obj. I think its because kids who got carried or can only play obj are getting into my matches so its making stuff extremely unbalanced. The K/DA was better from what I can see because you could have a match where everyone was more or less on the same fighting level

rottmeister
02-11-2019, 09:20 AM
For me the matchmaking is all over the place. Had it happen yesterday that my team had a total of 300+ reps while the enemy team had a total of 100+ reps (with one guy having 90 reps). Kind of felt bad for the new guys (would've felt bad for the rep 90 guy but he "spammed lights n Kia so...), my teammates probably did too because we lost, LOL. So I ended up trying out different ways to counter the new Shugoki and seeing what works.

Illyrian_King
02-11-2019, 01:01 PM
Me calling Shugoki OP is a direct result of the warlord nerf. Shugokis is just objectively better now along with Warlord 2.0 (Vortiger). The things I find OP are... His out of stamina pressure BS because of his Headbutt, and the magnetism on shugokis grab needs to be re evaluated as he grabs sideswipers no matter when you start the attack. It is far to magnetic and refits his stamina to full and can guarantee your demise in a gank. Also his light attacks come out faster than Tiandi's palm strike, when I was doing a vanguard challenge with him I had shugokis consistently throw a light when I palm strike and interrupted me 90% of the time (Maybe that was an astronomical coincidence)

About that palm strike I can tell you that it is 500ms. Completely the same as big boiii's lights. The hyperarmour makes the difference.

The best advise I can give you, is to simply look closely at the animation during the unblockable heavy charge-up. If he loweres his head, then he goes for the hug and there is still plenty of time to dodge --> free guardbreak.
If not then just parry the heavy --> free light

Just wait/watch and don't let yourself get forced to an early reaction, because then Goki can react on you. I would advise you to try it out in the Training Mode.

UbiInsulin
02-11-2019, 11:22 PM
Sorry to hear you were in a lopsided match! The changes we made recently are being closely observed. In the notes (https://www.reddit.com/r/forhonor/comments/aj516f/maintenance_alert_january_24th_2019_all_platforms/) for the last related maintenance, we said "Nonetheless, we will not keep the change if it results in bad matchmaking experiences or if the average matchmaking time is increased.."

RagingtheReturn
02-12-2019, 02:04 AM
Sorry to hear you were in a lopsided match! The changes we made recently are being closely observed. In the notes (https://www.reddit.com/r/forhonor/comments/aj516f/maintenance_alert_january_24th_2019_all_platforms/) for the last related maintenance, we said "Nonetheless, we will not keep the change if it results in bad matchmaking experiences or if the average matchmaking time is increased.."

Do you know if there have been more reports of mismatched games or is a small section of the players that are experiencing it?

UbiInsulin
02-12-2019, 02:38 AM
Do you know if there have been more reports of mismatched games or is a small section of the players that are experiencing it?

I don't personally have access to that data. Anecdotally, I've seen more posts about imbalanced matches and made sure to report as much to the team.

MatsumotoXIII
02-12-2019, 03:07 AM
Now have game where my team have 1/4/2/30 totel rep and enemy have all 30+ ... End game under 5 mins. 2 Spammers BPs and grab spammer Shugoki in enemy team. Rly CG to this unplayable sh*t

Jacques-Le-Coq
02-12-2019, 08:00 AM
Played few matches that seemed fine, then i played a few more, now every match i play is unbalanced as hell. My team is usually quite a few reps below most on the other team. Every person i fight is a sweaty tryhard turtle. Most of the time its a BP that does nothing but spam bash light, I've dodged it many many times but the fact its too safe, can't GB him, or sneak in a dodge attack. Very few heroes can successfully dodge attack him, and thats only if you predict his bash. a little off topic but nonetheless true. Matchmaking is complete garbage....still. Oh and warlords extra damage and mixups don't make him better, basically gave more options to be parried or blocked, very sloppy rework, if you could even call it that, again off topic but i can't help but point these things out, its making this game more of an aggravating chore then something fun to play.

Ubi-Jimothy
02-12-2019, 12:22 PM
Just to chime in on this;

We're still investigating, so any feedback towards the Matchmaking system is appreciated. Just bare in mind that after we make these kinds of changes, it can take a little bit of time to normalize the skill balance in matchmade games.

Thanks for keeping us up to date so far though, and keep the feedback coming!

Halvtand
02-12-2019, 10:26 PM
Mhm. This matches up with what I've experienced. First few matches was total chaos, which I was expecting due to the new matchmaking rules.
Once the dust had settled a pattern emerged. 1-3 matches ending in crushing defeat, and then 1-2 matches ending in total victory. Rince and repeat.
By "crushing" and "total" I mean that the winning team typically have 0-3 deaths and kills in the double digits. The losing team... not so much and they usually does not reach 500 points (in dominion). Only very rarely is there an even match, I think I have had only one or maybe two since the new matchmaking was implemented.
It feels like I'm right between two skill brackets. When I advance to the higher one I'm beaten into the ground mercilessly. When I drop down to the lower I don't really have to push myself to get kills.

Vakris_One
02-13-2019, 07:31 PM
Mhm. This matches up with what I've experienced. First few matches was total chaos, which I was expecting due to the new matchmaking rules.
Once the dust had settled a pattern emerged. 1-3 matches ending in crushing defeat, and then 1-2 matches ending in total victory. Rince and repeat.
By "crushing" and "total" I mean that the winning team typically have 0-3 deaths and kills in the double digits. The losing team... not so much and they usually does not reach 500 points (in dominion). Only very rarely is there an even match, I think I have had only one or maybe two since the new matchmaking was implemented.
It feels like I'm right between two skill brackets. When I advance to the higher one I'm beaten into the ground mercilessly. When I drop down to the lower I don't really have to push myself to get kills.
I can confirm the same. If my team wins it's by a landslide and I'm not even having to try to get kills. If my team loses it's also by a landslide and I'm getting stomped into the ground by efficient gank tactics that don't give you an inch to breath or simply by players that have a perfect read on every move I make like they're playing for money.

The intense super close and evenly balanced back and forth matches have gone the way of the Dodo. Right now matchmaking is as bad as it has ever been in this game from my experience. But I'm not surprised. It was a stupid idea in the first place to base matchmaking "skill" on win percentage alone. Especially for team based game modes where you can get carried or do the carrying and the system is absolutely blind to all of this.

Honestly, this is like a dev team who are making a PvP matchmaking algorithm for the very first time in their careers. You would never know that this team has had 2 years of live experience via FH or that they are backed by a triple A studio that runs one of the most successful PvP games currently on the market (R6 Siege). There's a knowledge base there to freely pool from so I really don't understand what the FH dev team's problem is.