PDA

View Full Version : Why the eagle?

samward
06-18-2010, 02:17 PM
I am not sure what category this comes under, so please don't get mad at me if this should be posted else where.

I was thinking...we spend a lot of time looking at the symbols of the AC games comparing them to other cultures and trying to understand the underling meanings the producers have. But never once have I heard anyone ask why did they pick the symbols to begin with....such as the eagle. A symbol that both games revolve around and both ancestors are named after....but why the eagle? Is there some historical connection to assassins, or was is chosen on a whim by the producers? Sorry if this seem like rambling, just some thoughts and questions I was thinking about, maybe some of you can shed some light.

samward
06-18-2010, 02:17 PM
I am not sure what category this comes under, so please don't get mad at me if this should be posted else where.

I was thinking...we spend a lot of time looking at the symbols of the AC games comparing them to other cultures and trying to understand the underling meanings the producers have. But never once have I heard anyone ask why did they pick the symbols to begin with....such as the eagle. A symbol that both games revolve around and both ancestors are named after....but why the eagle? Is there some historical connection to assassins, or was is chosen on a whim by the producers? Sorry if this seem like rambling, just some thoughts and questions I was thinking about, maybe some of you can shed some light.

phil.llllll
06-18-2010, 03:02 PM
Not sure if there's any significance in the story for why they chose it. I'm guessing it's just because it's a deadly bird of prey - the way it comes down on the prey to make the kill resembles drop down assassinations. Death from above.

Oh and because the outfit looks badass (resembles an eagle).

BK-110
06-18-2010, 03:26 PM
Like phil. said, it may have something to do with the eagle's way of catching it's pray. Striking quickly out of nowhere and vanishing again a second later.

At the same time the eagle may be interpreted as a symbol of freedom. Possibly both physical freedom and freedom of the mind, the freedom from superstition and control that the Assassins fight for.

TheEpicWolf
06-18-2010, 03:28 PM
I think phil.IIIIII is right. There's an old picture of Altair dropping down and his shadow casts a shape resembling an eagle.

dino.g.pivcic
06-18-2010, 03:49 PM
I like to discover Assassins Creed serials... So I find out why the eagle... Word Altair is an abbreviation of the Arabic phrase ????? ??????, an-nasr a?-??’ir (English: The flying eagle). Or on latin it's Aquila... By the way there is an star called Altair ^^ I hope I helped you about this question http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Six_Gun
06-18-2010, 04:53 PM
The Eagle is a modern day symbol of freedom,, a bird of prey, known to nest in high places even in cities, and a bird that risks death mating while in a free fall. All of these things seem to be perfectly matched to the main characters of AC.

Murcuseo
06-18-2010, 06:11 PM
The reason this hasn't been discussed is because, as proven by the responses it's obvious... come on.

Cunning, stealthy, graceful, agile... the ability to spot and follow targets from great distances and swoop down and kill them with hardly a sound.

There's no other animal I can think of that encapsulates the philosophy of the Assassin's anymore accurately than that!

Think about what someone instinctly thinks when you mention eagles to them, they're a symbol of power.