PDA

View Full Version : Like LONG Missions ?Got a Widescreen Monitor?Beware!

ytareh
03-01-2009, 01:44 PM
You probably realise that the image is slightly skewed if you edit the conf.ini file to change the res to suit a widescreen monitor (the vast majority use these nowadays Id guess)
Now if you like to fly loooong missions you really need to know that the map squares arent square any more .This means that headings can be incorrect if you interpret them from the map you see on the screen .I noticed this as I was calculating a heading for a very long overwater mission I was about fly .Using a protractor I got a different value compared with calculating it using trigonometry ...It was out by about 1-2 degrees -not that relevant unless you like long missions with dead reckoning navigation but thought one or two might like to know .

ytareh
03-01-2009, 01:44 PM
You probably realise that the image is slightly skewed if you edit the conf.ini file to change the res to suit a widescreen monitor (the vast majority use these nowadays Id guess)
Now if you like to fly loooong missions you really need to know that the map squares arent square any more .This means that headings can be incorrect if you interpret them from the map you see on the screen .I noticed this as I was calculating a heading for a very long overwater mission I was about fly .Using a protractor I got a different value compared with calculating it using trigonometry ...It was out by about 1-2 degrees -not that relevant unless you like long missions with dead reckoning navigation but thought one or two might like to know .

TX-EcoDragon
03-01-2009, 04:51 PM
Well, given that we have no gyro drift modeled, no need to change conversion values for local magnetic variation, and no need for changing wind correction angles, and no dynamic weather systems, it's probably more of a realism enhancement than a detriment!

Oh and I should add that you can get very nearly square, if not square pixel mapping at appropriate resolutions. I run 1920x1200 and have no issues with distortion that I can detect. I simply have more viewable horizontal area.

Aviar
03-01-2009, 05:04 PM
It is possible to get the correct aspect ratio for your particular monitor. Look here...

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/foru...9310655/m/7111009546 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/49310655/m/7111009546)

Aviar

Lurch1962
03-07-2009, 04:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I simply have more viewable horizontal area. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No. You actually have less viewable vertical area.

Choctaw111
03-07-2009, 06:45 PM
When done if your conf.ini (which is the only way to get widescreen), it doesn't stretch out the viewable area, or the map. It only clips off part of the top and bottom. What was a grid square with 4 equal sides is still the same.

grifter2u
03-07-2009, 08:18 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ytareh:
You probably realise that the image is slightly skewed if you edit the conf.ini file to change the res to suit a widescreen monitor . </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

if you have a somewhat distorted image being displayed on your screen, after editing the il2 config ini to try and make it fill the widescreen monitor display, then you made an error in the edits.

with the right ini edit you will get it perfectly filling the screen without distorting the image, but it will have a small strip cut off the image at the top and bottom of your screen, this means your map grid should be of the perfectly correct dimensions and shapes http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif