PDA

View Full Version : Maybe an easy way to create a front line?

XyZspineZyX
07-07-2003, 09:34 AM
If they would add sand bags and crew arround artillery/Flak/AAA/Field/AT guns and static dug in tanks and Infantry that only fire you can make with some effort a nice front line in the FMB.

Edit: Bunkers and pillboxes might also be nice. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Any comments?

<center> http://www.322squadron.com/images/322.gif </center>

Message Edited on 07/07/0309:38AM by Cappadocian_317

XyZspineZyX
07-07-2003, 09:34 AM
If they would add sand bags and crew arround artillery/Flak/AAA/Field/AT guns and static dug in tanks and Infantry that only fire you can make with some effort a nice front line in the FMB.

Edit: Bunkers and pillboxes might also be nice. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Any comments?

<center> http://www.322squadron.com/images/322.gif </center>

Message Edited on 07/07/0309:38AM by Cappadocian_317

XyZspineZyX
07-07-2003, 10:42 AM
Sounds good,there aren't any real frontlines in this game.

Reiska

XyZspineZyX
07-07-2003, 09:50 PM
then you would have to model those along the WHOLE frontline, imagine the lag it would cause, but still it would look awesome.

/This relatively meaningless post has been brought to you by Ackackman.

Duh!

[No scripts and no Pilots lounge make Ack a dull boy]

XyZspineZyX
07-07-2003, 10:44 PM
Actually you can fake this with the FMB. Use the frontline objects to create the lines. And then place tanks, artillery and rocket artilllery on it. Pill boxes and small arms fire can be simulated with Ba-64's. They fire 7.62mm rounds at a high rate of fire. They can't cause any real damage to most planes, but they look pretty and can be used to create a very visable frontline. Some real pill boxes and trenches would be nice though. And of course infantry would be great/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif .

----------------------------------------
<center>I/JG1 Oesau (http://jg1-oesau.org) is recruiting. Join us!

Stab.I/JG1Death at HL, Maj_Death at Ubi.com

At the start of WW2 the German army lacked experienced anti-aircraft gunners. The average gunner was so bad that the USSR decided to help them out. They did it by forcing some of their pilots to fly I-153 flak magnets. These planes were slow but very sturdy. This allowed German anti-aircraft gunners to get a large amount of target practice on a relatively small number of planes. Thanks to the Soviets help, by the end of the war the German anti-aircraft gunners were amoung the best in the world.</center>

XyZspineZyX
07-08-2003, 01:22 AM
bump!!!!!!!!!!!

XyZspineZyX
07-08-2003, 01:47 AM
Yes, taken into consideration that the game is build around the famous Il-2 Sturmovik, we are missing some frontlines, but how static were the frontline actually? Early war, the Germans were advancing and the only real static force would be Russian, late war I suppose it was the other way around?? The time spend in a static frontline seems to have been limited to when reinforcements were needed to attack or counterattack....

I think....

XyZspineZyX
07-08-2003, 09:00 PM
Actually, this is very easy to simulate without a huge fps drain.

Pillboxes are easy to fake using the objects and a handy bit of zooming in on the FMB map.

Place a small building down, then select either a K-251 from the "Artillery" section (for Germans) or a -40 or -60 from the "Stationary Armor" (for Soviets). You can actually place half of the vehicle inside the building and they'll fire, just make sure you have the turret all the way out.

Place a Stationary Object target (a -60 for the K-251 or a Pz-III for the Soviets) and it'll give a nice stream of tracers for you.

If you work the angles for line of sight and range (villages work great for this, as the ground objects can't see through buildings) and you'll get nice crossfires going.

You don't have to saturate the whole map - combat on the ground tends to localize in clumps based on troop density and objectives - but can give a show of there being more on the ground than convoys.

A word of caution: AA guns will go into ground attack whenever possible, and large armor will just kill each other. If the target is too tough for the tracer generators listed above, they won't shoot (they're not that dumb). K-251's won't fire at a T-34, for example.