PDA

View Full Version : MK 108 and reincarnation (GAU 8 test fire)



Kurfurst__
02-12-2008, 12:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWAaZnALTYc

C`est brutal..

Kurfurst__
02-12-2008, 12:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWAaZnALTYc

C`est brutal..

waffen-79
02-12-2008, 12:50 PM
.50 cal? anyone? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

One13
02-12-2008, 01:03 PM
Slight difference-

GAU-8 fired 30x173 rounds at 4,200rpm
30x173 API round 425g at 988m/s

MK108 fired 30x90RB rounds at 600 to 650rpm
30x90RB HE round 330g at 505m/s

the GAU-8 is very impressive, interesting to see the burning gases coming out of the breech when fired....

MB_Avro_UK
02-12-2008, 04:36 PM
C'est magnifique !

Would make an interesting 'field version' for the 109 Gondolas http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Best Regards,
MB_Avro.

biggs222
02-12-2008, 04:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MB_Avro_UK:
C'est magnifique !

Would make an interesting 'field version' for the 109 Gondolas http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Best Regards,
MB_Avro. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yes, but where would they get their depleted uranium rounds from? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

M_Gunz
02-12-2008, 05:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by One13:
Slight difference-

GAU-8 fired 30x173 rounds at 4,200rpm
30x173 API round 425g at 988m/s

MK108 fired 30x90RB rounds at 600 to 650rpm
30x90RB HE round 330g at 505m/s

the GAU-8 is very impressive, interesting to see the burning gases coming out of the breech when fired.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was Mk-108 motor driven either?
So if they both have same bore then the early one is papa to the latter?
I know, you don't think so either.

Gibbage1
02-12-2008, 06:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by M_Gunz:
So if they both have same bore then the early one is papa to the latter?
I know, you don't think so either. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please. They will claim anything. Like liquid fuel rockets, and the B-2 bomber.

VW-IceFire
02-12-2008, 09:41 PM
Impressive...it stops sounding like a gun and more like a loud burp. Absolutely incredible destruction...I saw what one of these can do to dummy targets in an Omnimax film...unbelievable!

josephs1959
02-12-2008, 10:03 PM
So when are the German planes going to be equipped with this beauty? LOL 1,,, 2,,, 3,,, 4,,, Years? I'm just wondering what the space is inbetween the shells as they leave the muzzle? Does it increase as the distance increases? Just the thought of shells flying through the air in a straight line at the velocity of_____ with a space of_____ in between shells for a distance of_____

Gibbage1
02-12-2008, 11:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
Impressive...it stops sounding like a gun and more like a loud burp. Absolutely incredible destruction...I saw what one of these can do to dummy targets in an Omnimax film...unbelievable! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats why they nick named it the "burp gun". Very distinctive.

biggs222
02-13-2008, 01:54 AM
the allies called the MP-40 the "burp gun" as well but i have a hard time seeing (or hearing rather) why.

Vanderstok
02-13-2008, 02:35 AM
Wasn't the MG -42 called the "burp gun" ? It also has a very high rate of fire (1200 rnds/min), although obviously not as high as the GAU 8.

biggs222
02-13-2008, 02:49 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vanderstok:
Wasn't the MG -42 called the "burp gun" ? It also has a very high rate of fire (1200 rnds/min), although obviously not as high as the GAU 8. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

nope burp gun was a nicknamed used exclusively for the mp40... the MG42 was called "Hitler's Zipper"

which brings up another question. why didnt they use the MG42 in planes? say the engine mounted Mgs on the 109?

The-Pizza-Man
02-13-2008, 03:09 AM
I thought burp gun was the nick name given to the soviet smgs during Korea.

Kurfurst__
02-13-2008, 03:29 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by M_Gunz:

Was Mk-108 motor driven either?
So if they both have same bore then the early one is papa to the latter?
I know, you don't think so either. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, the MK 108 was a bloody simple thing with a simple blowback action, similiar like most SMGs during WW2, the GAU 8 is a Gatling type with revolving barrels, driven by motor to save wear on the barrels and speed up RoF etc. Compared to the GAU 8, its a purring kitten.. but you know, reincarnation is all about purring kittens becoming bloodthirsty tigers in their next life http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Kurfurst__
02-13-2008, 03:39 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by biggs222:

which brings up another question. why didnt they use the MG42 in planes? say the engine mounted Mgs on the 109? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The MG 17 they used before the war until about 1943 had a RoF of 1200 / min, greater than the infantry`s MG 34 at that time (900/min, the MG 42 did 1500/min); the MG 17 was also it was electrically fired which facilitated syncronization. Jams could be cleared from the cocpit.

The MG 17 was to be replaced by the MG 81 with even higher rate of fire - 1600/min - on fighter cowlings, however by the time it was obvious that rifle caliber MGs were obsolate for fighters, and the 13mm MG 131 was choosen instead. The MG 81 was used however widely on bombers, often in twin configuration like on the Stuka (2x1600/min..)

Two cool MG 42 vids from youtube : http://youtube.com/watch?v=kAmIUdPf9-A&feature=related

Norge boyz go berserk : http://youtube.com/watch?v=hSKSsjpkZ3c&feature=related

KIMURA
02-13-2008, 05:07 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by biggs222:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vanderstok:
Wasn't the MG -42 called the "burp gun" ? It also has a very high rate of fire (1200 rnds/min), although obviously not as high as the GAU 8. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

nope burp gun was a nicknamed used exclusively for the mp40... the MG42 was called "Hitler's Zipper"

which brings up another question. why didnt they use the MG42 in planes? say the engine mounted Mgs on the 109? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The German term of the Mg42 was Hitlersäge (Hitler's saw). http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Stafroty
02-13-2008, 07:33 AM
ever heard bout MK 27 cannon?

Choctaw111
02-13-2008, 12:22 PM
I was stationed on a base where there was an aerial gunnery range. I ALWAYS loved the sound of the A10's coming in and laying waste with the "big gun". I even had the chance of watching them coming in from an Observation Post overlooking the aerial gunnery range. You just have to see it personally to really appreciate it.
Comparing the GAU-8 with the MK108...I think that is stretching the imagination a bit too far. There are no 2 similarities between them, except for the caliber.

M_Gunz
02-13-2008, 12:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by biggs222:
which brings up another question. why didnt they use the MG42 in planes? say the engine mounted Mgs on the 109? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because the interrupter gear would keep the gun from firing at full cyclic rate.

Lurch1962
02-13-2008, 05:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm just wondering what the space is in between the shells as they leave the muzzle? Does it increase as the distance increases? Just the thought of shells flying through the air in a straight line at the velocity of_____ with a space of_____ in between shells for a distance of_____ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The GAU-8: 4,200 rpm (70 rps) with muzzle velocity of 988 m/s.

Space between individual rounds, assuming each is fired with the same interval of time between: 988m / 70 = 14m, or about 46 feet.

As the velocity of the shells decreases with distance, so will the space between them decrease in proportion. However, over the ranges typically fired across, the deceleration/spacing will not decrease very much.

josephs1959
02-13-2008, 05:43 PM
Thank you Lurch 1962; 46ft?

M_Gunz
02-13-2008, 06:43 PM
That's at muzzle. They slow down after that so the range between each shrinks as well.

The 30mm shells are wicked, A good military site -- GAU 8 page (http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/equip/gau-8.htm)

Before the A-10 and the AC-130, there were other high fire rate ground attack planes so I
ask if the GAU-8 really descended from Mk 108 not used against ground targets at all?

Well maybe the true sire should be the B-25G's and H's but they had no Gatlings, just a
whole lot of M2's and that 75mm gun. But at least they fired forward.

My feeling is that it came more from the AC-47 gunships, Puff the Magic Dragon used in Vietnam
that had multiple miniguns fired out the left side. Commonalities are Gatlings for ROF and
the ground attack role though the AC-130 Spectre is the legitimate heir of that line.

One pass, I forget how few seconds and they said Sppoky would put a 50 cal bullet in every
square foot of a football field. The pilot had a kind of ring site in his left window and
the plane would slew when firing. They carried a lot of fuel and ammo plus had room to
service the guns.

Anyway, I went surfing so if you're interested then fine, else skip the parts below.

This from a site with political overtones:
"Once 'Puff' had done his work on a North Vietnamese Army company and we went out on patrol to count bodies," said another soldier. "We walked for about a mile and didn't see anything. First we could smell it, and then we couldn't believe what we saw. What was once 200 men was now a stream of slush. 'Puff' had shredded them to bits leaving nothing but communist mush. It was just like putting 200 men through a meat grinder."

Puff The Magic Dragon (http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-air-support/vietnam/spooky-puff.htm)

Call sign; SPOOKY

(also sometimes called Snoopy)

. . . with 200,000 candle power flares to light up the night and 3 mini-guns each able to spit out 6,000 rounds per minute (every 4th one a red tracer) is it any wonder that captured Viet Cong (VC) and North Vietnamese Army (NVA) documents referred to the "Dragon's" reputation, containing orders specifically to "not attack the Dragon because it would only infuriate the monster."

More Pics (http://www.1stcavmedic.com/glossary-files/ac-47-puff.htm)

AC-47 site with loads of story, maybe the most. (http://www.ac-119gunships.com/ac47/gunshipac47.htm)
Where it gets into action. (http://www.ac-119gunships.com/ac47/gunshipac47.htm#The%20Legend%20Begins)

Frequent_Flyer
02-13-2008, 11:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kurfurst__:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by M_Gunz:

Was Mk-108 motor driven either?
So if they both have same bore then the early one is papa to the latter?
I know, you don't think so either. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, the MK 108 was a bloody simple thing with a simple blowback action, similiar like most SMGs during WW2, the GAU 8 is a Gatling type with revolving barrels, driven by motor to save wear on the barrels and speed up RoF etc. Compared to the GAU 8, its a purring kitten.. but you know, reincarnation is all about purring kittens becoming bloodthirsty tigers in their next life http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The GAU 8 is a reicarnation of the " Gattling gun" developed long before the Mk-108. The only thing they share is the 30 mm size.

Kurfurst__
02-14-2008, 03:05 AM
YES I KNOW FOR CHRIST`S SAKE..! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Kurfurst__
02-14-2008, 04:42 AM
Point of view from the receiving end.... (A-10 almost chalks up some Redcoats in A-stan) http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

http://militaryvideos.net/videos.php?videonum=78

The GAU 8 is scary, no doubt..

Vanderstok
02-14-2008, 04:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by biggs222:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vanderstok:
Wasn't the MG -42 called the "burp gun" ? It also has a very high rate of fire (1200 rnds/min), although obviously not as high as the GAU 8. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

nope burp gun was a nicknamed used exclusively for the mp40... the MG42 was called "Hitler's Zipper"

which brings up another question. why didnt they use the MG42 in planes? say the engine mounted Mgs on the 109? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess I'm not the only one who got this mixed up? (I love nitpickin' ! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif )

"The lethal MG42, known as the 'Burp Gun' by US forces from the unmistakeable report of some 20 rounds per second." - from : http://www.bayonetstrength.150m.com/Weapons/lightmachin...ght_machine_guns.htm (http://www.bayonetstrength.150m.com/Weapons/lightmachineguns/light_machine_guns.htm)

and

"Fielded in 1942, the MG42 was a simpler, cheaper and more robust design than the MG34. It eliminated the former's curious double-lever trigger (top for single shots, bottom for full-auto) and was constructed of stamped steel rather than castings. Half the price of its forebear, requiring half the resources and half the man-hours, the MG42 fired at over 1,500 rpm, sounding less like a chainsaw than a dentist's drill; it was nicknamed 'Hitler's Zipper' or 'burp gun' by the newspapers of the day." - from: http://everything2.com/index.pl?node=Machine%20gun

Cajun76
02-14-2008, 10:01 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by M_Gunz:
That's at muzzle. They slow down after that so the range between each shrinks as well.

The 30mm shells are wicked, A good military site -- GAU 8 page (http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/equip/gau-8.htm)

Before the A-10 and the AC-130, there were other high fire rate ground attack planes so I
ask if the GAU-8 really descended from Mk 108 not used against ground targets at all?

Well maybe the true sire should be the B-25G's and H's but they had no Gatlings, just a
whole lot of M2's and that 75mm gun. But at least they fired forward.

My feeling is that it came more from the AC-47 gunships, Puff the Magic Dragon used in Vietnam
that had multiple miniguns fired out the left side. Commonalities are Gatlings for ROF and
the ground attack role though the AC-130 Spectre is the legitimate heir of that line.

One pass, I forget how few seconds and they said Sppoky would put a 50 cal bullet in every
square foot of a football field. The pilot had a kind of ring site in his left window and
the plane would slew when firing. They carried a lot of fuel and ammo plus had room to
service the guns.

Anyway, I went surfing so if you're interested then fine, else skip the parts below.

This from a site with political overtones:
"Once 'Puff' had done his work on a North Vietnamese Army company and we went out on patrol to count bodies," said another soldier. "We walked for about a mile and didn't see anything. First we could smell it, and then we couldn't believe what we saw. What was once 200 men was now a stream of slush. 'Puff' had shredded them to bits leaving nothing but communist mush. It was just like putting 200 men through a meat grinder."

Puff The Magic Dragon (http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-air-support/vietnam/spooky-puff.htm)

Call sign; SPOOKY

(also sometimes called Snoopy)

. . . with 200,000 candle power flares to light up the night and 3 mini-guns each able to spit out 6,000 rounds per minute (every 4th one a red tracer) is it any wonder that captured Viet Cong (VC) and North Vietnamese Army (NVA) documents referred to the "Dragon's" reputation, containing orders specifically to "not attack the Dragon because it would only infuriate the monster."

More Pics (http://www.1stcavmedic.com/glossary-files/ac-47-puff.htm)

AC-47 site with loads of story, maybe the most. (http://www.ac-119gunships.com/ac47/gunshipac47.htm)
Where it gets into action. (http://www.ac-119gunships.com/ac47/gunshipac47.htm#The%20Legend%20Begins) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As an Army man in Vietnam, my dad loved Puff. From his vantage, it looked like a solid red line stabbing down, helping to keep him safe.

I think it's that very reason (among others) that they have moved away from the Gatling guns on the newest AC-130U. A single 25mm GAU-12/U has replaced the 2 x 20mm of the Spectre. Tracers give away your position, so the 25mm is usually not the primary weapon. To increase standoff distance I believe they rely on the 105mm howitzer for precision first strike. The new "Spooky" can engage two different targets up to a kilometer apart, so I can see a primary target engaged with the 105 and taking on a secondary target that has engaged the gunship with the 40mm Bofors and 25mm Gatling.

As I was writing, I was surfing around and found out that they are planning on replacing both the 40mm Bofors and 25mm Gatling with 2 x 30mm chainguns, a derivative of the 25mm Bushmaster on the Bradley. This would fit with getting away from the Gatling and enhancing precision engagement of all types of targets. The dual feed system will also allow for target specific ammo as a mission evolves between hard and soft targets.

BRASSTURTLE
02-14-2008, 11:15 AM
I got to speak to an A-10 pilot at an air show when I was a kid. He said the gun pulled about G backwards when fired. He also claimed the plane nearly came to a dead halt during firing.

After the Thunderbolt, the Thunderbolt II is one of my faves.

Death on the Wing.

M_Gunz
02-14-2008, 11:24 AM
I stayed up and read what the Spooky guys had on their site.
They are AC-119 crew, the K's had 20mm for truck hunting and one said his plane had killed
Su-76's with theirs. Good job, those were able to conduct long range arty fire compared
to mortars.

I get the impression that delivering 10's of meters wide saturation of bullets (7.62mm, not
the 50 cals I thought) was the anti-personnel point at least. But then fewer HE shells making
frags isn't so different though that depends much on the ground how effective they'd be.

The 105 -- if they could be sure of proper height airbursts then they'd need little else.
I worked with arty, a single 105 burst 50 feet up makes a 100m casualty producing radius.
My AIT sergeant credited high burst arty with his survival as a Marine in Korea during human
wave attacks at 1000:1. So he changed his job to help aim the big guns, Field Arty Radar.

Xiolablu3
02-14-2008, 11:25 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kurfurst__:
Point of view from the receiving end.... (A-10 almost chalks up some Redcoats in A-stan) http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

http://militaryvideos.net/videos.php?videonum=78

The GAU 8 is scary, no doubt.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow, that is one scary *** sound even on a video.

A shiver went down my spine each time it fired.

Sounds like some kind of Dragon/Monstor on the horizon. Then you realise its even more scary than that...

Cajun76
02-14-2008, 01:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by M_Gunz:
I stayed up and read what the Spooky guys had on their site.
They are AC-119 crew, the K's had 20mm for truck hunting and one said his plane had killed
Su-76's with theirs. Good job, those were able to conduct long range arty fire compared
to mortars.

I get the impression that delivering 10's of meters wide saturation of bullets (7.62mm, not
the 50 cals I thought) was the anti-personnel point at least. But then fewer HE shells making
frags isn't so different though that depends much on the ground how effective they'd be.

The 105 -- if they could be sure of proper height airbursts then they'd need little else.
I worked with arty, a single 105 burst 50 feet up makes a 100m casualty producing radius.
My AIT sergeant credited high burst arty with his survival as a Marine in Korea during human
wave attacks at 1000:1. So he changed his job to help aim the big guns, Field Arty Radar. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://www.squadron14.com/ac47hist.html

The minigunz http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif are the essentially the same as the one in the famous minigun/Huey video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyF0G7g4KfY

but the AC-47 "Spooky" carried 3 of these bad boys.

I thought this was hilarious from the squadron14 site: "The original gunships had been designated FC-47D by the United States Air Force, but with protests from fighter pilots, this designation was changed to AC-47D during 1965."

One of our community members used to have a sig: "Son, never ask a man if he's a fighter pilot. If he is, he'll tell you." http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Poking around, the AC-119 came after the AC-130 (Gunship II) program as a supplement and to finish replacing the AC-47.

4 x GAU-2/A 7.62 mm (0.30 in) miniguns, 1,500 rounds/gun
and 2x M61 20 mm cannons on the AC-119K truck hunting variant

The original AC-130 had

4 x 7.62 mm GAU-2/A miniguns
4 x 20 mm M61 Vulcan cannon


In addition to the replacement of the 25mm Gatling and 40mm Bofors, they're also examining the idea of replacing the 105mm howitzer with a breech loaded 120mm mortar and equipping the gunship with Hellfire or guided missile derivatives of the Hydra 70 system that are in development.

Lurch1962
02-14-2008, 05:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I got to speak to an A-10 pilot at an air show when I was a kid. He said the gun pulled about G backwards when fired. He also claimed the plane nearly came to a dead halt during firing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, right! If the plane slowed that much it would stall, and at too low an altitude would certainly crash. Moreover, if a couple seconds of firing is enough to subtract 100+ knots of speed from such a fairly massive plane, the forces would more likely cause the gun to break. And the pilot's eyeballs would almost pop out onto his cheeks! (OK, I am exaggerating a bit there.)

BTW, you forgot to say HOW MANY G's. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

M_Gunz
02-14-2008, 08:32 PM
1 G slowdown is to lose 32 ft/s per second.
That amounts to losing just under 22 mph per second.
In 3 full seconds of 1 G slowdown I can lose a bit less than 70 mph.
Starting at perhaps 200mph, I can then run fire for those 3 seconds, guns and ammo permitting,
and still be above stall.

The A10 is not a plane with a GAU 8 installed, it's a plane built around a GAU 8 mount.
If that mount could not take 1 G then the gun should fall off in a 2 G turn, for example.

Cajun76
02-14-2008, 10:51 PM
From Wiki: (Ya, I know, but everything seems to match up.)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> A persistent urban legend is that the recoil force of the Avenger matches that of the A-10's engines and as such the plane would slow down, stall, and subsequently crash if the gun was to be fired for long periods of time (some even claim that the aircraft would begin to fly backwards). However, the GAU-8/A product homepage states the recoil force as 10,000 pounds-force, or about 45 kN, which is less than the maximum combined output of the A-10 engines (82.6 kN)[1]. Hence the recoil force of the gun is slightly more than half of the total thrust of the engines. While this is quite significant and can noticeably slow the aircraft, it is not sufficient to stop the aircraft. During test firing of the gun in the A-10 in the early 1970s the USAF experimented with putting a muzzle brake on the end of the gun and extending the nose of the plane out around this muzzle brake to vent the gun gases backwards. It was decided during this testing that the effect of the gun was not significant enough to warrant the added expense and complexity of adding this to every plane in the inventory.

The gun is mounted off the centerline of the plane as the bullets leave the gun when the barrels reach roughly the 9 O'clock position when looking at the nose of the plane, thus the recoil forces of the gun are directed down the centerline of the plane. This was done because it was discovered during development of the platform that having the gun mounted on the centerline and thus the recoil forces off the centerline was enough to push the plane off target when firing the gun. The gun is also mounted off the center line to allow space for the front landing gear.

According to 355th Fighter Wing Weapons and Tactics Chief at Davis-Monthan AFB in Tucson, AZ, there is no recoil problem with the GAU-8/A. The GAU-8/A utilizes recoil adapters. They are the interface between the gun housing and the gun mount. By absorbing (in compression) the recoil forces, they spread the time of the recoil impulse and counter recoil energy transmitted to the supporting structure when the gun is fired.

Some claims have been made that the A-10 engines are susceptible to flame-out when subjected to gases generated in the firing of the gun, such that when the GAU-8 is being fired, the smoke from the gun can make the engines stop, and this did occur during initial flight testing. Gun exhaust is essentially oxygen-free, and is certainly capable of causing flame-outs of gas turbines. However, the A-10 is now designed so that the gun exhaust passes underneath the fuselage, and never ventures near the high-mounted turbines, even during negative-G maneuvers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>


Additionally, no target deserves more than 3 seconds of firing, holding down the trigger is just wasting ammo. I've heard whining on these boards about 'lasers'. The Avenger is about as close as it gets, until, of course the actual Airborne Laser reaches service. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

M_Gunz
02-15-2008, 02:49 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif Isn't it true that A-10's rear armor was tested against bird strikes? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

I might have heard something like that from a fighter pilot before.

Cajun76
02-15-2008, 10:40 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by M_Gunz:
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif Isn't it true that A-10's rear armor was tested against bird strikes? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

I might have heard something like that from a fighter pilot before. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As slow as the A-10 is, maybe they tested for fast, aggressive ducks? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

But it does seem the kind of statement a Mach 2 fighter jock would make, at least until he's ordered to loiter over a battlefield at 350mph and 2500ft. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif