PDA

View Full Version : magnetic or impact??

ltforce
04-24-2005, 10:27 PM
well i use both magnetic usually during nice calm seas cause under heavy conditions the torpedos used to detonate prematurely cause the waves would screw up their magnetic triggers, and impact when i have almost a perfect gyroangle on the ship cause impact gets a lot of duds, which is betteR?? i like to use magnetic cause it goes right under the ship which should lift it semi out of the water and crack its hull from the shockwave taking all the water from under it out then its filling back in but seems to still take 2-3 magnetic to take down a C2 and i dont use impact much cause u would assume magnetic r better?? u guys have more info?? and i dont use auto tdc and i cant set it to aim for engine room, feul storage etc i just set everything into the notepad and fire the torpedo

ltforce
04-24-2005, 10:27 PM
well i use both magnetic usually during nice calm seas cause under heavy conditions the torpedos used to detonate prematurely cause the waves would screw up their magnetic triggers, and impact when i have almost a perfect gyroangle on the ship cause impact gets a lot of duds, which is betteR?? i like to use magnetic cause it goes right under the ship which should lift it semi out of the water and crack its hull from the shockwave taking all the water from under it out then its filling back in but seems to still take 2-3 magnetic to take down a C2 and i dont use impact much cause u would assume magnetic r better?? u guys have more info?? and i dont use auto tdc and i cant set it to aim for engine room, feul storage etc i just set everything into the notepad and fire the torpedo

alanschu
04-24-2005, 10:33 PM
For the infamous C2, I have better success with a well placed impact than magnetic. If you can get an impact torpedo right in it's side a little towards the bow from the bridge, you can often hit it's fuel tanks which will usually result in colourful explosions and a ship split in two.

It is possible to do this with a magnetic, but I have much less success while doing it. If I have to use a magnetic due to angle, I try to hit the rear part of the C2. This usually disables it, and lets me line up an impact torpedo for the kill (again, going for the fuel tank).

Impacts are very picky for the angle, so if they are in evasive manouvers, I almost always go magnetic.

OneTinSoldier77
04-25-2005, 01:20 AM
Hi,

I usually use impact. I try to get 90 degree AoB and as close to 0 degrees gyro angle as I can, of course. Set the depth to about 3 meters(+/- 1 meter). Seems like I get very few duds this way.

If AoB is not too good, then I'll try a magnetic, because 'impact only' will just bounce off if AoB is not good. I might not score a hit but at least it stands a better chance.

Aragorn87
04-25-2005, 02:22 AM
For some reason i find magnetic more reliable. LAst patrol i was on my way home and found a small merchant just adrift with one fish in my aft tube left. I lined the shot up, and for some reason wanted to try impact on perfect conditions. "Ding" Bounced off, if i set it for magnetic i garentee i would have had that tonnage haha.

Eclypse_1593
04-25-2005, 03:27 AM
I use magnetics almost exclusivly now. It took me a while to really get the hang of them, lest the depth seting is more of an art form then science, but now 90% of my shots use magnetic. For me they seem far more reliable then impacts.

The times when I use impact are these:

Any place north of england were the magnetic field messes with them.
In very bad weather, if it's a small ship that is bouncing real bad with the waves.
When the ship is already damaged and low in the water, making actual keel depth unknown. In this case, I line up for a finishing impact shot from abeam right into it's center.

Hope that helps! BTW, I set the depths for magnetic shots between .8 and 1.75 meters below the keel depending on the size of ship. Anyone found a more effecive depth setting?

ltforce
04-25-2005, 10:01 AM
i usually set them between 1 and 1.5 below the draft of the ship, the thing i hate most is when u run into a lone merchant in bad weather but dont have a good gyroangle on him so u have to use magnetic and it will blow up 100 yds before it hits either from the bad weather or around england with its funny magnetic force lol and then the ship spots it and flys away zig zagging http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif