PDA

View Full Version : New setup; help with joystick configuration?

jsshirley
02-19-2010, 10:54 AM
Hey guys,
I just picked up IL2, and have never played any real authentic sims. Very happy with it so far, but having a problem that is going to make me crazy.

I also do driving sims, and also have a steering wheel/pedal setup.

While this is plugged in, IL2 refuses to acknowledge my joystick (CH combatstick).

I've looked at the forums posts around this, the M4T guides, the Nugget guide and still can't sort it out.

I installed the game via Steam, and il2set just launches the game. This seems to be a known issue.

The Logitech Profiler says that the Steering/Pedal is on USB ID #2 (MOMO Racing on ID 2) (same screenshots as http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthre...edals_as_rudder.html (http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2827916/MOMO_racing_pedals_as_rudder.html) post #2832088)

Windows 7 USB Game Controller says the default device for older games is CH Combat Stick (#1).

Editing conf.ini to copy my settings from the 1X to 1X1, etc, makes no difference.

So, I go into Hardware -> Input and move the joystick. Nothing. I move the steering wheel, and it shows up.

Click on Hotas Control, clicking on either the ailerons and elevators and moving the joystick shows the corresponding "X-Axis ID2" or "Y-Axis ID2". If I move the wheel or pedals, it says "X-Axis" (no ID, so I presume that means the default ID1).

Can someone shed some light on this? I'm really going crazy and hate having to unplug my steering wheel just to use my joystick!

Thanks,
-J.

jsshirley
02-19-2010, 10:54 AM
Hey guys,
I just picked up IL2, and have never played any real authentic sims. Very happy with it so far, but having a problem that is going to make me crazy.

I also do driving sims, and also have a steering wheel/pedal setup.

While this is plugged in, IL2 refuses to acknowledge my joystick (CH combatstick).

I've looked at the forums posts around this, the M4T guides, the Nugget guide and still can't sort it out.

I installed the game via Steam, and il2set just launches the game. This seems to be a known issue.

The Logitech Profiler says that the Steering/Pedal is on USB ID #2 (MOMO Racing on ID 2) (same screenshots as http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthre...edals_as_rudder.html (http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2827916/MOMO_racing_pedals_as_rudder.html) post #2832088)

Windows 7 USB Game Controller says the default device for older games is CH Combat Stick (#1).

Editing conf.ini to copy my settings from the 1X to 1X1, etc, makes no difference.

So, I go into Hardware -> Input and move the joystick. Nothing. I move the steering wheel, and it shows up.

Click on Hotas Control, clicking on either the ailerons and elevators and moving the joystick shows the corresponding "X-Axis ID2" or "Y-Axis ID2". If I move the wheel or pedals, it says "X-Axis" (no ID, so I presume that means the default ID1).

Can someone shed some light on this? I'm really going crazy and hate having to unplug my steering wheel just to use my joystick!

Thanks,
-J.

Sokol__1
02-20-2010, 12:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Click on Hotas Control, clicking on either the ailerons and elevators and moving the joystick shows the corresponding "X-Axis ID2" or "Y-Axis ID2". If I move the wheel or pedals, it says "X-Axis" (no ID, so I presume that means the default ID1). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is "normal" in IL-2, your steering wheel assuming first ID, so for josytick assign axis for aileron, elevator, throttle, rudder in HOTAS section of IL-2.
The only real drawback is that you don't able to tweak axis in game for ID2, ID3... so use IL2JoyControl.

Sokol1

horseback
02-21-2010, 01:35 AM
This is a common problem; the game was first developed when most players still had Windows 98 and gameport sticks. It was a revelation to have a flight sim that supported up to four controllers, as this one does. Unfortunately, Windows doesn't permit the User to determine which of his controls should take priority.

You can fix this in the game two ways:

1) From the Main Menu, select Controls, and then scroll down to the bottom where it says HOTAS. There you will find the Aileron and Elevator axes (axises?). Select Ailerons and move your stick sideways to the right, then select Elevator, and pull it back. That selects your Combatstick (good choice; I have one too. Now invest in a set of Pro Pedals, and life will be truly good).

2) Or you can go the long route, via Input to HOTAS, which will put you in the same place.

If you are using the stick's buttons, you will also have to assign all of them and the POV hat to the desired functions at the same time. Since your system sees the steering wheel as your primary controller, none of the buttons on your Combatstick will work by 'default'.

You'll have to assign your trigger buttons and everything. It's a painstaking process the first time through, but once it's saved, you're all set for that user.

If you find that your ailerons or elevators are working bassackwards, simply hit your Escape key and select Controls on the menu offered. Then in Hotas section push the stick sideways to the Left and/or push the stick Forward to get your controls unreversed.

One little hint: trim is very useful on most aircraft in this game, so assign either joystick buttons to your elevator and rudder trims or reassign single keyboard keys instead of the two-key defaults (I recommend the arrow keys--they're off by themselves, and it's easy to pick out the one you want by touch).

Welcome and happy flying.

cheers

horseback

jsshirley
02-21-2010, 09:47 AM
Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies, but the problem is that after I go into the HOTAS controls and assign aileron/elevators to the joystick (which are properly recognized as ID2) it still fails to be the input.

Though now that I'm thinking about it, I think it may be because the steering wheel may be countering something.

If I edit the conf.ini, and set all the 1X/1Y values to 0 will that effectively turn off the wheel (which is on #1 apparently, at least that's what Il2 believes).

Thanks for the tip on trimming, I've been having a devil of with it. I'll see if it is easier using buttons on the stick.

I'll keep fiddling with the settings and see if I can't come up with something working.

FoolTrottel
02-21-2010, 10:21 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">it still fails to be the input. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Just ignore that Input screen for that matter.
That screen will only show the response of the first controller.

After assigning the HOTAS controls, just try and take a plane up ... you'll see the stick works...
Undo the changes to conf.ini, setting items to all zeroes may interfere with assigning the HOTAS controls should your order of controllers change...

jsshirley
02-21-2010, 10:39 AM
Ah, thanks!

Here I was sitting like a frustrated monkey wondering why the green square won't move.

I'll just leave it as is, and make sure the wheel is centered and away from me.

Thank you guys!

thefruitbat
02-21-2010, 10:52 AM
if you download the utility listed in FoolTrottles sig, IL2 joy control, you can see all the movements of your hotas there, including trims, rudder etc...

jsshirley
02-21-2010, 07:23 PM
Ok, the il2 joystick app is great. I also figured out that I was having some dead zone problems which was partly why I was having such difficulty trimming. Victory!

I think the hardest part now is I can't seem to get optimum cruising speed. Any tips? Any of the scenarios I've tried end up with me losing my flight group.

I've read the CEM posts, and have tried various throttle/pitch/fuel combinations and can't seem to get it.

Any other tips you guys want to share with a newbie? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Ba5tard5word
02-21-2010, 08:19 PM
I have a CH stick and pedals and when I first got them it was really frustrating getting them to work. I use the CH Control Manager software which combines them into one device which works well for Il-2.

For flying with CEM on at sea level (right off the ground) the main thing to do is just toggle the radiator, you really don't have to mess with anything else. Keep it closed when you want top speed and if you get an "engine overheat" message you have a certain amount of time you can keep the rad closed before your engine breaks, but eventually you'll want to open the rad and lower your throttle until you get the "engine normal" message.

Another thing to do is to set your supercharger to 1, some planes I think have them set higher when you spawn for some reason, and having it set above 1 at sea level will make you fly slower, but once you get to a certain altitude you'll have to switch it higher to get top speed. Fuel mix you can lower at higher altitudes to keep your engine running right. Prop pitch you need to lower if you're in a steep dive or you'll over-rev your engine and blow it out.

There is a page on Mission4Today that does a good job of explaining all this stuff.

So what you should maybe do at first is fly stuff like the Fw-190 and Bf-109 which have automatic fuel mix, supercharger and prop pitch settings, that way you can learn how to use the radiator to stay cool. Then you can move on to other planes. It's not that hard to learn, but it's confusing and intimidating at first.

FoolTrottel
02-21-2010, 11:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Any of the scenarios I've tried end up with me losing my flight group. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Do not try and climb with the group at first. Let them get to their height, and follow them while you keep your speed up, staying lower.
After some waypoints, their climb is over, they slow down, and you can climb up to them.