PDA

View Full Version : Difference in gunnery between Dora and Anton?

Noxx0s
08-26-2011, 10:58 PM
Is there a big difference cause I have much higher accuracy when I'm in an Anton... is the ROF slower on the Dora or something?

Noxx0s
08-26-2011, 10:58 PM
Is there a big difference cause I have much higher accuracy when I'm in an Anton... is the ROF slower on the Dora or something?

TipsyTed
08-27-2011, 01:35 AM
Are you saying you have better hit ratio in Anton? That's interesting, I'd expect accuracy being generally better in Dora since it has all of its guns close to centerline as opposed to Anton with two additional cannons outside prop arc.

Noxx0s
08-27-2011, 02:44 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">better in Dora since it has all of its guns close to centerline as opposed to Anton with two additional </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I know right? I must be doing something wrong clearly... With the Anton I probably average around 8-9% with the Dora it's more like 4-5%.

Bremspropeller
08-27-2011, 04:48 AM
The Anton has two guns more - those two are on the mid-wing-position (more flexible towards the line-of-sight compared to the fuselage-mounted guns), leading to a greater dispersion and bullet-spread, in turn leading to a higher hitting-propability (shotgun-effect).

JtD
08-27-2011, 06:24 AM
Maybe it's the type of target you are attacking.

Noxx0s
08-27-2011, 06:54 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bremspropeller:
The Anton has two guns more - those two are on the mid-wing-position (more flexible towards the line-of-sight compared to the fuselage-mounted guns), leading to a greater dispersion and bullet-spread, in turn leading to a higher hitting-propability (shotgun-effect). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doesnt explain my overall better accuracy. If anything it should be less with the anton because of the dispersion.

Bremspropeller
08-27-2011, 07:02 AM
Depends on how far off your aim is - when your initial aim just barely misses the target, a wider dispersion will actually give you a better gun-stat http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

VW-IceFire
08-27-2011, 08:57 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by IcyScythe:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bremspropeller:
The Anton has two guns more - those two are on the mid-wing-position (more flexible towards the line-of-sight compared to the fuselage-mounted guns), leading to a greater dispersion and bullet-spread, in turn leading to a higher hitting-propability (shotgun-effect). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doesnt explain my overall better accuracy. If anything it should be less with the anton because of the dispersion. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Try flying the Anton with the wing guns removed and see what your accuracy is then. The configuration at that point would be virtually identical (except for the lighter machine guns).

JtD
08-27-2011, 10:11 AM
Or the F-8, where it is identical.

Wildnoob
08-27-2011, 10:40 AM
The rate of roll o the Anton is superior by a good margin, could be this or other flight characteristic that is making him score better?

TipsyTed
08-27-2011, 11:15 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by IcyScythe:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">better in Dora since it has all of its guns close to centerline as opposed to Anton with two additional </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I know right? I must be doing something wrong clearly... With the Anton I probably average around 8-9% with the Dora it's more like 4-5%. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Also, it could be solely psychological - when flying Anton you know that you have to hit your target at about convergence range to maximize firepower (get all guns on target). While flying Dora you might be shooting from longer ranges due to centralized weapons and less convergence issues, which drops accuracy.

Also, with Dora you have less chances to destroy your target in a single pass which might result in you opening fire from longer ranges.

In other words, perhaps you are more disciplined when shooting from Anton about the range at which you open fire.

WTE_Galway
08-27-2011, 11:17 PM
Also consider that some of the Antons (thinking particular of an A8 with a pair of mk108 in the wings) will demolish anything they manage even a barely glancing hit on.

Ba5tard5word
08-28-2011, 03:46 AM
With the Antons generally I fire a burst with my main guns and use them as tracers, then when I figure I have a good bead I use my secondary gun. I think that makes a difference because you're firing in four cannons and two piddly mg's with decent sighting, which adds up. With the Dora you can use your piddly MG's to sight but then you only have your two cannons to fire when you have a good bead.

With the Anton it always feels like I'm firing a big wall of bullets, I can get good hits and good kills at 400m out. With almost any other plane I have to get more like around 200m out to get good hits and kills.

ROXunreal
08-29-2011, 04:35 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ba5tard5word:
With the Anton it always feels like I'm firing a big wall of bullets </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tell me about it, half the time I don't even see the target from all the tracer smoke after I open fire.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I can get good hits and good kills at 400m out. With almost any other plane I have to get more like around 200m out to get good hits and kills. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For me it's different, I always had pretty high success at long range sniping shots with the Dora, at planes that are running away as far as 600 meters away. Not so much with the anton, the wing guns firing both have a small chance to hit the target due to how far they are away from the centerline, and more importantly, add to the plane's instability as a gun platform when they are shooting. Add that the Dora is also faster thus inherently more stable if you're shooting at something far away while chasing it at near full speed, I'll always prefer the Dora for long range shooting.

I still like the Anton more though, from A4 to A6 anyway, newer variants are much outclassed by their contemporary foes. With an Anton I just prefer to get as close as I can and open up, usually it's enough http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif Though spraying and praying for far targets works too, but it's still spraying and praying, while the Dora has much more precision in that regard IMO.