PDA

View Full Version : OT Borthers in Arms

3.JG51_BigBear
03-18-2005, 07:35 PM
I know its off topic but its another UBI title and we're all WW2 fans here. This game is unbelievable. Blows medal of honor and call of duty out of the water. The immersion is fantastic, so much realism, all the way down to the way you need to aim weapons (more realistic than anything I've seen in any first person shooter) and the squad command system is extremely easy to use and has a very realistic feel. Graphics are outstanding and the character models and environments are very detailed and highly animated. Weapons sounds are right out of the movies and this is probably the first game ever to really get the sound of the grenade down (not quite as loud as the real thing but the sound is definitely there). This is far and away the best shooter I've ever played (half life has better graphics but it doesn't have anything on brothers' gameplay).

The game is system intensive. On my lan machine with a 3.2 GHz P4, 2 gigs of ram, and an Nvidia 6800Gt it ran awesome. On my online computer with a 2.8 P4 1 gig and a Nvidia 5500OC it ran about mid range on all the options at 1024x768. I highly recommend this game, definite buy if you like world war 2 stuff.

3.JG51_BigBear
03-18-2005, 07:35 PM
I know its off topic but its another UBI title and we're all WW2 fans here. This game is unbelievable. Blows medal of honor and call of duty out of the water. The immersion is fantastic, so much realism, all the way down to the way you need to aim weapons (more realistic than anything I've seen in any first person shooter) and the squad command system is extremely easy to use and has a very realistic feel. Graphics are outstanding and the character models and environments are very detailed and highly animated. Weapons sounds are right out of the movies and this is probably the first game ever to really get the sound of the grenade down (not quite as loud as the real thing but the sound is definitely there). This is far and away the best shooter I've ever played (half life has better graphics but it doesn't have anything on brothers' gameplay).

The game is system intensive. On my lan machine with a 3.2 GHz P4, 2 gigs of ram, and an Nvidia 6800Gt it ran awesome. On my online computer with a 2.8 P4 1 gig and a Nvidia 5500OC it ran about mid range on all the options at 1024x768. I highly recommend this game, definite buy if you like world war 2 stuff.

RedDeth
03-18-2005, 07:46 PM
all the reviews have stated the same thing. that it blows away medal of honor and call of duty.

i went to get it at frys electronics out in CA and it wasnt in stock. its on sale price thru tuesday for 37.99

darkhorizon11
03-20-2005, 03:18 PM
Really? I returned it for Call of Duty UO. Wayyyy too short, and its too limited.

Not a bad game, just not my tastes. That and its one of those games where your squad mates say the same cheezy things over and over again... I hate that.

MarkGos
03-20-2005, 06:44 PM
Squad mates repeating chezzy things like:-

2 Weeks
Be sure
IBTL
.50 cal can destroy a tiger tank
Spitfires are uber

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

sukebeboy
03-20-2005, 07:07 PM
It's a terrible game. It's about as realistic as a GI Joe cartoon and only marginally more interactive.

It's pretty much as I expected in terms of an overly simplistic command system which looks like a Full Spectrum Warrior ripoff.

Most encounters play out more like a simplistic puzzle game. OK, there are the Germans, "Stinky, you lay down cover while I look at the map. Oh, what do you know? I convineintly placed wall allowing us to flank said Germans and shoot them. "

Wash, rinse, repeat.

The encounter ranges are far too close, the Germans don't really seem to do much besides run to their pre-scripted positions, fire and wait for you to flank them and then die. They never move positions thmselves as the the tactics evolve.

The maps are stupid, linear rat-in-a-maze type affairs. Follow the narrowly defined corridor deliniated by inpenetrable shrubbery on one side and stone walls or barbed wire on the other. No, you can't get through that bush, it's just too dense. No, you can't climb over that 2 foot high cattle fence, 2 feet is just too high. No, you can't go over or through that barbed wire fence, the barbs are just too pointy.

Bullets don't seem to do too much damage. They can't penetrate thin cover like interior walls or thin wooden planking, and even if you do take damage, you're miraculously healed at the beginning of the next mission. The bullets must be light as a feather as well as you carry a ridiculous amount of ammo.

The game is supposed to make you care about your squad mates and feel loss if they die, but you don't because they magically reappear, hale and hearty, at the beginning of each level unless they died in a non interactive cut scene.

It's a pretty mediocre game and I'm sure it will sell like hotcakes and the usual band of idiots who have never seem combat outside of an episode of Band of Brothers will declare it to be the most intense, realistic WWII game ever!!!!!

It's garbage. Stick with Hidden and Dangerous 2 or World War II Online.

ImpStarDuece
03-20-2005, 07:19 PM
I cant wait for the Invasion 1944 mod of Operation Flashpoint that is coming out. For free even! It looks amazing, kind of taking the obsessive level of detail in the IL2 serise and applying it to a ground combat sim. I couldn't believe I was looking at the same game I used to play. The setting is Normandy 1944 and so far I think they are only modelling German and US forces, but there are enough great British Army mods out there that you could throw into the game. The 'islands' look stunning too.

I think I actually may of lost my OFP disks but this mod look like it will have me rooting round the bargain bins trying to fnd the Gold Pack. Some of the modelers hang out on the Netwing forum and they occasionally post updates there, which look totally amazing. Give them 6-8 months and they should be finished.

RedDeth
03-20-2005, 07:23 PM
sukebeboy every single slam you threw at brothers in arms applies to medal of honor and also call of duty.

if your going to be critical tell us why its worse than those other games. or do you hate all fps games

sukebeboy
03-20-2005, 07:38 PM
I give some credit to Medal of Honour: Allied Assault as it was the first of it's type and introduced some cinematic qualities to the game. I still didn't care for it though.

As for hating FPS's, not at all. What I do hate are companies and supposedly "professional" review sites working hand in glove to tout the latest Quake mod with WWII skins as "the deepest, most realistic shooter yet!" and then suffering though the legions of 15 year old fanboys slavishly repeating the mantra on every forum.

I'm a big history buff and I get annoyed at these types of games, so, here are my thoughts on some recent WWII FPS releases.

I want something that comes as close to approximating reality as possible. I don't get off on instant health packs, the ability to mow down 100 enemies per level, scripted sequences, unlimited enemy spawns or engagement ranges of 10-20 metres or so. Also, I'm usually only interested in the single player experience. Most multiplayer games bore me to tears as they are too repetative, suffer from small maps and are inherently without point.

<span class="ev_code_RED">Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault: </span> Totally unrealistic action game, but nice graphics and at least it's not the same old, I'm a U.S. G.I. fighting on the beaches of Normandy and hedgerows of France again. I liked all the extra stuff on the DVD like propaganda posters and movies. There is rudimentary squad control in that you can order your mates to move up, rally on you, lay down fire, and so on. Offers up about 20 hours of game play. Most levels are fun even though they break all the rules I described above. The levels where you must fly are pure torture though.

<span class="ev_code_RED">Call of Duty: </span> I know I'm in the minority here, but I absolutely hate this game. It's a pathetic 7 or so hours of gameplay but that gameplay sucks. You're basically on rails the whole time. The levels are totally scripted, so there is almost no replay value. You follow along the only path available to you, shoot down hoardes of enemies, and have no interaction with the rest of your squad or the environment. Hell, you can't even open a door or break a window. Sure, it has great production values and looks nice, but so what? It's like taking out a really hot chick who happens to be a ******ed mute with a yeast infection. Sure, she looks great and you can show her off to yoru friends, but it's not like she's good for anything else.

<span class="ev_code_RED">Brothers in Arms: </span>I haven't finished it yet, but so far I'm not impressed. This supposedly realistic shooter features overly simplistic squad controls. You have 2 elements which you can order to move to a position, lay down cover, or assault a position, and that's basically it. It's really limited in that you can't even order your elements to move somewhere outside your own line of sight. Again, the level maps are too narrowly defined, so you find yourself stuck following the path that the designers want you to follow. Each encounter basically devolves into a simple map reading puzzle excercise like Full Spectrum Warrior. Find the path to the flank of the enemy, move there or send an element there and shoot down the enemy. They don't seem to react to being flanked other than to shoot at the flanking units. They should at least try and flank you or fall back to a new defensive position to counter the threat, but they don't.

I highly recommend <span class="ev_code_RED">Hidden and Dangerous 2</span>. It offers a depth of control both over your individual soldier and the squad he commands that the other games don't even come close to approaching. The maps are totally open-ended so that you are free to attempt to carry out your mission orders however you see fit. Want to snipe from a distance? Fine. Want to sneak up to that Panzer unit, take them out, steal their tank and wreak havoc on the enemy with it? Fine. Want to use stealth, sneak your way into your objective site and take out the enemy with silenced weapons and knives, Fine. It offers up about 30 hours of single player game play (and another 10 if you buy the Sabre Squardron expansion). It's not as easy or as simple to pick up as the others and consquently isn't as well known, but if you like to do a bit of thinking while you play, this is the one to get.

Multi-player: As I said, I don't normally play online games, but <span class="ev_code_RED">WWII Online</span> is the exception. Great game with tonnes of immersion, huge maps, the ability to play not only as infantry, but also tank, ship, antitank, anti air, fighter, or bombers crews, and the most realistic ballistics modelling seen in a game all make it worthwhile, even if it is getting long in the tooth.

<span class="ev_code_RED">Operation Flashpoint </span> is a great game as long as you stick with infantry and stay away from driving armour or flying. There are some very good WWII mods, but sadly, no total conversion yet.

<span class="ev_code_RED">Deadly Dozen: Pacific Theatre</span> is a pretty ****ed good game for a budget title.

sukebeboy
03-21-2005, 04:13 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RedDeth:
sukebeboy every single slam you threw at brothers in arms applies to medal of honor and also call of duty.

if your going to be critical tell us why its worse than those other games. or do you hate all fps games <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So, no comments?

TgD Thunderbolt56
03-21-2005, 07:29 AM
I'll comment,

First, I appreciate the thought and description you've written here. I have all those titles and, for the most part, am in agreement with you...H&D2 is the best IMO.

I liked the MOHAA series for the same reasons you stated. It was a new game with some interesting features that offered a feel heretofor unattained in WWII FPS games...but linear.

TB

darkhorizon11
03-22-2005, 07:27 PM
I like Call of Duty. It may be scripted but the first time you play it it's more realistic than BF 1942 or WWII online. It would be nice if you could give commands though thats my big knock on it.

I'm not a graphics junkies, although important visuals aren't that big of a deal...

Anyways I stand behind Call of Duty because its fun and it was one of the first games to impliment breathing, imperfect sighting and some of the more human effects in FPS.

Plus, be skeptic all you want but it looks like COD2 is going to be absolutely amazing, theres a good article about it PC Gamer. Once again their pushing the limits.

3.JG51_BigBear
03-22-2005, 07:43 PM
The only games I judge on realism are flight sims, its all about how much fun I'm having with everything else. I had a lot of fun with Brothers in Arms. It was too short but it had a lot of action, good sound, and the controls were intuative. It was missing somethings and certainly didn't live up to its hype but it was a heck of a lot of fun and I'm still enjoying it on my second time through.

Blackdog5555
03-22-2005, 08:01 PM
About the georgeous girl who is a ******ed deaf mute with a yeast infection. Got her number? I'll date her. Good for a BJ. And you dont have to listen about her day! LOL.

Yes HD2 is great. I only played the demo. very tough level.

LBR_W.Zellot
03-22-2005, 09:44 PM
sukebeboy, i agree 100%

MOHAA was a blast when it came out, nice graphics and good AI(The playstation version ROCKED!)

CoD was normandy all over again, and not much innovations(played at a buddy's house and never again)

BIA seems to head the same way(airborne, normandy, yawn).

H&D2 is simply fantastic. After you lay that game, and after you taste all the freedom it gives you, it's hard to go to these blockbuster scripted FPS again IMO. Hope that Illusion is getting good sales.

BTW, the only scripted FPS I really liked was Vietcong, mainly for the immersion and "omg i'm lost in the jungle and I can't see the vietcongs but they are shooting at me" kinda stuff http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

However, I'm still waiting to see a H&D-like game where you can play as a german soldier(I simply flipped off in joy when I could get a german uniform in H&D http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif)
Too bad there is all the "nazi" stigma over the WWII german soldier, even though some of them were ruthless and brainwashed, a good share of them were somewhat honored. And bloody tough http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Chivalric war ended with the Afrika Korps, they say http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Xiolablu3
03-22-2005, 09:52 PM
I'm loving this game, it really rocks.

The best WW2 shooter out I reckon, just shading call of duty.

I love the way you can control your squads, simple and easy.

Just one thing, turn off that **** suppression meter, it ruins the realism.

LW_lcarp
03-22-2005, 11:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
Just one thing, turn off that **** suppression meter, it ruins the realism. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Goto options its under there

JG54_Arnie
03-23-2005, 01:34 AM
You people need this:

Red Orchestra (http://www.redorchestra.clanservers.com/)

With the upcoming version 3.2 which will be released soon this is gonna be even better! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

carguy_
03-23-2005, 01:50 AM
I agree with sukebeboy with all the flaws.However I believe that in FPS environment we don`t have enough PC power to do it nowadays.The first thing is graphics,gameplay the second.No FPS boy will even touch a game that has graphics equal or worse than its predecessor.

FPS is not meant to be a realistic WWII game.Game makers don`t know a single thing about WWII combat other than those from WWII Hollywood movies.

Longjocks
03-23-2005, 02:00 AM
Sukebeboy, you've saved me a lot of typing as I generally agree with you. I don't agree with every point, but I'm not passionate enough about the subject to debate silly little details.

My opinion differs for BIA only in that I find it a fun game overall. It's certainly not what I expected and it suffers in so many ways. However I'm having fun playing it. It's a medium between a normal shooter like COD and more tactical FPS games.

I agree with OFP's flaws, but I'm a true fan of the game... enough said.

DONB3397
03-23-2005, 08:36 AM
"La critique est aisée mais l'art est difficile"

When you find one you like, let us know.

fherathras
03-23-2005, 08:53 AM
VIETCONG

kicks butt http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Capt._Tenneal
03-25-2005, 08:27 AM
I know the reviews are great and everyone's ga-ga over this but nothing is making me get BIA at the moment.

-- Normandy has been done to death in games. The reason IL-2 appealed to me was it was in a new area. COD/UO for all it's faults, at least sent you all over the landscape so you got variety in that you played 3 nationalities with different weapon types and areas to fight.

-- Let me see : 8 days in Normandy versus playing the entire war 1939-45 in SHIII ? Which of these two big UBI titles released this past week did you think I picked up ? Hint : I'm watching Das Boot and not Band of Brothers again.

-- I don't play multiplayer online, so that part of BIA is useless to me.

I'll pick up BIA eventually, just not now at full price. Maybe in the Gold Pack version with it's (obviously) soon-to-come sequels so I can get my money's worth.

Jazz68_
03-25-2005, 10:29 AM
Horrible arcade game in all aspects! And I agree Vietcong is much better, it got terrific AI.

Sultan_of_Swing
03-25-2005, 12:01 PM
It's a huge disappointment. Very arcadey, and just plain silly. Takes itself way too seriously with the somber voice overs and music ala Saving Private you know who. The graphics are just plain poor.

BVN is better IMO. You can at least get through the bushes or jump a fence. Don't bother.

J_Weaver
03-25-2005, 12:13 PM
Most fps are fun for a little while. Since Band of Brothers came out there has been a case of airborne mania sweeping the country. Its as bad as the plague. Normandy has been way over done. The only time i get a fps is when someone gives it to me as a gift. The one thing that really bugs me about all fps is how the ai won't die. I can't tell you how many times I've shot an ai dead in the chest with an M1 Garand or a Mauser 98K and they get up. Thats not realism folks.

Sorry, a bit a a rant there. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/1072.gif

darkhorizon11
03-25-2005, 12:31 PM
I bought BIA and beat it a day and a half later I was dissappointed with the initial product honestly.

On the other hand:
The graphics are amazing although I couldn't turn them all the way up on my computer. The RTS idea with commanding troops is a good idea too adds to the realism.
Like SHII and IL2 this game is another big commitment. Give it some time and it'll be great there will probably be an Ardenne, Med/Italy, even a Pacific addon. Put em all together and the game has a lot of potential. Its just that I have a busy life outside IL2 and I can't fiscally or dynamically afford another commitment.

I have been a COD fan, like I said earlier love it or hate it, it basically set the standard for BIA. If you get the chance read the article for COD 2 in PC Gamer, once again Infinity Ward is going to blow us all away this in Q2005, hopefully. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

BullShark 71
03-26-2005, 10:28 AM
Not getting this,probably another CoD or MoH ,where its every few feet there will be an enemy AI on the left or the right or if your lucky one in a window, you can guarantee it.As far as realism goes in fps games I think its a waste of a developers time,while some realism is nice overall the average gamer doesnt want to spend an hour or in some cases months to shoot a rifle or just learn to play a GAME.Thus making the game to complicated for anyone to bear except maybe a few hundred people,probably about what youd find online.Unfortunately in the money making end of things realism doesnt pay off.

I prefer Battlefield 1942 and Battlefield Vietnam ,this way I ban actually feel some sense of a Battlefield and not feel like Im fighting for a city block ,or small section of a cowfield with 1 trench.Sure its arcade I know just like all the other games out there ,but its **** sure fun and you can bet youll have several thousand online playing at any given time ,because its fun and eitherway its wits against wits no matter what.

The single player on the other hand the AI are dumb as a box of rocks which sucks,though the next Big w release for this Numerous Game of The Year series winner is going to be battlefield 2,in this the are going to have AI which will flank ,cover fire,even drop c4 at a flag and wait til u get close and they will set it off.The Ai will be squad based (numerous squads at 1 time btw)and they will support each other.

They are adding alot to the series including a squad leader role(gives commands ,sets waypoints,in multiplayer) and a Commander role that will see a rts view of the battlefield and perform ammo drops,get sattelite images,call for arty etc... anywyas to much to explain ,but they have reworked the physics and its going to be far better that the past 2,

quote::
An all-new game engine and physics system brings the modern battlefield to life like never before. The new material penetration feature measures weapons€ ability to fire through barriers based on their composition and players will need to know the difference between concealment and cover in order to survive.

Battlefield 2 features immense, richly detailed, destructible environments, from city streets to remote forests, in some of the most notorious hot spots around the world. Each map in Battlefield 2 adjusts in scale to support the number of players in the world, providing the ideal vehicle- to-player ratio and an optimized gameplay experience ------

check these vids:

http://www.eagames.com/official/battlefield/battlefield2/us/videos.jsp

Anyways Im not flaming anygames ,I will buy CoD 2 and finish it and let it collect dust as this one is It was fun just repetitive,for me I use the IL2/PF for realism and BF for fun,and going to SH3 very soon.

darkhorizon11
03-26-2005, 03:25 PM
Battlefied and WWII Online are great concepts the big problem though is there is no order or real objectives its just a game of capture the flag.

What would make a game like that amazing if there was a chain of command. You are given ratings and the ability of command your troops even in multiplayer. If someone doesn't listen you can boot them. A rating system could be included and as your rating increases your rank increases. This ranking could be based on your effiency and how many of your soldiers survive each mission not just if you win or lose.

That would be the perfect merge between scripted and unscripted FPS games.

BullShark 71
03-26-2005, 03:29 PM
Quoted from the link:

The award-winning Battlefield franchise invades the high tech frontlines of modern warfare in the new sequel, Battlefield 2". The game brings the intensity and excitement of Battlefield 1942" into the modern era with enhanced team play and the latest, most technologically advanced vehicles and weapons systems available to man.

In Battlefield 2, players will choose to fight for one of three military superpowers: the United States, the Chinese, or the newly formed Middle East Coalition. Armed with the latest modern weaponry, players can take control of any of the game€s 30+ vehicles to engage in major conflicts with over 64 players in some of the largest online battles on the PC. Additionally, persistent character growth allows players to rise through the ranks and attain the ultimate rank of General.

An all-new game engine and physics system brings the modern battlefield to life like never before. The new material penetration feature measures weapons€ ability to fire through barriers based on their composition and players will need to know the difference between concealment and cover in order to survive.

Battlefield 2 features immense, richly detailed, destructible environments, from city streets to remote forests, in some of the most notorious hot spots around the world. Each map in Battlefield 2 adjusts in scale to support the number of players in the world, providing the ideal vehicle- to-player ratio and an optimized gameplay experience.

Enhanced team play features allow players to enter the action on the front lines as part of a formal squad, or work behind the scenes in Commander Mode to direct the strategic assaults of their teammates.

Soldier kits now affect vehicles that players utilize on the battlefield. For instance, the medic kit can transform a vehicle into a mobile aid station and the support kit can make helicopters into flying ammo dumps.......

I add also they are gonna have iron sights,and many other features new from before,but the ranking system should be pretty sweet ,you will get points if your team wins or on how good they do.Also you will get points for defense,repairing vehicles ,medic...lol...they even got a defibilator for the wounded....Its going to be awesome ...but to each his own,everyone has there game ya know.

Chuck_Older
03-26-2005, 04:09 PM
H&D2 is fantastic.

Operation:Flashpoint is still the Il-2 of ground combat games, though- as long as you stay on your feet and don't use vehicles

When is OFP2 coming out? is it even still coming out?

I was going to buy BIA, but then I heard that the player couldn't go prone http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif Uh...why not? I also heard the player can't lean...again, nobody likes to peek around corners and/or they didn't really do that? SHoot, if I was crossing a street while in a war zone, I'd poke my little pink nose out real quick, to see if the coast was clear! I guess they didn't know that trick in the '40s? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif